Clarisonic ~ Worth It?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Mia and I love it. My friends noticed how smooth my skin looked after I first got it. I have had it 2 years now and love how I just plug it in once in a while to recharge it. 

Thanks for posting this! I've been thinking about cashing out my Birchbox points for one. I don't have enough to get it for free but I can take a sizable chunk out of the price.

I have a Clarisonic Mia and bought mine at a very good price, due to discounts/credits through one of the beauty sub sites. I've been using it since May of this year and while I do like it, I don't think it's really refined my pores or addressed major issues. My face does feel "cleaner" and nice afterward, but I don't think I would have bought it if I were paying full price. I also purged quite a bit and had dry spots the first month. It does work, but I don't think the results are miraculous. A lot of the other ladies here on MuT raved about it and gave great reviews, so if you've got money to burn to a good deal, try it out. 

I got mine about a year ago. I use it on and off and it's done nothing for me as far as keeping my face cleaner, not that I can tell physically.  However, the reason I do like it is bc I noticed that it has allowed the products I put on afterwards at night to sink in better and work more efficiently too. I guess it's doing it's job then but I wasn't "WOWED" by it. I use the acne brush head and it's nice, not very strong or irritating.

I've been wanting to purchase this too,I have large pores and blackheads and I was thinking if this was good for me. I have read many reviews but I still don't know.

I've been using the knock-off from Olay and it works quite well, I'm not too sure if I would like to upgrade to Clarisonic because the one I have is doing alright :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been using the knock-off from Olay and it works quite well, I'm not too sure if I would like to upgrade to Clarisonic because the one I have is doing alright :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
The Olay brush spins where the Clarisonic vibrates the bristles...not that it really matters. I bought my Mia from Craigslist for $60 without a brush head. I had an Olay brush, I thought I'd give myself a treat for my birthday. I use it once or twice a week. Do I notice a difference using one vs the other? Nope. I notice it feels clean when I use it but then I put on moisturizer and the feeling is gone. I notice that same clean feeling using the Olay one to. Do I notice a change in my skins texture? Nope. Diminished blemishes? Nope. Verdict - not worth $120 for false hype. I'd say it's worth about $30. The brush head costs $30ea and it is recommended to be replaced every 3 months. If you really want something...get the Olay brush for cheap, get some other things you've always wanted with.

I used the Olay brush for about 6 months, and then bought a Clarisonic a few weeks ago. I don't think they're even really comparable, to be honest. They both cleanse and exfoliate, but the feeling during is totally different and the texture of my skin afterwards is as well.

I bought a Mia from Birchbox with points and an anniversary code for a discount, and I used it for the better part of three months. I feel that was a good period of time to really allow it to work and give it a fair shot. End result? I just returned it, right before the 90 day window for returns closed. I don't have acne or anything, my biggest skin issues are clogged pores and blackheads on my nose (I've had them for as long as I can remember, and still haven't found a successful way to get rid of them.) Also, I have some freckles, redness (especially around my nose) and all around uneven skintone, although I didn't really expect the Clarisonic to fix that stuff. I was mainly looking for exfoliation/help with blackheads/brighter skin. The Mia DID exfoliate well, but I could get that with a scrub or even a manual face brush. Blackhead/blemish diminished? Absolutely not. No effect at ALL. I didn't have any purging, though, so that was nice. Overall, I couldn't justify keeping it for the money/BB points I spent on it. I was worried that I would regret sending it back a little, but the first time I showered after returning it I went back to using a face scrub, and I actually think my skin felt BETTER after that than with the Clarisonic! Go figure. I have to say, I really wanted to love my Mia. It was nice to have the 'in', fancy skincare thing that everyone was raving about. I'm sad it didn't work for me.

I absolutely love my Clarisonic.  I had the originial for 2 years, and when it stopped working, I contacted customer service and they sent me a new one!  I was really impressed, and it seems like a really good investment to make.  I love how smooth it makes my skin feel, and I do feel like the creams and serums I apply after using it absorb better.  I haven't used any other brand, so I can't compare, but I do know that if something happened to mine, I wouldn't think twice about replacing it. 

