What does it mean when makeup has 'bloom?'

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at a table of mineral makeup ingredients and their properties, such as adhesion, matte or translucent, etc. There is a property called 'bloom' and I can't figure out what that means. Does anyone know?

Bloom implies change so I would say it would pertain to makeup that would change as you wear it or when you apply it? Just a guess though. It could also be how long the makeup wears before it is gone. What kind of makeup is this in reference to?

It's not in reference to a specific brand, but the ingredients itself. For example, boron nitride, rice powder, serecite and silk all say they have the property 'bloom', whereas allantoin, calcium carbonate and magnesium myristate (just to name a few) don't have that property. It's in a mineral property chart, I'll post the link when I find it again :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hmmm I still don't have an answer for you but I think I know someone who might and that is glamourdolleyes. Let me PM her and see if I can find anything out from her.

I have never heard of this term but I am assuming that maybe it means shimmer (sheen, sparkle, non matte). Blooming reminds me of being easy to spread or "bloom" and shimmer is easier than mattes. The ones that are marked as bloom are opposite of all the ones marked matte. Total speculation but that would be my guess.

I know that sometimes when beeswax gets old it develops a white powdery film called bloom, I have never heard of it being used in makeup but that's what I know bloom to be. Hope that helps!  

My guess is that it's supposed to be how it improves in appearance after it is applied. Some ingredients will spread and melt and oxidize as the day goes, it actual looks better after a few minutes/hours of wear than when it was first applied.

both glamourdolleyes and divadoll's ideas make some sense, that's good enough for me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks guys! I think we're on the right track noting that whichever are marked as matte are not marked as bloom.

Pretty neat chart though, eh?

much easier to remember them that way...altho calling them additives is a bit misleading.  Those are ingredients to an mmu.  You will find some/rarely all of those in an mmu to make it a mineral foundation. 

Back