Sign in to follow this  
ladygrey

August No-Buy/Low-Buy Support Group!

With the support and encouragement from the forum last month, I was able to get through my July No Buy succesfully. I experience really has caused a shift in paradigms for me. I really consider purchases more before giving in to impulse. I'm not going to hold myself to a strict no buy for August but I will definitely be in for a low buy month. 

Good luck to everyone!

I'm on a low buy this month! Need to remember to stop and think before I impulse purchase! This month, I'm due for a hair trim, need to replace my Clarisonic heads, and have to "back to school" shop with my little brothers. Two teenaged guys will be putting the dent in my wallet! Lol.. on a good note, I am cancelling my GB sub today and not signing up for another, though I'm tempted. I think I'd rather just have the money in my pocket! Here's to another month of trying to curb unnecessary purchases! Good luck ladies!

I went into the Sephora at JCP today and tested out the new UD foundation, and the lightest shade actually matches my skin! This is a huge thing, so I might invest in it. I'm going to go to the regular Sephora to see if I could get a sample of it to last me for awhile to see if I want to invest in a full size. I'm almost out of foundation. I do have backups, so this stuff can definitely wait. I also kinda fell in love with the Justin Bieber perfume, so yeah...those items are going onto my wishlist for another day. 

The support from everyone this past month and the determination to really just get it right this time helped make last month a total success. Here's to an amazing August for everyone on a low-buy or no-buy!

Launching August on the right foot! I went nuts in July, but I can do this...WE can do this.

(Not really no-buy, but low-buy. However, setting budget didn't work for me)

Oh good. I could use a fresh start. Had a really bad day yesterday. Normally, I would go on a spending spree but didn't. I'll take any progress I can get!

Originally Posted by calexxia View Post

Launching August on the right foot! I went nuts in July, but I can do this...WE can do this.

(Not really no-buy, but low-buy. However, setting budget didn't work for me)

Doesn't mean it can't work this month! I blew it last month, the month before, and whatnot! Lol, I caved towards the end of the month. So, now I know I need to buckle down and stay strong when the month closes, as I usually hit a breaking point. Not this time! We can do it:)

Setting budget made it the same as saying "no buy" for me--I wound up freaking out that I reached a point where some good deals came along, and threw caution to the winds. So it's all about really thinking purchases through, this month, for me, anyway.

Although, I'm hitting up Sephora @JCP, to get my bff a Naked 2 palette today. She's been eyeballing one for a long time and it's almost her birthday....so wish me luck!

i did *mostly* good last month, only buying an eyebrow gel for $1 and then the UD naked eye pencil set on clearance for $19 from Sephora.com.  i need to hold tight for August. my bday is in Sept and i will assuredly get at least 1 Ulta gift card so then i can splurge.  

Have stalked the no buy thread for a while but decided to finally join!  Not going on a no buy or a low buy I am deciding to only acquire any new products through trades!  I have so much I do not want and if others want it and have stuff I want it's win-win!  I figure the money I spend on shipping something is cheaper than if I had to go buy the product!  

Today we had a swap/trade group at work where everyone brought stuff in and traded!  I have enough stuff to keep me busy for the month!

I was fairly successful last month but had a few slip-ups.  I think I'll go on a no-buy instead of a low-buy because even if I come across a great deal or someone offers to pay something for me, I still have to work on not collecting more.  Eventually it just becomes more important to have less than spend less.  

The only thing I want is a NYX lip creme but I can't bring myself to purchase one from a store because the ones I have seen have been unsealed.  Lipsticks can be cleaned but gloss-type products can't.  Maybe I'll be able to order one of them online some time.

Here is to hoping I can behave myself this month. My first car payment is due..yikes. Combined with that, my stash had been depleting but somehow, I'm swimming in hair stuff and body wash again. And I resigned up for beauty army. blah.

I'm going to try for low-buy this month, rather than no-buy.  I will definitely need to re-purchase makeup remover, and possibly shampoo (although my shampoo might hold out til September...)  I really liked the budget method--i.e., I will spend no more than $50.  It worked very well for me last month, so I'm going to try again.  And my other goal, once again, is to use up at least 5 samples.

i will be going on a strict no buy! this is the month i go back to college and i will be spending money of stuff that i will be needing. i dont plan on buying anything unless a super good omg limited edition this month only such a great deal nothing can top it kinda item comes out laughno.gif but i have a feeling nothing like that will be coming out soon SO...no buy for meee!! :)

another goal besides the no buy is to use up a couple of things.

items REALLY close to being done:

-clean and clear face wash

-elf $1 bronzer in sunkissed

-a mini B&BW lotion

:) 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops View Post

Here is to hoping I can behave myself this month. My first car payment is due..yikes. Combined with that, my stash had been depleting but somehow, I'm swimming in hair stuff and body wash again. And I resigned up for beauty army. blah.

