Sign in to follow this  
JessP

Birchbox - September 2012

Originally Posted by wels5711 View Post

dang am I the only one who kinda liked the August box?

I liked mine. :)

I can admit that I would definitely have not been happy with many of the other boxes, though.

Originally Posted by Dalylah View Post

It wasn't a matter of liking or disliking I suppose. I got three items that I can't use due to overly sensitive skin (2 kinds of self tanning wipes and a brightening cleanser). Now it's not their fault but the fact remains that I ended up liking only one item out of the whole box (the razor). Yes it is about experimentation but I am finding I am items I can't even try because of ingredients a lot. Once again, not their fault but it is why I said that I am wondering if this is just not the box for me. I have other subs where I don't have this problem, or if I do it is usually only one item in the box . September is make or break for me.

That is literally the EXACT same issue I had, and why I emailed them! This is my first box of 5 that I haven't totally loved, but if they promise samples tailored to our needs, and they have us fill out profiles to determine those needs, they need to follow through and not send us things we can't even try! If they are going to completely ignore the profiles, they should do what other companies do and send everyone the same samples. 

I actually really liked my August box, but in months when other people were really excited about the boxes, I was just meh. In most months, there are only one or two items that I really have much use for (especially since I'm picky about ingredients), but the things I don't like or won't use just get tossed in my share bag to be given to other folks who will appreciate them (or if they're empty or missing, I just take whatever points CS offers and call it a day). This weekend, my mother told me she'd take all my fragrance samples and gave me her Mynteas (or whatever they're called), which she didn't care for but I really like. One man's trash is another man's treasure, and all that. All in, it's still worth $10 per month to me. Some people like playing the lotto. I like Birchbox.

Honestly? I'll be happy with my box as long as my tracking info for it doesn't say "No information available at this time; please check back in 24-48 hours" for TWO AND A HALF WEEKS. In that time, the products that were supposedly my box (according to my BB account page) changed 3 times... I didn't get my box until the middle/end of last week!

Anyway... rant over :) I'm with y'all, I'd love to see some fall trends in the box, especially as far as nail polish and makeup (blush? eyeshadow?) goes. Maybe a crisp apple-scented perfume sample?

I have had more misses than hits when it comes to my Birchbox.  However, I still get excited every month waiting and wondering what I'm going to get and hoping that I get certain products from the spoiler video.  Of course, I've only ever gotten one item from the spoiler video, but it's still fun for me.  When I lose the excitement and stop anticipating my box, then I'll know it's time to move on from BB.  I'm half afraid that if I cancel, then the next month will be phenomenal and I'll really have missed out.

Honestly? I'll be happy with my box as long as my tracking info for it doesn't say "No information available at this time; please check back in 24-48 hours" for TWO AND A HALF WEEKS. In that time, the products that were supposedly my box (according to my BB account page) changed 3 times... I didn't get my box until the middle/end of last week! Anyway... rant over :) I'm with y'all, I'd love to see some fall trends in the box, especially as far as nail polish and makeup (blush? eyeshadow?) goes. Maybe a crisp apple-scented perfume sample?
Yikes! I guess I've been lucky with their shipping so far! Ooh, a crisp apple scent would be lovely! Maybe one of DKNY's apple-themed fragrances? My mother wouldn't get that one from me!

Honestly you ladies and this community makes Beauty subs whether good or bad super awesome.

From the moment we get charged, get hints and or clues! You guys sure now how to make this into an Online adventure.

From then braking it down how the product worked or didn't worked this is a one stop shop for review updates!

I have fallen in love with so many different products I would have never ever used because of these subs and you ladies!

May the fall Season bring in AWESOME PRODUCTS!

• Like 2

Originally Posted by JessP View Post

Curious to know - for those of you who received last year's September/fall Birchboxes, did you notice a (better) difference between it and summer boxes? I keep hearing that fall boxes are usually better for some reason, so it'd be interesting to see if it's true!

