Best long wearing nail polishes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are the best Nail polish brands? I've heard OPI,Zoya,Essie and China glaze are good but they all get such mixed reviews. Which are the most long wearing and what are some good top and base coats? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Top Coat - Seche Vite

But as far as long lasting nailpolish - to me they are all the same... I can never get more than two days without a chip here or there.

Originally Posted by Bella99135 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the best Nail polish brands?

I've heard OPI,Zoya,Essie and China glaze are good but they all get such mixed reviews.

Which are the most long wearing and what are some good top and base coats?
smile.gif
Those are all great brands to be honest. Usually I avoid unbranded or generic polish as they seem to chip faster. Staying power changes with factors like top and base coat used, texture of the polish (frosts, creams, metallics) and obviously lifestyle of the wearer. I find that frosts and creams stay on me much longer than a metallic or glitter polish.

Base coat: Seche Clear

Top coat: Seche Vite

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find that frosts and creams stay on me much longer than a metallic or glitter polish.
That's interesting, since I'm exactly the opposite! My glitters stick to my nail SO well, but creams tend not to do so. 

As for brands, I tend to best love Deborah Lippmann and Sinful Colors (cheap, but awesome).

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's interesting, since I'm exactly the opposite! My glitters stick to my nail SO well, but creams tend not to do so. 

As for brands, I tend to best love Deborah Lippmann and Sinful Colors (cheap, but awesome).
Well that probably has more to do with body chemistry I am guessing. I have oily skin and nails. I tend to use Dawn dishsoap on my nails before doing them so they aren't oily, otherwise my stuff is chipping and peeling that same day.

Originally Posted by Bella99135 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the seche vite clear base better than the ridge filler one?
I am not sure if it better. Frequently the ridge fillers are opague which occasionally changes the way my polish looks. The Seche Clear base seems to work best in conjunction with the Seche Vite as they are made to match.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well that probably has more to do with body chemistry I am guessing. I have oily skin and nails. I tend to use Dawn dishsoap on my nails before doing them so they aren't oily, otherwise my stuff is chipping and peeling that same day.
I figure it's chemistry, too. I'm pretty dadgummed dry, with a fairly high acidic content (based on how jewelry oxides on me),

I always wipe my nails down with alcohol to make sure all the oil is gone. I use the alcohol after the nail polish remover because some remover is supposed to be conditioning for the nails, so there might be some oil there. Sometimes I do my nails late and just but my foundation on. The next day when I decide to finish my mani, I wipe my nails with alcohol. It's been working great for me.

As for Seche Vite base coat.....the first time I used this, they had a buy the top coat and get the base free. I love the top coat so figure the base will be great. No, no, no....awful stuff because my polish peeled right off. The next time they had the buy one get base free, I told the clerk at Sally's that they could keep it, I didn't like it. I now use Nail Tek Foundation II and it makes my nails feel so much stronger, my nails are in good shape and it wears well. I still love Seche Vite top coat.

I get A FULL 2 weeks with incoco. I have tried everything and these last the longest for me, and I am hard on my nails. (I have natural nails). For me the OPI last the best if it is on acrylic, but since I weaned myself off of artificial nails 5 years ago, I had to find something different. It took me a very long time of trial and error, but I have been using the incoco for the past year. And I have been known to be very hard on my nails - working in the flower beds, scrubbing tile grout, ect. These don't chip. I do also use a good fast drying top coat, too. Don't get me wrong. I still have a collection of opi, china glaze, ect., but mostly these are just used for my pedicures now. jmho ;-)

Has anyone tried the Poshe fast-dry top coat? I've read mixed things on it as well, but I've heard pretty much flawless things about the base (which I have). The seche vite top is kind of goopy for me now... gotta get some polish thinners.

I do enjoy seche vite when I wear nudes or neutrals when shrinkage/tip wear isn't an issue for me, but with darker colours, it is very annoying.

I totally agree that OPI (including OPI by Sephora), Zoya, and Essie are great brands. Most of my nail polishes are from them. No experience with China Glaze. I'm also really impressed with the Nails, Inc. brand. Their special effects polishes (with holographic glitter) are really great. I also heard that their base and top coats are excellent as well. I have tried some other polishes - The New Black Runway - Color Barometer. The colors are really nice, but it goes on uneven. It could be because of the smaller size. I bought one Sephora polish, but the texture was chunky -- very disappointing. I've tried department/drug store brands in the past like Sally Hansen, Revlon, etc. Their brushes don't tend to be as easy to use, but Sally Hansen does have great colors.

Quote:Originally Posted by Bella99135 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What are the best Nail polish brands?I've heard OPI,Zoya,Essie and China glaze are good but they all get such mixed reviews.

