O.P.I Nail Polishes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering where I could get O.P.I nail varnishes at cheap prices? Also whats your favourite nail polish, what you could suggest to me? I need inspiration lol, I'm just getting bored of painting them similar colours all the time :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

PLEASE HELP!

Originally Posted by wurlyz18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi,

I was just wondering where I could get O.P.I nail varnishes at cheap prices? Also whats your favourite nail polish, what you could suggest to me? I need inspiration lol, I'm just getting bored of painting them similar colours all the time :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

PLEASE HELP!
I got mine at Merle Norman. There's also "Nicole by O.P.I." and "O.P.I. for SEPHORA". The latter two are less expensive, and I personally prefer the original OPI. They seem to last longer and wear better. I've tried all 3.

[SIZE=medium](Deleted link per TERMS OF SERVICE[/SIZE][SIZE=medium])[/SIZE]

It's getting more difficult to get OPI polishes cheaply.  Even transdesign which sells bottles that have markings on them to differentiate from regular retail are up to $6.80 each which is nearly the same price especially after the shipping costs.  I used to get a lot of my OPI from Ulta when they did their buy two get one free promos & I'd combine that with a coupon.  I haven't noticed that deal in a while, but of course I haven't been lurking Ulta either.  The Ulta clearance section is a great place to browse but the discounts aren't always significant.  I've ordered from ebay before from certain well-reviewed sellers, but you can potentially get into the world of "fakes" and whatnot.  I have found the bottles I have ordered to be fine, personally, but that's a whole different topic.

As far as color inspiration, I suggest browsing nail polish blogs such as Scrangie, Vampy Varnish, All You Desire, & Alizarine Claws following it up by checking out some of the other blogs on their blogroll.  There's a whole huge world out there, and you'll start finding favorite blogs to follow and get excited about upcoming collections.  You'll also start quickly finding polishes you love from the swatches, and you'll get ideas of what you want. 

As my collection grew, I used to decide that I wanted, say, a good "mustard yellow cream," and would search swatches until I found one that I liked.  Once you start poking around the internet, you'll find that inspiration is endless.

I also suggest not limiting yourself to just OPI.  Zoya is a brand I've come to really love, and if you pay attention to their website and start following blogs, you'll learn when their promotions are going on and you can snag bottles for as low as $4 each.  Also, China Glaze is a great brand with a bazillion colors that are frequently on clearance at Sally's for as low as $1.50.  Transdesign and head2toebeauty sell this brand for about $3 (unless it's a specialty collection), and they have some great stuff.

Also, I suggest finding a top coat and a base coat that you like and work for you to help extend the length of your manicure.  I find that longevity is much more related to pigment type & finish of polish than to brand.  Many blogs will tout their favorites, but I think the base coat should be related to your nail type.  Good, fast drying top coats I enjoy are seche vite, poshe, & healthy hoof which are all available at Sally's and vary in viscosity and, but you will start to discover many bloggers have their die hard favorites.

Happy hunting!

Originally Posted by DBGenevieve /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got mine at Merle Norman. There's also "Nicole by O.P.I." and "O.P.I. for SEPHORA". The latter two are less expensive, and I personally prefer the original OPI. They seem to last longer and wear better. I've tried all 3.

http://fuckyeahnailart.tumblr.com/
Nicole by OPI is geared towards a younger demographic and is the most widely available as it as at places like Target (which has some exclusives out right now that are really cool), drug stores, Walmart, and Ulta.  The retail around $7-$8

Sephora OPI is only available at Sephora and is also known as $OPI in the blogging community because it's slightly more expensive than regular OPI at a current retail of $9.50.  Although they will periodically clearance out their older colors.  For example, there are several on their website that are $5 right now.

OPI is a little bit harder to source, and the main retail outlet for them is Ulta although I've seen them at the grocery store and drug store.  Last I recall, they retailed at $8.50 at Ulta.  I suppose Merle Norman carries them now.  That's new to me, but I did know they had created some exclusive red, white, and blue themed color collection for them.