My very first box was August 2011 and it was awesome.  Smashbox primer, Cool Fix lotion, Quidad hair product, face cream and a hair tie. I was so excited! The box that I got in September was the worst box to date. I didn't use a single product in it ( Pangea OrganicsLIV GRN C2C FragranceIncoco® Nail Polish AppliquéJouer Lip Enhancer).  BUT than I got Octobers and it was good again (Oribe shampoo,Orofluido, Laura Geller, Befine and Caudalie).

So basically, every other month as been good to me.  June's box was blah, July's box was great, August was blah, etc.  So September should be good!

I said before that this last box was my worst box to date (the Stila foundation card was my "big ticket" item). However, I used the card, despite being bitter over it. I LOVED it. I went to Sephora the next day and bought the full size. I have found my new HG foundation/concealer combo. As mad as I was at getting that sample, it paid off in the end. Once again, I think BB knows me better than I know myself. (scary)

Can't wait to see what September brings!

I really liked my August box, but some of the options would have made me unhappy. Thankfully, I had gotten the fashion tape, Eye Rock, and tanning wipes in previous boxes...lol.

Originally Posted by amandah View Post

20% off at birchbox with code 20foryou

but FYI it's with a minimum $35.00 purchase. I love birchbox. I was just getting ready to make a big order on Friday when i get paid, and now they offer this until Friday! sooo excited.

I canceled after 3 months of missses. I just signed up again...couldn't help myself! Hope its a good month :)

Mine was good too!  I am easy to please though.  I will try anything once and twice if I like it.  I find that they follow my profile pretty closely.

As far as shipping...BB hasn't been too bad, but I have the horrible experience that was Beauty Army to compare it to on more than 1 occasion I picking my next month and hadn't received the last.  Their samples were never all that either, no matter how I messed with their profile.

I look forward to my little brown box each month.

Originally Posted by Souly View Post

I canceled after 3 months of missses. I just signed up again...couldn't help myself! Hope its a good month :)

How long did you have to stay on the waitlist? Because I have been on it for about a month now. I'm hoping they invite me soon.

Originally Posted by peridotcricket View Post

I would be okay with a hand cream. I really want to try the Caudilie hand and nail cream. I really hope they don't send pumpkin-flavored bars or packets of apple cider powder. Yick! Fall nail polish I'm not so sure about because sometimes Fall means grey or nude polishes and I wear bright colors all year.

I recommend just buying the Caudalie.  I'm a cheapo who gets sick of products quickly so sample sizes are typically perfect for me, but I couldn't get enough of it.  The best part is my husband thinks it smells like Fruit Loops, and anything that smells like a food he likes is typically a good thing!

I'd love to get some of the DKNY apple perfume this month :D

I like Caudalie; have already gotten a full size of the hand/nail cream..it's good. I also just won a Pure DKNY Intense perfume from a beauty blog I follow! Can't wait to get and wear it, yay! Lol

Just so people know, Sephora is offering the 4 DKNY apple sample thingamabobers online as one of those free samples you can pick with any order. And I think you can choose up to 5 still. I'm getting mine todaaaay!!! Along with everything else I ordered lol.

I bought like 3 items and I'm getting like 14 samples THIS IS GOING TO FEEL LIKE CHRISTMAS!!

Placed an order for a Pangea Organics Discovery Kit and an Eyeko Eyeliner. Total for the order: 55.00 Total out of pocket was 14.00 I LOVE BB!

Originally Posted by yanelib27 View Post

Placed an order for a Pangea Organics Discovery Kit and an Eyeko Eyeliner. Total for the order: 55.00 Total out of pocket was 14.00 I LOVE BB!

Nice...can't beat using points and saving some $$!

Originally Posted by tameloy View Post

I said before that this last box was my worst box to date (the Stila foundation card was my "big ticket" item). However, I used the card, despite being bitter over it. I LOVED it. I went to Sephora the next day and bought the full size. I have found my new HG foundation/concealer combo. As mad as I was at getting that sample, it paid off in the end. Once again, I think BB knows me better than I know myself. (scary)

Can't wait to see what September brings!

What is the foundation and concealer called?

Originally Posted by sillylilly05 View Post

What is the foundation and concealer called?

It's Stila Stay All Day Foundation & Concealer. I LOVE it! It a bottle of liquid foundation, it has a separate container of concealer in the lid (which is removable), and it comes with a foundation brush.