What Have You Over Paid For?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In other words, in the past, what item did you over pay for and then later on (whether it be days, weeks, months or even years later) realize you've over paid for it?  Here's my example.  When I first got hardcore into makeup and *gasp* discovered Sephora, I did what most people do naturally, purchase some of their most popular products sold and raved about online. This meant (and yes I still remember my first Sephora order, it was a magic moment lol), that I ordered Diorshow Mascara, Tarte Cheek Stain blush in Dollface, Shu Uemera eyelash curler, Nars Orgasm blush and Nars Orgasm lipgloss.  While the Cheek Stain didn't work for me, all my other purchases I was generally happy about.

Months later, after purchasing my 3rd tube of Diorshow I decided to try a cheaper alternative and got Loreals Voluminous mascara.  I was surprised and then furious at myself for having spent so much money on a mascara that gave me the same results as a $5-8 drugstore mascara. When I tried Flirt!'s Heart throb blush, a good pinker dupe for Orgasm, I was even more astonished at how much better the $12 blushed looked on me and it suited me much better. 

My cheaper choices didn't diminish the quality the their higher end "sisters" but it did teach me that high end does not neccessarily equal better quality. 

I just have so much make-up in general (and bath & beauty products), and I run a blog, so I receive PR samples on occasion. I do wish I hadn't purchased some things that I have been, but it's gotten to the point where anything I buy I really have to consider why because I have so much that it's very easy to regret the tiniest purchase.

A couple months back I got suckered into buying a couple Benefit products when they were having a little event at the mall. I ended up buying the creme eyeshadow in Birthday suit for $19. I mean, I like it, but it's not fantastic. I also bought the Hervana blush. It really broke me out. I paid $28 for that. When I got up to the register and the lady told me it was over $50 I almost peed my pants. A that point she had already put the stuff on me and spent time. Talk about pressure!

I regret the purchase because I haven't touched the eyeshadow in months and the blush is sitting on my sister's bookshelf, unused. If I had gone to the drugstore and wanted to spend $50, I could've gotten things I would LOVE. I'll never fall for the employees gimmicks again.

To be honest, pretty much everything...

I went through this phase early on when I was getting into makeup and beauty stuff where I had the idea that only high end stuff was worth it, and that was where I would spend all of my money. That $25 eyeshadow? A must have! A $35 detangling spray? Well, obviously a must have! Now I've gotten a lot better about realizing that high end doesn't necessarily mean high quality, and when I do purchase items, I'm turning to the drugstore the vast majority of the time now. I wouldn't say that I'm never going to purchase high end again, but it'll definitely be only for special occasions and heavily researched before I buy. I've paid way too much money for things that I've been disappointed in. 

Kind of a depressing but interesting topic, for sure.... I think pretty much everything I've purchased on impulse,I have over paid for. My MAC pigments, the $40+ tax Lancôme mascara and the $40 shiseido lash primer, even the Shiseido Bioperformance cream I loved so much at $120 a jar. I've been making my own mineral foundation, skin cream and styling wax for the last 3 years now. Way way better for my wallet.

I've only regretted when I've bought into a hype and not wound up liking it. Thankfully, MOST of the hypes I've fallen for LATELY have just been drugstore items. But I still hate how much I used to spend on MAC and UD.

I buy a lot of things on clearance just because they are cheap and I'm interested in trying it out. I usually don't put much thought into it and a lot of times I regret it. I should take a closer look at what I buy instead of being blinded by the discount! 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've only regretted when I've bought into a hype and not wound up liking it. Thankfully, MOST of the hypes I've fallen for LATELY have just been drugstore items. But I still hate how much I used to spend on MAC and UD.
Oh gosh, the amount of money I used to spend on MAC!! I used to follow the MAC LiveJournal community and would get all caught up in the hype of limited edition this and discontinued that. I want to go back to my former self and slap her stupid for not saving that money or at least for not spending on an awesome vacation.