Which are the most long wearing and what are some good top and base coats?
smile.gif

Quote:Originally Posted by rakin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I get A FULL 2 weeks with incoco. I have tried everything and these last the longest for me, and I am hard on my nails. (I have natural nails). For me the OPI last the best if it is on acrylic, but since I weaned myself off of artificial nails 5 years ago, I had to find something different. It took me a very long time of trial and error, but I have been using the incoco for the past year. And I have been known to be very hard on my nails - working in the flower beds, scrubbing tile grout, ect. These don't chip. I do also use a good fast drying top coat, too. Don't get me wrong. I still have a collection of opi, china glaze, ect., but mostly these are just used for my pedicures now. jmho ;-)

I am definitely more of a pedicure rather than manicure gal. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Whenever I put nail polish on my hands, it always seems to get chipped easily. My husband and I are the only "dishwashers" in the house. Soapy dish water + nail polish = not so good.

For natural nails... I have found Rimmel to last over 7 days on me. And I hard on them.

I have had my Sinful Colors Cinderella on since Sunday, so that would be 6 days. 2 coats of Nail-Tek Foundation II, 3 coats of Cinderella(very pretty blue),and topped off with Seche Vite top coat. I applied another coat of Seche Vite tonight to add a few more days. I have never had any trouble with Seche Vite shrinkage. I always go  over the tip of my nail to seal it. I love the Nail Tek Foundation. It's relatively cheap on E-bay and I will never be without it! My nails are so nice now, not breaking, not peeling. I do file them regularly, before my next mani. I like to file with the polish still on. I buff them before a new mani also.

I loved Essies Good To Go Top Coat but I decided to try Seche Vite and although I love how fast it dries I don't really like how my nails don't last as long. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Essies kept mine looking good for about a week or more, with Seche Vite it is only up to 4 days. Sometimes I don't mind since I wear nudes/pinks, but fall is here and I love wearing dark polishes.

I want to try another top coat that dries fast but keeps my nail polish long too, still on the hunt for it

Nails inc caviar top coat is the best I have used. Very quick drying, shiny, and lasts. It is at Sephora for $10.

From my experience Sally Hansen's Insta-dri top coat makes any polish last a lot longer. Even those darned Color Clubs lasted a whole 3 days instead of one!

Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From my experience Sally Hansen's Insta-dri top coat makes any polish last a lot longer. Even those darned Color Clubs lasted a whole 3 days instead of one!
I cannot tell you how much I love this stuff!!!

Originally Posted by rakin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can get a full two weeks with Sally Hanson Salon Effects Nail Strips too.  Plus I love the patterns and they always get noticed.  I actually get bored of a manicure before it chips or peels, usually I have to change it not because of chips or tip wear but because of growth of my nails.

I have some Incoco but haven't really tried them yet.  The Sephora brand nail strips were amazing and disappointing at the same time.  Amazing because they have really cool prints and my ones that I first tried were leopard glitter and looked really cool but disappointing because my fingernails started chipping after about 5 days and toenails after about a week and a half, normally I get at more than that from nail strip pedis.  But still, 5 days of a fun print isn't too bad, I'm just spoiled by the Salon Effects.  I love that they have limited edition ones and come out with new patterns and glitter shades with color variations.  

I used to only be able to keep polish on my fingers for one day, if that.  It'd always peel, no matter what brand or how careful I was with my hands.  Chanel, Julep, Zoya, all the same.  But since I bought the Zoya travel kit for twenty bucks it has been like a whole new world has opened up to me.  It has the whole set, 1 - Remover/Prep, 2 - Base Coat, 3 - your polish (separate), 4 - top coat and 5 - quick dry drops that also shine up the manicure and are supposed to help the polish last, which I never would have thought of including in my manicures before but it really works well.  I've done  two manicures using my Zoya set and Zoya polishes and both have lasted 5 - 7 days with a top coat refresher once in there, resealing the tips.  For me, that is nothing short of amazing.  Their system works.  I thought my nails were too oily and/or my chemistry just didn't work with polish but this proved me wrong, that with the right tools, I too can have a fun and easy at home manicure.  I'd tried Sally Hansen base coats of various vintages and the combo base/top coats of various brands including Seche Vite, but for some reason they never worked great for me and this does.  I'll definitely repurchase the items in the kit, I hope they work well with other brands of polish too.  It opens up my whole nail wardrobe for me, because I've always bought polishes and generally just used them for pedicures where they'd stay done but now I'm so happy I can have pretty nails too.  But I still use the strips as well.  My nails are rarely bare now, I'm having fun experimenting.  Good luck to those of you looking for your holy grail nail products, I hope you find what works for you.  I was skeptical but I'm so glad I was wrong.

Latest posts

Back