Sign in to follow this  
xiehan

Fashion's Night Out

Hello all, and welcome to the NYC MuT group! I've already met up with several of you for in-person swaps, and I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting the rest of you at some point!

Anyway, I was partly inspired to create this group by Fashion's Night Out, happening this coming week! It will be my first FNO - last year I had a grad school event to attend, and before that I wasn't interested in fashion or make-up - so I'm really excited!

I figured we can share information about places worth stopping by (especially places doing make-overs, giving out freebies, or free drinks?? wink.gif) and possibly to coordinate a big MuT meet-up if people are interested.

So, how about it? Anybody been before that has recommendations on where to go? Heard about events that sound interesting? Please share the scoop! biggrin.gif

I called 8 of the top department stores to hunt for a GWP for Estee Lauder's Private Collection - Gardenia Tuberose perfume (it's $80 for 1 oz.) and though none was going on, I got a little 411 on FNO.

Saks is doing complimentary make-overs from 10:00 to 8:00 and will have their own GWP.  Call ahead and make your appointment for your make-over with the counter of your choice (I made one with Estee Laudr for 3:00), it will be busy.  I'd say generally get to Saks at some point they will have several deisgners and pretty good freebies. 

Unfortunatly I have since made plans to be in DC so I won't be around.  If anyone's got tips on DC's FNO, please share!! 

For cocktails:

Alexis Bittar

465 Broome St
New YorkNY

Show off your Broadway belt with karaoke and complimentary cocktails (for liquid courage, of course) at Alexis Bittar’s Soho boutique. Those brave enough to take the mic will also receive a $50 gift certificate to shop, so “sing out, Louiseâ€!

Fashion’s Night Out 2012: Top 8 Spots For Celeb Sightings, Food And Freebies

Fashion goers enjoy cocktails during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week (Photo by Brian Ach/Getty Images for IMG)

Diane von Furstenberg

874 Washington St.
New YorkNY
646-486-4800

Guest DJ Solange Knowles will spin, whileVogue editor Meredith Melling Burke styles, as you sip on free cocktails and receive makeup touch-ups from MAC artists at Diane von Furstenberg’s Meatpacking District store.

Fashion’s Night Out 2012: Top 8 Spots For Celeb Sightings, Food And Freebies

(credit: Madewell Facebook)

Madewell

486 Broadway
New YorkNY
212-226-6954

Enjoy free drinks, sweet treats and a complimentary Birchbox with a purchase of $100 or more. Because updating your wardrobe and makeup bag go hand in hand.

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos

Urgh, I can't this week as I'll be traveling for work, but I'm so happy you made this group!  Next thing/time!

Thanks so much for the tips, FormosaHoney! Sad you and reepy won't be around.

If anyone else is around, my best friends and I will probably be going to this:

We're big fans of the brand and have been to the Ludlow St store many times. I love that the founder, David, always seems to be around and ready to give color recommendations, and the rest of the staff are sweethearts, too. smile.gif

The plan is definitely to hop around, though. Both the DvF and Alexis Bittar parties sound awesome!

Just found this on LiSi Cosmetics' Facebook page. I don't know much about the company beyond knowing they exist because their flagship store just opened right next to my work, but since I work remotely most days, I haven't actually ever been inside.

LiSi Cosmetics

Join us this Thursday for LiSi Fashion's Night Out BEAUTY HAS MANY FACES event

On Fashions Night Out Sept 6, 2012, LiSi cosmetics invites you to join us for the “Beauty Has Many Faces†event at our flagship store in Soho - 741 Broadway at Astor place near 8th street. Enjoy refreshments, good music, mix and mingle and experience LiSi cosmetics, and you could become the new face of beauty for the LiSi brand!

Contest rules:
1. Shop for LiSi products during fashions night out

at the LiSi flagship store
2. Tweet via our event hash tag onsite
3. When you checkout , you will be given an entry form and we will take a photo
4. Like us on Facebook, and post a comment about why you like Lisi cosmetics on our timeline within 24 hours of the event, and invite your friends to like LiSi on Facebook and follow us on Twitter
4. Share photos of the event via instagram (optional)
5. That's it!

