Holy Grail Items?? What are you absolute Go To's?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay ladies, I'm curious and want to know: what is/are your HG item(s) in your makeup arsenal? Things you stockpile or would just die if they were ever discontinued? Maybe you use a signature blush to get that perfect rosy look or a specific highlighter reigns supreme to give you that ethereal glow? Maybe in sharing, we'll find some new HG's of our own! I'm looking for info, so feel free to share your HG items and the reasons why they're must haves in your eyes!

For me, I'd say that the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer is an HG item for certain. I've tried several other brands, low and high end and just adore this one. I keep returning to it! I use the regular version and the Foundation Primer with SPF 15. For me, amazeballs!

s1349968-main-hero.jpg
s1350008-main-hero.jpg

1 - Clinique Black Honey lipstick. It looks great whether I'm in full makeup or bare-faced, goes with everything, and is so perfectly designed that I can put it on without a mirror and not end up coloring outside the lines.

2 - Suki Exfoliating Facial Scrub. Just for the lemon scent alone!

3 - Boscia BB Cream--possibly the best I've used.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1 - Clinique Black Honey lipstick. It looks great whether I'm in full makeup or bare-faced, goes with everything, and is so perfectly designed that I can put it on without a mirror and not end up coloring outside the lines.

2 - Suki Exfoliating Facial Scrub. Just for the lemon scent alone!

3 - Boscia BB Cream--possibly the best I've used.

Oo..The Boscia BB cream is pretty fabulous! I have been doing a little test run of it and enjoy it a lot. Can't say it's really an HG for me, since I need more coverage, but if I'm doing a super minimal day, I can pull it off and just dab some concealer on.

Originally Posted by AngeBrooklyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Shu Uemura eyelash curler.  There is no substitute.  
Really? Never tried it; what sets them apart from other curlers? Since you brought up tools...well duh.. Tweezerman tweezers! Can't believe I forgot about that lol. I was like "Never again will I use anything else" after using them on my brows!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really? Never tried it; what sets them apart from other curlers? Since you brought up tools...well duh.. Tweezerman tweezers! Can't believe I forgot about that lol. I was like "Never again will I use anything else" after using them on my brows!
I have woefully straight lashes so I really need a good curler.  The shape of the curler fits my eye really well so it reaches all the lashes.  And even when I press down hard on the curler, there's never any crimping to my lashes.  The only thing worse than straight lashes is 90 degree angle lashes (blech).  

Once curled, I put on my waterproof mascara (Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume mascara--that might be HG for me too) to hold the curl and I'm good for the day. 

It was a sad sad day when Shu Uemura stopped distribution of their eyelash curler in the US.  I used to buy them at Sephora.  Now, I have to order it online.

1. Japonesque heated Mini Lash Curler - it blows away all of those scary looking manual curlers and doesnt damage the lashes. I seriously can't live without it!
  2. L'Occitane Very Precious Regenerating Concentrate - quite possibly the best serum I have ever used, I doubt I will ever find anything better for the price. 
  3. Oriental Princess Phenomenal Perfect Coverage Foundation Powder SPF 25 - best coverage and completely invisible. Even my husband uses it when he has skin problems, and that says a lot as he would not touch anything that even remotely can be recognized as makeup. I don't know if it's sold in the US so I always stockpile whenever we go to Thailand on vacation.

I'm still searching for my HG makeup items...but so far I have the original Naked palette on my tiny HG list :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I love that thing so much! Also, oil blotting papers...no particular kind. I get shiny easily and often need to dab...so tossing a pack of papers in my purse is a must! I have several diff kinds, but I don't see any real differences in them. 

Originally Posted by Scooby384 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still searching for my HG makeup items...but so far I have the original Naked palette on my tiny HG list :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I love that thing so much! Also, oil blotting papers...no particular kind. I get shiny easily and often need to dab...so tossing a pack of papers in my purse is a must! I have several diff kinds, but I don't see any real differences in them. 
Nice with the blotting papers; those are essentials for sure. I use cheapo ones, because I don't see the difference in performance, either. Can't speak for the UD Naked 1 palette, but I do love my UD Naked 2! Maybe this thread can steer you towards products/brands to try? That's part of my reasoning for starting this thread. That and curiosity!

