Campaign time.... what do you think about all the ads and fliers?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Presidential campaign is in full swing, which means ads are popping up everywhere. Some may seem helpful and others just smear tactics. What do you think? Do the ads tend to hit the mark or do they seem to go overboard and offensive?

I think ads for politicians are generally not very good, especially because you never know what is a smear or what is actually true. You really need to go online and research what that candidate has done before, if they were in congress find out how they voted on certain issues etc. stuff like that

Originally Posted by Political goth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think ads for politicians are generally not very good, especially because you never know what is a smear or what is actually true. You really need to go online and research what that candidate has done before, if they were in congress find out how they voted on certain issues etc. stuff like that
Couldn't agree more. I think most of it is "twisted truth". There is a seed of truth to it but they always use an angle to make it seem different.

Research how your candidates are voting and what they are actually pushing forward or backward is essential.

I agree that researching the politicians' voting history, legislative bills initiated/backed tells more than their speeches and ads. I learned that concerning politicians, it's always what they do, not what they say and claim that counts. What surprises and saddens me, is that so many people can and will be so easily swayed without fact checking.

They just more annoy me than anything. I hate the ones where they bash the other people running.

I'd prefer if they just stick to what they are standing for. The whole thing just gets old.

Let it be over already!

I don't watch the ads. I do my own research. The ads are all so similar every time.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that researching the politicians' voting history, legislative bills initiated/backed tells more than their speeches and ads. I learned that concerning politicians, it's always what they do, not what they say and claim that counts. What surprises and saddens me, is that so many people can and will be so easily swayed without fact checking.
That right here is why the smear ads will continue. There's a scary amount of people who take these ads as truth, and don't feel compelled at all to do more research.

That right here is why the smear ads will continue. There's a scary amount of people who take these ads as truth, and don't feel compelled at all to do more research.
I agree how crazy it is and naive! Those campaign managers are smart and cunning, picking up on that and totally running with it lol. I remember seeing a commercial and it showed a politician pushing an older person in a wheelchair off a cliff lmao. Totally ridiculous, I believe the message was the politician in question was against the socialized healthcare bill. It was pure comedy!

I got a good kick out of the recent one where there's some couple claiming that Obama's trying to force gay marriage on America. Hehe.

I feel like I get something in the mail everyday and the phone calls are annoying too. I dont have to answer the phone, b/c it is always clearly stated who it is on my caller id. The ads on tv are overwhelming, but I really dont pay attention to them, I do my own research.

I enjoy them the first couple times, then I get sick of them.  There is one local guy, whose same ad plays over and over every morning.  I don't know anything about him, aside from his ad- which really grabbed me.  I do not know if he is a "d) or an ®, but I really like him.  I will check out who he is ahead of time, but I am really leaning towards him.  His ad is basically where he shows the smear ad against him, and he sets the record straight.  He does it in a friendly, positive way, which draws me to him.  It's strange how the ads work.

I love it when you get two political flyers discussing the same prop. like today, I got one from like, the business association of america PAC stating how it's evil because it raises taxes--and another flyer from some education PAC about how I should vote for it. The prop was for education--which the business PAC pretty much didn't mention at all.

The other day, I got a flyer titled "COPS voter guide", and it was against a prop that prevents unions from taking a mandatory deduction from workers' paychecks to go into union-backed PACs. I thought it was a little ironic, since that flyer was probably paid for by union workers' paychecks :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Speaking of unions, lol, I got a flier in the mail from my union. More of a large 5 page pamphlet highlighting one candidate and slamming another. BS.. I don't pay dues to have them fork over my money to whomever they want. It irritates me that everyone wants to get their hands in the cookie jar, so to speak. Elections are right around the corner, so we're all going to be inundated and spammed with ads, fliers, and commercials. It's almost over, though.

Back