Sign in to follow this  
JessP

Birchbox - September 2012

lol, I cannot believe this. I wrote birchbox telling them that I have a medium skin tone, and that the hazel was too dark even for a very tan person I gave it to. This is their response 

"

Thanks for writing in. I'm so sorry that the hazel was too dark for you. I have light-medium skin and have medium listed and I also received the hazel but it did blend in to my skin. i would definitely suggest that you change your profile to light and see if the products we send from then on work better. You can also try combining the hazel with a lighter foundation to make the perfect custom color. I do hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions!

"

I think she's lying. NO way would that work out. ugh.

Does anyone know what happens if you return an item that was purchased with BB points? Do you lose the points or are they credited back to your account? If you lose them, is it possible to do an exchange instead of a return?

Originally Posted by Auntboo View Post

Does anyone know what happens if you return an item that was purchased with BB points? Do you lose the points or are they credited back to your account? If you lose them, is it possible to do an exchange instead of a return?

I know there were some people pretty mad about this awhile back, so I think you lose them.  I would think and exchange would work, but you're better off calling them.

Originally Posted by lovelockdown View Post

lol, I cannot believe this. I wrote birchbox telling them that I have a medium skin tone, and that the hazel was too dark even for a very tan person I gave it to. This is their response 

"

Thanks for writing in. I'm so sorry that the hazel was too dark for you. I have light-medium skin and have medium listed and I also received the hazel but it did blend in to my skin. i would definitely suggest that you change your profile to light and see if the products we send from then on work better. You can also try combining the hazel with a lighter foundation to make the perfect custom color. I do hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions!

"

I think she's lying. NO way would that work out. ugh.

she's claiming it just blended into her skin? HAH. If only. I am OLIVE in the summers and it was too dark for me! It left an orange-brown streak on my arm when I swatched it, no way I was going to put it on my face, which is always a shade or two lighter than my arms. Of course, if you changed your profile to light, you'd probably end up with porcelain products next time around.

I wish they would've thrown in 2 separate shades of the Jouer - they sure were tiny enough that they wouldn't have spent much more (if any) on the samples. At least then we could have mixed them.

Finally got my box today! Four days late. For all my whining I was surprised at how excited I was to open it! Last month I was irritated about the fragrance samples, but I've actually been wearing it (Juicy La Fleur or whatever). Probably not enough for anyone to notice haha, but I feel fancy, so the Twirl will be nice.

I still don't understand why I got the Jouer because I have DRY skin, but at least they sent me a good match (Linen). 

I will not be using the Madewell coupon, LMK if you want it!

Originally Posted by Auntboo View Post

I made an order with mostly points and a little $ in the past.  I got both points and some cash back.  I didn't feel like I lost any points per say.

Originally Posted by norther View Post

she's claiming it just blended into her skin? HAH. If only. I am OLIVE in the summers and it was too dark for me! It left an orange-brown streak on my arm when I swatched it, no way I was going to put it on my face, which is always a shade or two lighter than my arms. Of course, if you changed your profile to light, you'd probably end up with porcelain products next time around.

I wish they would've thrown in 2 separate shades of the Jouer - they sure were tiny enough that they wouldn't have spent much more (if any) on the samples. At least then we could have mixed them.

lol ya exactly. My reply to her was that I'm not going to change my profile to light because I'm not light, I'm medium. I emailed jouer so hopefully they send me a right shade. I wonder if whoever wrote that even saw what shade hazel was before they wrote that. I mean there's no way that would be close to possible. Don't lie to your customers, birchbox!!  

lol ya exactly. My reply to her was that I'm not going to change my profile to light because I'm not light, I'm medium. I emailed jouer so hopefully they send me a right shade. I wonder if whoever wrote that even saw what shade hazel was before they wrote that. I mean there's no way that would be close to possible. Don't lie to your customers, birchbox!!  