I usually buy the mini (1/8th size) bottle sets from Ulta when I can find a $3.50 or $5 off coupon - that makes trying lots of colors relatively cheap. There are also a lot of deals on eBay, though if it's too good of a deal, it's likely a fake bottle. I cut it close once when I ordered 10 mini bottles for $16.50, shipped, and it turned out that even these mini-bottles were counterfeits. I got a refund, but you have to be really careful.

I prefer the Nicole by OPI nail polishes. Only because the OPI nail polishes I've purchased are runny and require a lot of coats. I guess your best bet is to try and score some on clearance the older nail polishes. It's a little difficult to get them pretty cheap.

Yesterday I saw about 20 different OPI colors as well as about 40 Sephora by OPI colors at Target. I didn't see how much the Sephora bottles were but the regular ones were 8.50 which is about the going rate.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yesterday I saw about 20 different OPI colors as well as about 40 Sephora by OPI colors at Target. I didn't see how much the Sephora bottles were but the regular ones were 8.50 which is about the going rate.
I've not yet seen the $OPI, but I frequently see the remainders of previous LE OPI lines at Target, plus a few heavy hitters from the permanent line, and a handful of Nicoles.

Originally Posted by flawlessme06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I normally buy mine from Sally Beauty when they have their sales and Ulta. 
My local Sally Beauty doesn't carry OPI, although they do great sales on China Glaze quite frequently.

The Sephora Salon inside JC Penney here in Council Bluffs has the Amazing Spiderman Collectiin by OPI on clearance for $4.00. I got 2 Just Spotted the Lizard and 1 Into the Night. They both took 3 coats. I painted my nails Tuesday and they are chipped Saturday. Seche Clear Base Coat and Seche Vite Top Coat. And still chipping. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love OPI, its my favorite!  
biggrin.gif

My Sally's carries China Glaze and Orly, but never gets much LE stuff or seasonal collections early..always waaaay later. I think they just finally put out a C.G. Safari display last week and it only had 3 polishes left? I'm going to have to keep up with nail blogs and do more online orders.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Sally's carries China Glaze and Orly, but never gets much LE stuff or seasonal collections early..always waaaay later. I think they just finally put out a C.G. Safari display last week and it only had 3 polishes left? I'm going to have to keep up with nail blogs and do more online orders.
Mine is the same. When I go in they either aren't there or all the good colors are taken and they have no backup.

Aside from OPI, I like China Glaze and Essie. I have a bunch of Sephora by OPI nail polishes, and Sinful Colors. Sinful Colors are only $1.99

I need help identifying an OPI bottle.... I bought a 2-pack from Marshalls today (my local store had two-packs of past seasons colors for $7.99). One bottle was from the Miss America line, It's My Year, and the other is a light, neutral gray that looks like "My Pointe Exactly," but it does not have it's typical OPI sticker on the bottom. I don't think it's a fake, since it is from a major store, and the labeling on the bottle is all correct, including the OPI imprinted on the inside brush wand. The ID number printed on the bottom rim says " 1 1267ARV" 

Anyone know which polish I got? 

Hmmm... not sure.  I'm used to OPI numbers starting with NL/HL/NM/etc (depends on collection).

For example, My Pointe Exactly is NLT54.

Is there any shimmer in it or is it a creme or a jelly?  How light of grey is it?  Can you post a picture of the bottle and/or swatch?  I'm pretty familiar with colors from the last few seasons, so I could probably tell you by sight.

Yeah, all OPIs seem to have two sets of numbers, and both appear on the little sticker on the bottom of the bottle, which is missing on this. The sticker has both the "NL....." and a stamped five-digit number followed by three letters.... the eight (5+3) digits is the same between what is physically stamped on the bottle and printed on the sticker.... The stamped number is 11267ARV...  No shimmer, dries to a shiny finish. 

Latest posts

Back