What is my skin type? Confused skin!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

I have very confused skin - or maybe I'm the confused one but hopefully you all will have some helpful suggestions.

When wearing make-up (I wear liquid foundation) my face gets very oily and greasy requiring lots of blotting during the day.  That said, when I remove my makeup at night and moisturize, my skin feels tight and dry.  Sometimes, when I first apply my make-up it looks like I have dry skin (a few dry patches and tiny flecks of skin across cheeks) but in a matter of 2 hours my face will be covered in oil!

I use Clinique foaming face wash in Step 4 for oily skin, no toner, and I moisturize with their Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. 

I guess my question is...do I have dry skin or do I have oily skin?  I'm trying to get back to basics in my quest for a good foundation and I think looking at my skincare regime is the way to start.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like combination skin to me.  If you're already using the Clinique brand and are happy with it, go back and talk to the sales lady and stick with a daily regimen... once you get a groove on skin care then you can focus on the foundation.  The problem with skin is that it's different for everyone and also sensitive to weather changes/seasons.  So, what works today, may not work in the winter time.

It's all trial and error and making nice with the sales lady will get you closer to your desired results.  Also, don't feel like you have to buy everything they offer... ask for two week samples - two weeks is generally not enough to know if you absolutely love a product but it is enough to know that you absolutely HATE it! lol

Good luck!

Back