I emailed Jouer either on Saturday or yesterday and got a reply this morning - the rep was super nice and replied with "I would be more than happy to send samples of some of our light-medium shades your way." Much better service than BB! I know, right? Unless you're going for an oompa loompa face, it would be impossible for it to work out to a look you want if you're light-medium and used Hazel!

Originally Posted by princess2010 View Post

I'm annoyed with BB, but I must say my Dr. Jarts was completely full. I've used it for 3 days and there are probably 3 more left . I was relieved we didn't have a debacle like in May when they were all empty!

Originally Posted by yanelib27 View Post

Dr jart makes the best bb creams imo. both the water fuse and the premium gold are a little too light for my skintone, but the coverage cant be beat. The texture is also nice.

Yea I love it! I'm planning to use my birchbox points for it!

The samples in my latest Sephora order:

Not bad for a $25 purchase! Why can't Birchbox offer such nice sizes? After all, we are paying for the samples themselves, they aren't free with a purchase. 

I emailed Jouer either on Saturday or yesterday and got a reply this morning - the rep was super nice and replied with "I would be more than happy to send samples of some of our light-medium shades your way." Much better service than BB! I know, right? Unless you're going for an oompa loompa face, it would be impossible for it to work out to a look you want if you're light-medium and used Hazel!

After I got that email from her, I emailed jouer and someone replied within an hour asking for my adress to send the right shade. It was a much better experience. Although, after I told the lady that I'm not changing my skin color in the profile she did offer me points. I'm happy for that at least, but I still find it kind of shady that she'd try to lie. If she didn't lie then points wouldn't be needed to make me happy..

I was excited when I first got one because it was cute and since it was pretty wide I thought it would be able to keep my hair out of my face while I'm in lab, but sadly I had pretty much the same experience as you. Mine got caught on something and it's pinched and lumpy on one end. It's also stretched a great deal but I figured it was because I have so much hair that this type of elastic just couldn't handle it.

I MIGHT buy these if they cost the same amount as the regular black hair ties that you can get probably 20 for $2-3, because they are cuter, but I have enough thick black hair for 3 different people on my head, I'd much rather have something that's plain but holds my hair up well than something cute that is destroyed after a day or two and keeps falling out anyways.

I got 20 yards of twistband elastic for $11 I'm making them myself, since my purple lace one is a piece of shit! Seriously bb, that thing wore out after two uses. 

Originally Posted by Stdanzy View Post

For the ladies whose twistbands are frayed, cut off the frayed edge, and melt the new edge lightly with a lighter. I do this all the time for my pointe shoe ribbons and it works like a charm with the twistbands as well.

Or use clear nail polish if you're like me and shouldn't be allowed near fire. Do not use clear nail polish AND a lighter, cuz that will end badly. 

Originally Posted by alice blue View Post

Not bad for a $25 purchase! Why can't Birchbox offer such nice sizes? After all, we are paying for the samples themselves, they aren't free with a purchase. 

I <3 sephora. Great CS and great samples. 

Originally Posted by LAtPoly View Post

Mine was pretty much a match, too - although I wish they put two shades so you could confirm.  I got "nude" and wonder if the shade that is the next lighter would be better.  Probably not, but I'm curious.

I liked the MMT.  It wasn't drying at all.  

I have medium in my profile and I got nude MMT, and I too wondered if the next shade would be better. Though I wanted to try the next shade darker. Nude seemed a bit too yellow for me.

Originally Posted by MollyC2153 View Post

I got 20 yards of twistband elastic for $11 I'm making them myself, since my purple lace one is a piece of shit! Seriously bb, that thing wore out after two uses. 

I was tempted to buy some elastic and make them myself - at least if they fell apart after a few uses I wouldn't be out much $ and it'd just verify that my hair is too much for that type of elastic to handle, but I can't imagine paying what, $20 for 12 measly twistbands that'd last me all of 2 weeks? I'm just gonna stick with the plain black bands for now though, they stretch out too but last at least a month before I absolutely have to replace it, plus they're wayyyy cheaper.