If you are invited back as a potential ‘face’, you will receive a full makeover and $25 worth of LiSi products and be entered for the grand prize!!

Grand prize winners 
You will be professionally photographed wearing LiSi cosmetics , which will have been applied by one of the LiSi beauty advisors .
Your photo will be incorporated into our beauty has many faces campaign for 2012/2013. Our campaign will appear on brand marketing for our website and social media platforms as well as print and online media press releases, store signage, flyers, and in store displays 
Your photo and bio will be featured on the LiSi website and other LiSi properties 
You will be featured in LiSi how to videos, tutorials, and other video features on LiSi properties including our YouTube channel 
You will join the LiSi beauty advisors and brand creative director Lisa Hill at an exclusive LiSi beauty brunch in NYC 
You will be invited to participate in fashion and beauty events sponsored by LiSi cosmetics in and around NYC
You will receive $50 worth of LiSi products
You will enjoy a 30%discount on all LiSi products for the life of the campaign

Why did I not see this thread before!

Hello NYC Makeup Thread!

For some Happy Hour and Free drinks check this site out.

http://www.overtimenyc.com/

I will also see what else I can find to post here.

Have a great weekend!

Originally Posted by Jazbot View Post

Why did I not see this thread before!

Hello NYC Makeup Thread!

For some Happy Hour and Free drinks check this site out.

http://www.overtimenyc.com/

I will also see what else I can find to post here.

Have a great weekend!

Thanks for sharing, and you too!

Here's my FNO redux, in brief:

My friends and I started out at OCC because we're fans of the brand, and it seemed like a good, low-key place to wait for each other since everyone was getting off at work different times. I got there the earliest because I knew how tiny the store is and I was worried about how quickly it would fill up, but it was never that crowded, which was nice. Lots of cupcakes and the prosecco kept flowing. Most of the people seemed to be associated with the brand or longtime fans, so the vibe was intimate. It was also fun that nearly all of their campaign models were there.

At one point Jamie Clayton offered to take my empty cup and throw it out, and told me to have another, and I felt like a horrible human being, crying to myself, " icon_eek.gif B-but you're Jamie Clayton! You're so beautiful! bawling.gif You should not be collecting and throwing away empty booze cups!"

We had to take a food break around 8:30pm that because none of us had eaten, and we were still waiting for one of our friends. After that we decided to venture into SoHo proper to check out the rest of FNO, but it was kind of a shitshow. There were way too many people out and about, especially compared to the tiny sizes of SoHo boutique shops.

We did try to get into Alexis Bittar and were surprised that there was no list and no wait, but that's because the party already seemed to have wound down by then. (This was around 9:30 or so?) We hopped around a bit after that - hilariously, my friends saw Harney & Sons and suggested that we go get tea (everyone's buzz was wearing off and we were getting tired) but instead of serving tea, they were apparently hosting an FNO party for a shoe brand. It was definitely disorienting to come in and find them blasting hip hop music - not something I'd ever expect at a Harney & Sons.

We tried for Madewell after that but it was already closed. It became clear that we hadn't done enough research to figure out where else might be worth checking out, and our smartphones were struggling to load the FNO site. (Was there an app? They really should have an app. Or at the very least a mobile-friendlier website.) We wandered around a bit more but eventually gave up and went to one of our favorite bars to kick back over drinks.

All in all, I think our verdict was: not as spectacular of an evening as we'd hoped, but we probably should have planned things a little more carefully. Also, we should have gone somewhere other than SoHo - which is already a shitshow normally and ten times worse during FNO.

Brio, I'm curious how things were up in your area in the UES/Midtown. Did you make it to the Jouer party? How was it?

I had emergency work to do last night, so I really didn't get to do much.  I did swing through Henri Bendel, since I had an appointment and it's only like 3 blocks away from my office, but all of 5th Avenue was NUTS.  So many people and almost impossible to get around.  It was so crowded inside the store that it was mostly unpleasant!  

