Makeup Palettes, Which to buy?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking at all of the posts about BH cosmetics and Coastal Scents and can't decide which palettes to buy.  Which do you suggest and why? Or do you suggest another brand?  Thanks for your help!

BH Cosmetics and Costal Scents are essentially the same thing. I just ordered the Costal Scents 252 palette, I can not waiiittt to get it. If you are just starting out I hear good things about the 88 original and the 88 warm.

I have several from BH Cosmetics and I really love them! I also love that they constantly run sales and let you use promo codes, so that helps save a lot! My absolute favorite thing from BH Cosmetics would be their eyeliner...both the liquid and the pencil...I've never found a better eyeliner! It blows the Urban Decay ones I use out of the water! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Wow, I will need to get some of those eyeliners.  Where do you find the promo codes and which BH palettes do you recommend?

BH Cosmetics is actually one of our (past?) advertisers and I know they run specials ALL the time on their website. Keep an eye on their Steal of the Day because they run some great sales there. Shipping is... well not expensive ($7 I think) but in a day and age where people expect free shipping on everything it can look expensive. I see it as a couple of gallons of gas that my SUV guzzles driving across town.

http://www.bhcosmetics.com/steal-of-the-day

http://www.bhcosmetics.com/omg-sale/

I got the Coastal Scents 252 palette not that long ago, and I'm absolutely in love with it! Even the colors I was a little skeptical about turned out to be super wearable, and it was a nice mix of mattes and shimmers.

I have a Shany palette that has become my fave! The colors are so vibrant and loud, I love it! I've also got a few Nyx palettes that I always go to, I Dream of St. Kitt has some nice neutral colors. 

I have the Stila Dreamweaver palette and it is a really nice palette.  The colors are really pigmented with a lot of options.

BH has great palettes! I need to put up swatches, but my camera busted. Might just have to use my camera phone lol.

Suggestion... just stay away from a full matte palette as mattes are a PITA to work with.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Suggestion... just stay away from a full matte palette as mattes are a PITA to work with.
Yeah true. It does take skill to apply them properly (the look you're trying to achieve). As they say, practice, practice, practice...

When I hire assistants for the show I am working on, this is one of the criteria I look for.

Even though the name suggests all of the colors are matte, there are definitely some shimmery shades.

Originally Posted by Elara /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, I will need to get some of those eyeliners.  Where do you find the promo codes and which BH palettes do you recommend?
Just grabbed the palettes I have to look at the names. I have four different ones:

-10 Color Palette Professional Blush (I get a lot of use out of this one! Very pigmented colors)

-28 Color Palette Neutral Eyeshadow - (I like to mix the colors in this one with my UD Naked 1 & 2 palettes for different looks).

-6 Color Palette Contour & Blush - I love to contour with this palette! 

-120 Color Palette Eyeshadow (5th Edition). Tons of gorgeous matte & shimmery colors in this one! To be honest, you don't need the 28 neutral one if you get this (It has a ton of great neutrals in addition to other colors! I didn't know that before I bought it.)

I also have several of their lip glosses and eyeliners. The lip glosses are very pigmented and not sticky. Their black eyeliners (both pencil and liquid pen) are honestly some of the best I've ever used! I also really like the two brushes that I've tried from there as much as my Sigmax brushes (that's saying a LOT!). I have their large fan brush, and their highlighting brush...both are excellent quality and have not shed on me yet.

I've ordered from BH twice now; they have very fast shipping and constantly run sales. I used promo codes both times and got some things on their "Steal of the Day". They run different coupon codes online depending on the things you might want to order, so a good way to check the current ones is on the retailmenot  website. Hope that helps! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I read good things about the Coastal Scents eyeshadow palettes and bought a few of the travel ones on Amazon (Sydney, Iceland, Paris, London, Moscow..) I was really disappointed with them. I found them to be low quality and difficult to apply and blend. My vote for low cost but still nice, blendable and fun colors goes to Wet-n-Wild palettes.

Hi!  I am new here!  I see you talking about BH Cosmetics so I checked it out.  Are they really good?  I have a hard time in my head thinking that a $20 palette is as good as or better than an UD palette.  I have never used it so I have no reference.  I do really love the NYX bare palette and think it is as good as UD and 1/2 the price.  I like very heavy pigmented shadows.  I love the bang of an amazing color.  

Thanks for your feedback!

Deana

Latest posts

Back