I did too, but only because I managed to hit jackpot (for me) on a profile. I WILL be cancelling, of course, but I couldn't pass it up just this once.

I just started a new subscription with Eco-emi.  I'm at 3 subscripions and trying to stop there.  I just cancelled Glossybox and so happy about that. Received my( extra purchase) : ( June box yesterday, I couldn't resist. So excited and I love it.  Can't wait for the July box to come. Trying not to subscribe to anymore sample boxes. Yesterday a listing went out about a Bonus box for Eco-emi for $29.99. I believe 40 - 50 products including full sized. Listing was out yesterday on FB; saw it today. Already sold out. Disappointed, but relieved. Phew!  . That's enough already! Going overboard with this stuff. It's like an addicition!  Working hard to control myself!! laughno.gif

So I used up 17 items last month (4 full size!) BUT acquired 12 items, lol.  Of the 12, I only purchased 1, the rest were samples i got in the mail or from sephora and birchbox.  I guess as long as more is going out than coming in..I'm doing good!!

I don't really budget any specific amounts to things like food, beauty, clothes, etc.. What I do is I keep a balance sheet on the refrigerator which has the amounts and interest rates for all of my debts: car, student loan, credit card, and my current checking account balance. What I want to see is each of the balances going down (except the checking balance). Its worked well, In the last year, I've paid down my student loan from 14,000 to 6,000, and I can now see an end in sight. My car too, 1 more year of payments and I'll be done with that. But my credit card balance bumps around, sometimes up, sometimes down, all directly related to how much I'm indulging. I'd really like to be debt free over the course of the next year (except my house) and to do that, I've gotta start limiting myself. First of all, I don't NEED anything, but need and want are 2 different things. I tell myself all the time that its OK not to have everything that catches my eye. I have very poor impulse control and often think, well as long as all the bills are paid, why not treat myself to this or that..but I'm sure if I looked at how much I've spent on cosmetics in the past year, I'd be shocked. Anyhow, I just wanted to throw in my thoughts..I bought some blushes and 1 lip surgence from Tarte friend and family sale going on=$60 and another lipsurgence I saw on ebay=$15, 2 vapour foundation sticks and a wrinkle serum from truthinagaing.com $170=$245. So I'm officially done for this month, boy I should try to go 2 months really.. But let me do 1 month first. Yes, I can do it!

Went way too crazy during my trip to Asia. I got a buncha of make up from Japanese and Taiwanese brands :(

SOOO I have to go on a no-buy until the end of year. NO-BUY. no make up except lipbalm as I tend to use up one in 2-3 months.

I don't wear makeup often enough to use them up.

I blew it on the last day of July, but I'm hopeful that this month will be a good one. In about a week, I will be making quite a hefty nail polish purchase, but I've known about it for a month and a half and to my surprise, just got a 20 dollar off coupon which will be a big help. This month, my goal is to really be conscious about my purchases. I'm thinking of making a small list at the beginning of each month with things I think I might want. If by the end of the month, I look at the list and cannot remember or simply am no longer head over heels in love with a product, then I know I only wanted it on impulse. Good luck ladies. :)

I did give in and ordered from MUA yesterday. Really thought about my purchases though and what would be a good addition to my collection and what would be similar to something I already had. I scored a nice haul with the 25% off code and free international shipping. Even with the exchange rate it was less than $20. I almost gave in a bought some Balenciaga perfume from Sephora. I told myself that it would be my treat for making it through my no buy last month. It's in my cart but I still haven't hit checkout. I don't really like the GWP and none of the samples are really exciting me. Cancelled Conscious Box last month. Skipped LBB again this month. I am thinking of trying out Beauty Army. I'm becoming more and more of a fan of subscriptions I can skip. 

I caved & got 2 julep mystery boxes. The balm is calling me again. They have their 3 palettes for price of one. Its a great deal but I don't need it.