The Jouer section was much quieter, which was nice.  I got a really nice makeup pouch full of new samples (including the new matte moisture tint - hit me up if anyone wants the little tubes of the medium or darker shades I got!) and a full makeup makeover by one of their makeup artists.  It was fun and having an appointment was great.  I'm kind of sad that I basically got all dolled up and then had to go back to work!  All the Jouer people were really nice and I have a list of things I want now (in addition to the eyeliner I bought).  Oops.

Here are 2 links to get into the Birchbox Sample Stop on Sunday.  Tinkbll695 posted these on the Sept BB forum.

11am-12pm and say Beauty High at the door

http://beautyhigh.com/get-in-to-thenyfw-birchbox-shop-beauty-high/

4-5pm and tell them I'm with Betty Confidential

http://www.bettyconfidential.com/ar/ld/a/love-free-beauty-products-stop-by-birchboxs-fashion-week-lounge.html

I think I'm going to the 11am one.  I'm running a 10-mile race that morning and might go directly (do you think they'll let me in wearing my running clothes?)  Haven't been able to make it to any of the events this week--work has been insane.

Originally Posted by AngeBrooklyn View Post

Here are 2 links to get into the Birchbox Sample Stop on Sunday.  Tinkbll695 posted these on the Sept BB forum.

11am-12pm and say Beauty High at the door

http://beautyhigh.com/get-in-to-thenyfw-birchbox-shop-beauty-high/

4-5pm and tell them I'm with Betty Confidential

http://www.bettyconfidential.com/ar/ld/a/love-free-beauty-products-stop-by-birchboxs-fashion-week-lounge.html

I think I'm going to the 11am one.  I'm running a 10-mile race that morning and might go directly (do you think they'll let me in wearing my running clothes?)  Haven't been able to make it to any of the events this week--work has been insane.

I'm definitely going to try to make it, though 11am might be too early to drag myself downtown. Also have a friend staying over and I'm not sure if she's interested, She did like the sound of lots of free beauty products though.

Good luck with the race! I imagine they'd let you in, especially if you explain the circumstances. If anything, I feel like that should make you more eligible for a makeover than someone who already comes in looking pristine with all of their make-up done, right!? smile.gif

Here's that post I posted on the BB page about the BB Sample Stop.  Totally worth it if you can make it there.  

Hey ladies, I went to the Birchbox Sample Stop today at NYFW.  I came straight from a 10-mile race so I was a major fashion no-no, but they let me in with no questions asked.  Everyone there was really nice and helpful.  The Sample Stop was SUPER!  They let you pick up to 5 samples  and unlimited candy and stuff.  I didn't have time to sign up for any of the pampering.  They had mini-facials, a nail bar, makeup, eyebrow, and hairstyling areas.  It was pretty cool.  Unfortunately, I didn't have my phone with me to take pics of that, but here are my pics of what I selected.  Sorry, they uploaded in reverse.  I was so excited to get a beautyblender (of course, I just broke down and bought one last week, but will now have a replacement ready).  They also had the CC nail polish in rose gold, but I skipped it and thought I'd take my chances since everyone's getting them in their Sept boxes. 

A BIG THANK YOU SHOUT OUT TO Tinkerbll695 FOR PASSING OUT THE INFO!

I also ran into Jazbot when I was there.  Nice to see an MUT lady in person.

LL

LL

LL

Originally Posted by AngeBrooklyn View Post

Here's that post I posted on the BB page about the BB Sample Stop.  Totally worth it if you can make it there.  

Hey ladies, I went to the Birchbox Sample Stop today at NYFW.  I came straight from a 10-mile race so I was a major fashion no-no, but they let me in with no questions asked.  Everyone there was really nice and helpful.  The Sample Stop was SUPER!  They let you pick up to 5 samples  and unlimited candy and stuff.  I didn't have time to sign up for any of the pampering.  They had mini-facials, a nail bar, makeup, eyebrow, and hairstyling areas.  It was pretty cool.  Unfortunately, I didn't have my phone with me to take pics of that, but here are my pics of what I selected.  Sorry, they uploaded in reverse.  I was so excited to get a beautyblender (of course, I just broke down and bought one last week, but will now have a replacement ready).  They also had the CC nail polish in rose gold, but I skipped it and thought I'd take my chances since everyone's getting them in their Sept boxes. 

