Lacquerous - High End Nail Polish Subscription Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Luxury Lacquer At Your Fingertips.
Get access to high-end luxury nail lacquers from top brands. Get your selection sent monthly and try the hottest shades from the runway and beyond.

Get on the list to be invited first:
Saw this today on Facebook...anybody else heard about it??  They have a website that only has a signup page at this point and a Facebook page.  Looks like a high end nail polish subscription box...interesting.

I signed up for the list...not sure I'll sub, as I'm pretty picky about my high end polishes, but I'm definitely interested to see how it goes! 

I signed up as well. Maybe I'll do a one month trial and skip my Julep..depends on the cost, though. I'm really interested to see what they offer. I scrolled down their FB page and saw a snap shot of some polishes in their inventory and now my curiosity is piqued lol.

This has me intrigued. I don't know if I will join, but I signed up since I am interested in more info about this.

From what I read on the Facebook page, you'll be able to try the polishes before you pay?  Not quite sure how they will do that...and if you have to pay then what is the subscription fee for?  Maybe they will discount the monthly cost from the price who knows??  I signed up as well since its just for infomation at this point.

I put my email on the list to get more info but am always a little curious/nervous with a new sub program. Did they give any hint to the opening date?

Originally Posted by LyndaV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From what I read on the Facebook page, you'll be able to try the polishes before you pay?  Not quite sure how they will do that...and if you have to pay then what is the subscription fee for?  Maybe they will discount the monthly cost from the price who knows??  I signed up as well since its just for infomation at this point.
Hmmm...not sure how that's going to work. It makes them sound more like a discount retailer than a sub company, IMO. I'm still interested, but that doesn't really meet my expectations of a sub. 

After the Posh Affair, I don't really have a lot of faith in companies that offer "high end" products in subscription boxes. I would have to see a pretty hefty pricetag on this to believe that they were sending out exactly what they were saying. If it's twenty dollars or less, and they're claiming to be sending out Chanel, I start getting a little bit suspicious. I'm not saying that they aren't legitimate, but it seems like an odd service to be trying to sell.

After all, does it really make sense that a company is going to be able to obtain standardized, "discount" batches of genuine Chanel or Dior? I know Deborah Lippmann sends out some samples (see: Glossybox), but the other two do not strike me as the kind of companies that need to target the kinds of consumers who purchase subscription boxes to "sell" their product. So I suspect that a service like this is not, for the most part, going to be receiving many samples from the manufacturer. In fact, I have never seen a sample of Chanel nail polish. Someone tell me if I am just oblivious and there are genuine ones out there... I want some!

So from where are the products being obtained? If they are genuine, which I hope they are, then they must be bought either wholesale or second-hand. If they are wholesale, what kind of distributor is spreading them? Even if the intentions of a company like Lacquerous are good, their suppliers' may not be. If they are second-hand, how are they going to be obtaining enough to maintain a subscription service? And even if they are genuine, there is no way to find cheap Chanel or Dior from a current or upcoming. It simply does not exist.

So what is going to be arriving in these boxes? I am curious to see, frankly, but I cannot say that I am holding my breath.

Originally Posted by Caryatid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After the Posh Affair, I don't really have a lot of faith in companies that offer "high end" products in subscription boxes. I would have to see a pretty hefty pricetag on this to believe that they were sending out exactly what they were saying. If it's twenty dollars or less, and they're claiming to be sending out Chanel, I start getting a little bit suspicious. I'm not saying that they aren't legitimate, but it seems like an odd service to be trying to sell.

After all, does it really make sense that a company is going to be able to obtain standardized, "discount" batches of genuine Chanel or Dior? I know Deborah Lippmann sends out some samples (see: Glossybox), but the other two do not strike me as the kind of companies that need to target the kinds of consumers who purchase subscription boxes to "sell" their product. So I suspect that a service like this is not, for the most part, going to be receiving many samples from the manufacturer. In fact, I have never seen a sample of Chanel nail polish. Someone tell me if I am just oblivious and there are genuine ones out there... I want some!

