TKB Absolutely Everything Kit

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased this kit? I am overwhelmed and amazed at the amount of information on this forum. I am slowly but surely going through every post in the make-you-own-MMU thread... So forgive me if it was already discussed. I tried looking it up and couldn't find it.... ...but I wanted to know if anyone had any experience using this kit, or if you purchased a different kit, how did you like it? Here's the one I'm talking about: http://www.tkbtrading.com/additional_info.php?item_id=1360 http://www.tkbtrading.com/item.php?item_id=1360&category_id=1 It seems like there really is EVERYTHING I could possibly need. I'll most likely order it this week, but I want to take notes and do a little more research before I purchase it. I'm so excited:D

What are you planning to/hoping to make? If you were starting with making MMU, I suggest the MMU kit instead of the everything. Sometimes you can overload and then it becomes overwhelming and intimidating. You will need a blender or magic bullet and a scale. 2nd hand store blender and a jewellery scale from eBay is my suggestion.(food scale will not work) You are only making small batches and ingredients are measured in milligrams, not grams or ounces or you'll waste a lot of product if you are unhappy with the batch. I did go crazy with the DIY makeup (eyeshadows and lippies) but the thrill is gone as I only had so much storage. I do make my own MMU and I'm still in love with it. I find making skin creams much more economical and practical for me.

What are you planning to/hoping to make? If you were starting with making MMU, I suggest the MMU kit instead of the everything. Sometimes you can overload and then it becomes overwhelming and intimidating. You will need a blender or magic bullet and a scale. 2nd hand store blender and a jewellery scale from eBay is my suggestion.(food scale will not work) You are only making small batches and ingredients are measured in milligrams, not grams or ounces or you'll waste a lot of product if you are unhappy with the batch. I did go crazy with the DIY makeup (eyeshadows and lippies) but the thrill is gone as I only had so much storage. I do make my own MMU and I'm still in love with it. I find making skin creams much more economical and practical for me.
Right now just foundation. I've been having issues finding something that can withstand humid conditions I'm in at work. A few people suggested trying MMU. I think I'd like to work on foundation first, and then move on to concealer and finishing powder. I like that the kit offers me the opportunity to create more than just foundation though. I'm well aware of the equipment needed. I'm a pastry chef (14 hour shifts in a humid kitchen arethe reason I'm looking in to this in the first place) so I already have spice grinders, food processors, a vitamix and multiple scales (yes, even one that measures .0001g increments). The kit also comes with a scale, mortar/pestle, weight boats, syringe, tiny spoons/scoops, as well as the jars to store my MMU. The only thing it doesn't come with is a grinder. But I have one. The only ingredient it didn't come with that I'm curious about is Kaolin clay, but it's easy to order some from TKB.

Oh...you can't use appliances that prepare food to prepare your makeup. They are not safe to consume. That's why a used junky one is always best because that's all you'll be using it for. I think previously you were looking for an MMU to try and you've never tried one before. I would suggest that you find an MMU that you like first. Making them is not that easy even if you are a chef. It is a lot of trial and error because your personal preferrence is different from someone else's. Those recipes are general and require individual tweaking, it is much harder to create a foundation that is perfect just for yourself than it is make a bunch of formulations to sell to people. A pastry recipe is a set recipe that someone else has perfected. The MMU recipe, you'll have to tweak until you like it.

Oh...you can't use appliances that prepare food to prepare your makeup. They are not safe to consume. That's why a used junky one is always best because that's all you'll be using it for. I think previously you were looking for an MMU to try and you've never tried one before. I would suggest that you find an MMU that you like first. Making them is not that easy even if you are a chef. It is a lot of trial and error because your personal preferrence is different from someone else's. Those recipes are general and require individual tweaking, it is much harder to create a foundation that is perfect just for yourself than it is make a bunch of formulations to sell to people. A pastry recipe is a set recipe that someone else has perfected. The MMU recipe, you'll have to tweak until you like it.
I know that. I have 2 extra spice grinders and a cuisinart that I don't use. Got that covered. I'm also trying different foundations to see what I like and don't like, looking up the ingredients and taking it from there. The last time I tried MMU was years ago. I tried a few brands but Back then there wasnt much available. Pastry recipes/formulas aren't necessarily "set" . You have to know the rules before you can break them. You also have to understand each individual ingredient inside and out to understand how each one reacts on its own as well as with other ingredients. It's chemistry. (sorry, the comment about using recipes someone else has perfected really irks me, it's an assumption so many people make and it can be really insulting ) Besides, I couldn't call myself a chef if I was recycling other people's recipes. If there's something I want to do, there's usually a standard way of preparing it or a rough formula, sure, but I take into account what I like and don't like and analyze and tweak from there. I don't plan to go into this blindly. I'm well aware that it will be time consuming and tedious at times. I dont plan to make every cosmetic under the sun in a week. I plan to take the time and start small. But don't want to be limited should I choose to tackle another item. But if I can educate myself and eventually create something that truly works for me, then I am all for it. And if I'm willing to shell out the money a bigger kit, then yay for me. My initial post was asking if anyone had purchased this kit, or others and how they felt about them and what their experience was. (sorry if I got the wrong impression from your post)

I have purchased many many things from tkb and I've made my own mmu for 2 years now.  I'm just giving your some advice such that you are not wasting your money on such a large kit that you may or may not use the majority of it.  As it seems you are resistant to advice from somone who has already gone thru what you are wanting to enter thru, then you can go about it on your own.  BTW, the powders enter the housing thru the blade and open areas and start to spill out.  A sealed unit like a magic bullet is best. I wouldnt call myself a chemist but I have a degree in it. 

Latest posts

Back