A BIG THANK YOU SHOUT OUT TO Tinkerbll695 FOR PASSING OUT THE INFO!

I also ran into Jazbot when I was there.  Nice to see an MUT lady in person.

LL

LL

LL

That looks awesome! As expected, there was no way I could've dragged my ass out of bed in time to make it to the 11am one, but I'm going to try my darndest to make it to the 4pm one. The beautyblender alone would make the trip downtown worthwhile.

Well, that was a complete waste of time.

Got there around 4:05pm. There was already a line, so I got in it. A girl ahead of me had just gone and talked to the people handling the line to ask if it was even worth waiting, and they said, "Yeah, definitely, anytime someone comes out we'll let the next person in line in." There were somewhere in the ballpark of 20-30 ladies ahead of me -- a line, to be sure, but it didn't look ridiculous.

At 4:30pm, I was 6 people away from the head of the line, when they started sending everybody away, saying the event was at capacity and there was no way anyone else was going to get in. A couple of girls ahead of me essentially started arguing with the lady who was telling everyone to head home, saying, "Well, we don't care about the makeovers and stuff like that, is there any chance that we could just go in to get a few of the samples?" This was also how I was feeling -- heck, I would have been completely satisfied if they'd just let me in to grab a beautyblender and then shooed me out of the door; forget the other 4 samples.

The Birchbox lady said, "No, sorry, the reason we're not letting any more people in is because we're actually not allowed to have any more people in the building because of fire codes -- we're at the maximum number of people we can legally have in the room."

The girl fired back with, "Well, will we be allowed in once some more people leave? It's still only 4:30 and not a lot of people have left yet, I'm sure enough people will be leaving in the next half hour that a few more of us could get in."

I couldn't hear what the Birchbox lady said to that, but it was basically a no followed by reasoning that was probably pretty unconvincing judging by the angry look on the girl's face.

Finally, her friend said, "We've both been longtime Birchbox subscribers, and we've promoted your service to a lot of people," to which the Birchbox lady didn't have anything to say, other than, "Sorry."

The only thing that I, and the rest of people who had been waiting in line, got out of this was a card with a code for 15% off a $50+ order, but it's not even a unique code, it's one anyone can have access to, so its value is essentially nothing.

I didn't feel like getting angry with them because nothing gets on my nerves more than people who throw fits of entitlement over free handouts, but the experience did leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. The Birchbox lady's arguments over why they weren't going to let any more people in seemed very thin, and I suspect (without knowing exactly how the situation was inside, of course) that less so than reaching actual event capacity, Birchbox had decided that they had reached the capacity of the number of non-VIP guestlist people they were willing to indulge. Which is somewhat understandable, but if that's the case I wish they would have just been honest and upfront about that. I'm a strong believer that honesty is always the best policy.

Also, as I was walking away, at first, I thought, "Well, at least I only waited half an hour. It could have been worse." But then I realized that if I took into account transit time to get to and from the event, because I had had no other reason to leave the house today and wouldn't have if it hadn't been for this, that the actual time I'd wasted on this was over 2 hours. And again, because the lady had not been any more apologetic when we mentioned we were Birchbox subscribers but only tried to placate us with a worthless coupon, that left a bad taste in my mouth. There are a lot of other things I would have much rather spent my 2 hours this afternoon doing, but Birchbox did not in any way value the time of its existing customers.

Oh Xiehan, that's horrible.  Sorry that your experience was so unpleasant.  A friend of mine told me that, inside, some of the people were taking significantly more than 5 samples and basically sticking them in their bags and pockets.  It stinks when people abuse the fun freebies and ruin it for everyone else.  

AngeBrooklyn it was great to meet you as well!

What a awesome experience. :)

xiehan So sorry to hear about your experience.