So from where are the products being obtained? If they are genuine, which I hope they are, then they must be bought either wholesale or second-hand. If they are wholesale, what kind of distributor is spreading them? Even if the intentions of a company like Lacquerous are good, their suppliers' may not be. If they are second-hand, how are they going to be obtaining enough to maintain a subscription service? And even if they are genuine, there is no way to find cheap Chanel or Dior from a current or upcoming. It simply does not exist.

So what is going to be arriving in these boxes? I am curious to see, frankly, but I cannot say that I am holding my breath.
I signed up but I have to agree with you. I'm hoping for the best.

I just received their launch email this morning: "The wait is over! Netflix for nails is here!"

...What?

It's not a subscription box, a nail polish sharing service. They send you three polishes for $18 a month, you can use them three times, then you send it back. 

I have many concerns, but the primary one is they're sending around used polishes. I don't send used polishes to my friends in swaps, and I wouldn't pay $18 to try one. The idea of getting used products upsets me. Bacteria may not be able to grow on polish, but it sure can grow on a bottle. I'm also concerned about the quality of the polish after it's been used by more than one person and more than once - someone who may not know how to treat polishes could overexpose it or ruin the brush. Finally, someone could decant the polish and replace it with a dupe. 

I don't know about you, but I'd rather take the $18 and spend it on a polish I can keep and know the quality will be maintained. They're saying it's "just like how salons share polish, but online." But it's not. Because a 13 year old is not a nail tech.

I haven't seen a positive reaction yet, every single comment on instagram or their facebook page has been overwhelmingly negative.

They're calling themselves "Netflix for nails" in the "we're open" email I received this morning. I'm not entirely sure on the implementation. I like the idea, but.

They also say in their FAQ : "You can use it on yourself for up to 3 applications throughout the month. Lacquerous monitors the amount of nail lacquer in each bottle and we trust our members to abide by our policies because they appreciate luxury lacquer like us!"

But what do they consider an appropriate amount of lacquer per manicure? The amount I use on one manicure may be the equivalent of someone else's two manicures depending on how long my nails are at any given time.

They're also charging $18 a month essentially "rent" three bottles of nail polish a month, for theoretically 9 manicures. Which, I guess if you're just looking for the try before you buy aspect, I suppose it's a good idea. I haven't decided if I want to try this for a month to see if it's any good, but on the flipside, it's renting nail polish.

Since $18 is buying one high-end nail polish, and you have to ship polish ORM-D which is really expensive and slow, I just can't see how this would be worth my money to rent three for a month when I could buy one I'd love.  There aren't too many polishes that I'm on the fence enough about that I would actually want to try them for three manicures.

I have no words. How is this sanitary at all? Or am I the only one who is squicked by the idea? One or two friends using polish is one thing, but sharing with multiple strangers?

oy.

I don't worry about nail polish being sanitary, I'm sure they'll wipe the outside off before mailing it on, but nothing bad can live in nail polish.

Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't worry about nail polish being sanitary, I'm sure they'll wipe the outside off before mailing it on, but nothing bad can live in nail polish.
That's the least of my worries, though it is a concern. There's no way of knowing if someone's going to pull a switcharoo on the polish and you'll end up with something other than what you were expecting.

Maybe I'm being naive but I've heard of people having issues with nail fungus and it would gross me out to potentially be sharing a polish.

That's the least of my worries, though it is a concern. There's no way of knowing if someone's going to pull a switcharoo on the polish and you'll end up with something other than what you were expecting.
A great point! If you did a bunch of manicures you could thin it with goodness knows what to not get charged, or if one unethical person loved it, they could pour the polish altogether into a new container and refill with old, stale, cheap, glop. On nail fungus: I actually discovered some on my toes after a pedi while pregnant. The doctor said that fungus is all around us, but thrives in warm dark places, and is particularly common when your hormones are off while pregnant. She said she never leaves her toes painted for more than a few hours at a time and even that is infrequent. Since it cleared up, I have gotten a few pedis, but with no polish or clear polish. I paint my fingernails a couple of times a week, but I don't ver want a toenail fungus again.

This is a whole lot of nope nope nope for me personally. I do not want to use previously used polish. This isn't like sharing with your sister or kids...

This was a little disappointing. I thought Julep might have some competition. when I saw the "netflix for nails' I ran the other way.

Back