Just a side note. I do still exfoliate in addition to using the clarisonic. It does not take the place of exfolition completely.

Originally Posted by wadedl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a side note. I do still exfoliate in addition to using the clarisonic. It does not take the place of exfolition completely.
I do the same thing. The Clarisonic is not advertised to exfoliate the skin as it's intended purpose but I still feel it does.

Here are the claims:

- Removes makeup six times better than traditional methods.

- Clears pores and reduces the appearance of pore size.

- Cleanses so thoroughly that skincare products absorb better.

- Creates noticeably healthier looking skin.

I can definitely say that my skin does look healthier. I also think my pores are clearer but I don't see a difference in my pore size. What I feel this product solely does for me is clean my face well enough removing any residue left over from the day (moisturizers, makeup, some dead skin cells) so that the products I apply at night can fully penetrate my skin and work more effectively. In conjunction with my nightly routine, I think it works well and does the job overall but I don't believe it's a miracle worker on its own.  I only use it at night too. I don't want my makeup sinking in much more during the day either. Maybe I'm being irrational about it but I've had no problem using it only at night.

As I mentioned earlier, I can't say that it removes my makeup better but it must as my products do work much more effectively when I use the Mia prior to applying. I got my brush around the exact month the Olay "dupe" was released but purchased the Mia just because of the excellant feedback and my 20% off. Yes I would buy it all over again because my skin went from this:

To looking like this:

In the first picture, it's more low res taking with a camera phone of 5MP and wearing Revlon Colorstay Foundation, a very heavy duty coverage, that stuff is like paint.  You can see some heavy breakouts, dry patches, redness, and tons of blemishes.  Yikes, I'm glad I didn't take a higher res quality pic then. In the second picture, about less than a month ago, I used a 12MP camera and was using MUFE HD foundation. Yes, this foundation is meant to look amazing on camera but imo it is hardly a full coverage foundation. I have much less breakouts and my blemishes are finally beginning to fade.  I started using Peter Thomas Roth Acne products and in 3 months it's made a major difference. I also use the Algenist Reconstructing serum.

It makes me cringe seeing the old photos but darn it I have results and I've gained the confidence to sometimes run errands without makeup....sometimes lol. The point is these products have worked effectively in conjunction to the Mia and I can tell the difference when I use it and don't. 

Wow, Adreinne, that is quite a difference. Your skin looks so great now! Since I have sensitive skin I have basically ignored these because everything irritates it. Do any of you who are using this with positive results have sensitive skin?

I have sensitive skin and it doesn't bother me as long as I don't over-use it.  The unit only stays on for 20 seconds and shuts down on its own.  If I turn it on a second time, it starts to hurt a little.  I'm using the one with the black band which I think is delicate or gently.  If you have sensitive skin, don't buy a brush head that is for exfoliating or anything rougher than delicate.  It'll take skin off and damage your skin's protective layers.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have sensitive skin and it doesn't bother me as long as I don't over-use it.  The unit only stays on for 20 seconds and shuts down on its own.  If I turn it on a second time, it starts to hurt a little.  I'm using the one with the black band which I think is delicate or gently.  If you have sensitive skin, don't buy a brush head that is for exfoliating or anything rougher than delicate.  It'll take skin off and damage your skin's protective layers.
Good info, thanks divadoll :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you really want one, I'd look on Craigslist or ebay for one.  I got a used one, $60 without the brush head.  I don't think I'd pay full price for it tho.  I was just as happy with the Olay one but I was curious because everyone here was saying how great it was.  If I had a chance to try it without buying it, I would have saved the $60 for something else.

I just bought a mia, and used it for the first time last night. I also have the olay one...and I honestly think they are two VERY different products. My face felt so soft and smooth after the first use...I was impressed. obviously only time will tell if it actually does anything worth 100 dollars, but as of right now, I'm happy with my purchase. 

Don't pay full price regardless if you get a new or used one.  Skinstore.com always has 20% off their entire site and they ship really fast.  You can always find them cheaper than $120.

Back