Originally Posted by alphaloria /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh gosh, the amount of money I used to spend on MAC!! I used to follow the MAC LiveJournal community and would get all caught up in the hype of limited edition this and discontinued that. I want to go back to my former self and slap her stupid for not saving that money or at least for not spending on an awesome vacation.
Or even just waiting to see what people thought of something AFTER launch?

(The Beth Ditto stuff--which I did not buy--is a great example of something that the old me woulda jumped on....but after reading the reviews....wasn't even tempted)

Everything.

That's because of the lack of pro discounts on brands available here in Canada. MAC being one and there is only one MUFE counter/store in all of Canada that offers a pro discount. Yeah, there are make-up stores in the bigger well-known make-up schools that offer a small discount, but I guess that's better than nothing.

I find that I am a lot more likely to impulse purchase at the drugstore than I am at Sephora! If I'm going to spend $ for it then I've most likely done my research and whatnot, but at the drugstore I'm like "oh, cool!" and end up spending more $$ than I intended.

I try to be very picky about my makeup purchases... Not entirely sure I succeed though! haha

Benefit's Brows A-Go-Go, which was $38.  I use 2 out of the 6 products in that set.  Just total overkill and I'm sure there is a good drug store brow wax/shadow for a fraction of the price.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Or even just waiting to see what people thought of something AFTER launch?

(The Beth Ditto stuff--which I did not buy--is a great example of something that the old me woulda jumped on....but after reading the reviews....wasn't even tempted)
Oh yes, that too!

I haven't been tempted by any of the launches since I can't even tell you. 2005? 06? I got to a point where nothing looked unique to me anymore so I stopped going to the store except for my trust Phone Number eye kohl. I still use some stuff I have, but most of it's long gone and not really missed. I agree about the Beth Ditto. I used to go for the fun, kitchy stuff and then use it once and forget about it.

A Kat Von D palette... paid full price only for it to go on clearance a month later at 50% less.

Originally Posted by shandimessmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just have so much make-up in general (and bath & beauty products), and I run a blog, so I receive PR samples on occasion. I do wish I hadn't purchased some things that I have been, but it's gotten to the point where anything I buy I really have to consider why because I have so much that it's very easy to regret the tiniest purchase.
That's the way I feel. I always thought my collection could never be too big and now I'm at the point where sit down at my vanity, can't decide what to use and then think, "Dang, how the eff did my stash get so big!" I've really downsized now. If I see something I really love I have to think really hard about it before I buy and why I'm buying it so that I don't regret it later or find something extremely similar in my collection. 

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kind of a depressing but interesting topic, for sure....
I got in a depressing mood thinking about this when I noticed one of my Maybelline tattoo shadows was almost an exact dupe for a MUFE aqua cream. Then I thought about other things I'd overspent on *sigh*.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn Dahy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I buy a lot of things on clearance just because they are cheap and I'm interested in trying it out. I usually don't put much thought into it and a lot of times I regret it. I should take a closer look at what I buy instead of being blinded by the discount! 

I used to do the same thing, tons of stuff I got on clearance I never even loved!  Since then I've become a hardcore review hunter.  It took me almost 8-9 months before I even got the 1st UD Naked palette and that was one impulse buy I regretted not taking lol. However, that's rare. 95% of my impulse buys are always returned.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A Kat Von D palette... paid full price only for it to go on clearance a month later at 50% less.

A Kat Von D brush set, which I've still never used to this day.

My other weakness used to also be palettes, which I've now managed to kick after realizing I have so many- I have several Urban Decay palettes which have never been used.

Jane Iredale (sp?) make-up. In particular a shadow pallet with 5 or so shadows. I bought two because I wanted one for my gym bag. Both of them crumbled as soon as the make-up was used a bit. I would have attributed that to being bounced around in my gym bag, but the exact same thing happened to my set at home. They made a big mess and once two or so (my favorites) of the colors were gone I ended up tossing them. I won't buy any products from that brand again.

Back