Originally Posted by Scooby384 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Naked 1 is my ultimate HG item. I honestly don't think I could live without it now that I have it. 

My other HGs: 

1. Diorshow extase mascara

2. Bare escentuals buxom is my ultimate lipgloss and I'm not a big lipgloss person, but I freaking love that stuff

3. Smith's Rosebud salve is my hg lipbalm

4. Kiehl's ultra facial cleanser is my hg cleanser...followed closely by purity though

5. Cargo blush. In so many colors, but Cannes is my fav that I wear most often! I honestly like it more than NARS. 

I REALLY need to find a great foundation that I can stick with, but I just haven't yet. I am quite fond of ELF mineral foundation, but I don't know that it is PERFECT. 

Shea Terra Rose Hips black soap. Nothing else has ever helped my skin like it has.

theBalm Hot Mama blush. The perfect peachy pink with golden shimmer

Diorshow Exstase mascara

Cargo eyeshadows (barely touch anything else since I got my Cargo quads)

Still searching for the perfect moisturizer, BB Cream, eyeliner...

Shea Terra Rose Hips black soap. Nothing else has ever helped my skin like it has. theBalm Hot Mama blush. The perfect peachy pink with golden shimmer Diorshow Exstase mascara Cargo eyeshadows (barely touch anything else since I got my Cargo quads) Still searching for the perfect moisturizer, BB Cream, eyeliner...
So glad to hear you mention the Rose Hips Soap as I am waiting for delivery on that, totally hoping it works amazingly for me, too. As far as moisturizer, Boscia Daily Oil Free Hydration is pretty nice, they changed it a bit recently but still like it quite a bit. They have a day and night version and regular and oil free for each. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Clinique blush in berry delight. It is the absolute perfect shade of pink, not too bright and not too red.

1. Clinique All About Eyes-I use this every single time I put on eye makeup. It makes the eye makeup go on smoother and last longer.

2. Mac Paint Pot-I get this in a color very close to my skin color and apply it lightly around the eye area after my eye cream and before eyeliner and shadow. It makes my eyeliner last all day long no matter what I do.

3. Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Eyeliner-You use a special gel eyeliner brush to apply it. It goes on smoothly and lasts all day.

4. Any Bobbi Brown Eyeshadow Pallet-they're all great, you can't go wrong!

5. Chanel Aqualumier Foundation-really lightweight formula that doesn't look like you're wearing makeup

6. Aquafor-I'm not a lipstick/gloss person. This keeps my lips from getting chapped.

7. Maybelline Falsies Mascara-such a great drug store purchase

Shiseido sunblocks. They don't require a powdering to control the shine.

Vaseline for my lips.

I keep moving on down the line and don't buy very many products religiously, 

except for skin care...

Nuetrogena Foundation

Ulta fabulous face concealer

Rimmel Exaggerate Eyeliner in black

1. Urban Decay Naked 1 Palette (I loved seeing it on some of your lists!)
  2. Benefit Dandelion (This is the perfect blush for my light skin)
  3. Boscia Blotting Linens (Always in my purse!)
  4. Sulwhasoo skin care products (Their serums and creams are AMAZING)

Mac Paint Pot in Painterly. It's an eye shadow and a primer. It's an AWESOME primer. I did my eyes in the morning, took a three hour nap that afternoon and still work up with awesome eyes. Now if only I could get it to stop my face from getting those pillow creases! haha

Benefit Total Moisture moisturizer.

Make Up Forever HD concealer for under my eyes

Covergirl Lash Exact-Been using it for years and it never clumps or does bad things

Benefit The Porefessional

Nars blush in Deep Throat

Nars sheer glow foundation. Syracuse Amazing cosmetics Golden tan Stila all day eyeliner. Black Nars Lovejoy. Blush.

Back