After I got that email from her, I emailed jouer and someone replied within an hour asking for my adress to send the right shade. It was a much better experience. Although, after I told the lady that I'm not changing my skin color in the profile she did offer me points. I'm happy for that at least, but I still find it kind of shady that she'd try to lie. If she didn't lie then points wouldn't be needed to make me happy..

Yup, it's definitely shady that she tried to convince you that they didn't make a mistake/just sent everyone with box 6 the same shade - I swear, everyone I've seen who got that box had Hazel. I get that some things can get messed up in the process, but at least own up to it instead of blatantly lying! I've read about how people that emailed BB about the wrong shades got the runaround, so I decided I'd just avoid the headache and email Jouer directly. Even if they'd refused (nicely) I would've been satisfied, as it isn't their job to fix BB's mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise89 View Post

Whoever got the soy body whip, how does it smell like? And how do you like it?

It smells a bit like jasmine to me. My mum said that it (the smell) reminds her a lot of Chinese lotions/creams. I absolutely love it, as does my grandma, and it was a really nice sized sample too. I'll probably end up buying the full sized one at least for my grandma, if not also one for myself.

I ended up getting Linen in the MMT. Its way too light, but I liked the texture. Would love to try something darker, may reach out to jouer directly as they arent sold in Sephora.

I got the Color Club in Tweet Me or whatever it was called and I think it is butt ugly. :P

I wasn't too impressed with this month. I got tea bags, a twistband, perfume sample, the color club, Jouer MMT and Argan oil.

I don't mind any of it, but getting two non-beauty items AND perfume in the same box, plus the MMT being such a dinky sample was just a little irritating. And I don't use hair products that much.

So this month was just a bust for me. At least I got the twistband in teal, my favorite color, instead of the flaky lace ones. They're much cheaper to buy on Etsy though. No way I would ever pay full price for them from BB.

I don't know about you ladies, but I much rather would have gotten this Color Club in Editorial instead of the colors they sent out this month.  I've never had a duo-chrome and it looks pretty neat! http://www.birchbox.com/shop/new/color-club-fall-collection
The iPad version of Lucky magazine has a discount click-through for that color, so it's not a Birchbox exclusive and you can get it elsewhere if you like.

I just spent my points on a Deborah Lippmann Base & Top Coat with free shipping coupon for a grand total of $0.00!

My Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Strengthening top coat sucks, don't get it!

Originally Posted by ashleyanner View Post

I don't know about you ladies, but I much rather would have gotten this Color Club in Editorial instead of the colors they sent out this month.  I've never had a duo-chrome and it looks pretty neat!

http://www.birchbox.com/shop/new/color-club-fall-collection

Those colors are so much more "fall-like"! I kinda wish they would've sent those!

Originally Posted by Jackieblue View Post

The iPad version of Lucky magazine has a discount click-through for that color, so it's not a Birchbox exclusive and you can get it elsewhere if you like.

It's also a dupe of Chanel Peridot, and there are a whole bunch of other dupes of that one out there (i have China Glaze Rare and Radiant from their New Bohemian collection), so there are a lot of alternatives if you look around.  I wish Port-Folio was available from Birchbox.  That's a duochrome I don't already have in my collection!

(As a side note, I tried to use my points last night, and I couldn't find anything I wanted enough to use them!  :(  I guess I'll be saving them for another month and hoping there's something I MUST HAVE in October.  I want new toys!)

Originally Posted by kisha90 View Post

I just spent my points on a Deborah Lippmann Base & Top Coat with free shipping coupon for a grand total of $0.00!

My Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Strengthening top coat sucks, don't get it!

agreed. that SH sucks it hard! That was the first top coat I used and my nails peeled like crazy! Way to go on the zero total! let us know how the DL works out! :)

Finally got around to trying the Wei cc cream. This is exactly what I have been looking for. I love it! Havent tried the cleanser yet, will post about it when I do.

• Like 1

Originally Posted by alice blue View Post

I get my Sephora order in today and I'm expecting the same samples since I was able to get the skincare sample bag. So excited now after seeing the sizes!