Just a heads up.  This event was free, there was no RSVP or ticket to prove your place in line.  All events in NYC that are free usually end up over packed, over crowded and being a waste of time if you don't take precautions.  I originally was going to go to the 4pm one and new I had to be there by 3 if I was to do that to avoid the line.

But thank goodness my mom talked me into going early and getting it out the way.  On the way to the 11am one I was worried how crowded it was going to be.  It was pretty packed inside a lot of.. "excuse me, excuse me, oh sorry, just want to grab this, thanks" going on. lol

I did hear there is a customer service one this evening, someone posted the e-mail in the Birchbox thread. I thought about going but decided not too since I did take advantage and did introduce myself and chat with people.

I also know BB collabs with a few businesses here in the city and this won't be the last event! So lets keep our eyes and ears open for the next one!

Originally Posted by Jazbot View Post

Just a heads up.  This event was free, there was no RSVP or ticket to prove your place in line.  All events in NYC that are free usually end up over packed, over crowded and being a waste of time if you don't take precautions.  I originally was going to go to the 4pm one and new I had to be there by 3 if I was to do that to avoid the line.

But thank goodness my mom talked me into going early and getting it out the way.  On the way to the 11am one I was worried how crowded it was going to be.  It was pretty packed inside a lot of.. "excuse me, excuse me, oh sorry, just want to grab this, thanks" going on. lol

The thing is, there was no way for me to get there any earlier, or to make it to the 11am one. I had a friend staying over and we'd had a late night the night before so at 11am she was still asleep, and as it was, I essentially had to kick her out of my apartment in order to make it to the other one by 4pm, even though her ride wasn't there to retrieve her yet, so she had to wait at the restaurant across the street. And it didn't make me feel any better to have to admit that I did that for nothing.

Also, I know about free events in NYC being a crapshoot mostly; I've gone through that experience of waiting in line for nothing many times before. But in this case I feel like the Birchbox staff could have handled the affair better, because the way they did it left many of us feeling deceived - because like I said, when we'd gotten there we'd been informed that every time a person left, somebody else would be let inside, and one girl had asked them explicitly if it was worth waiting in line, and they said yes. It would have been one thing if they had told us there wasn't a point in waiting and people kept on waiting anyway (because I've had that happen before, and in that case, yes, you're completely responsible for wasting your own time) - they had given us every reason to believe we would still be able to make it in if we stayed. There had been no mention of a cut-off at 4:30, and their logic for doing so was very thin.

Originally Posted by xiehan View Post

The thing is, there was no way for me to get there any earlier, or to make it to the 11am one. I had a friend staying over and we'd had a late night the night before so at 11am she was still asleep, and as it was, I essentially had to kick her out of my apartment in order to make it to the other one by 4pm, even though her ride wasn't there to retrieve her yet, so she had to wait at the restaurant across the street. And it didn't make me feel any better to have to admit that I did that for nothing.

Also, I know about free events in NYC being a crapshoot mostly; I've gone through that experience of waiting in line for nothing many times before. But in this case I feel like the Birchbox staff could have handled the affair better, because the way they did it left many of us feeling deceived - because like I said, when we'd gotten there we'd been informed that every time a person left, somebody else would be let inside, and one girl had asked them explicitly if it was worth waiting in line, and they said yes. It would have been one thing if they had told us there wasn't a point in waiting and people kept on waiting anyway (because I've had that happen before, and in that case, yes, you're completely responsible for wasting your own time) - they had given us every reason to believe we would still be able to make it in if we stayed. There had been no mention of a cut-off at 4:30, and their logic for doing so was very thin.

I also know BB collabs with a few businesses here in the city and this won't be the last event! So lets keep our eyes and ears open for the next one!

I tried to RSVP for the one tonight like, within an hour of getting the email, but it was already full.  I signed up for the wait list.  But if there was no list or anything, I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to just show up anyway?  

Originally Posted by brio444 View Post

Totally worthwhile by the way.  There was a list, and they were checking, but they let me crash, which was awesome.  

glad you got in.  Fun, right?