Dry skin problems!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I have the misfortune to have bad dry skin, esp. near my nose and btwn my brows! Does anyone know of a good (affordable) foundation that works for dry skin?! I have one I like but it always gets patchy from my skin ripping through it. Thanks!

What foundation are you currently using? This may have more to do with your skincare routine than your makeup.

As Pancua said, I would try some moisturizer about 10 minutes before you put on makeup. Also make sure you are using a moisturizing foundation and not one for oily skin. Exfoliating once a week can help remove the dead skin as well. Also, don't overuse cleansers, twice a day is generally enough and doing more can dry you out significantly. After you cleanse make sure you moisturize each time.

Good advice! I had the same problem and it really boils down to skincare, first and foremost.When I started taking better care of my skin and developed a good regimen, my dry skin cleared up. It didn't matter what kind of foundation I used because the patches were still there. Another bit is to maybe use a brush and paint your foundation on, then pat with a damp sponge like a beauty blender to smooth it out. Probably don't want to use a stippling brush as it will make the patches more flaky. Foundation wise, I always go back to Revlon Photo Ready for a drugstore brand..

I don't think it's possible to moisturize more than i do. lol or exfoliate. I just wanted something specifically engineered to my skin type is all.

I agree with the skincare. If you over exfoliate, you tend to dry out your skin more. That goes with over moisturizing. Over moisturizing will more than likely cause milia and also(from my experience during the winter) will also cause more dry patches to form. Maybe switch out your moisturizer? I know cetaphil is very affordable and very moisturizing.

Originally Posted by KatieM12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think it's possible to moisturize more than i do. lol or exfoliate. I just wanted something specifically engineered to my skin type is all.
If you are over processing your face that may be the culprit. I use Cetaphil cleansers and that helps me a lot because they are super gentle. I actually cleanse in the morning and use Oil Cleansing Method in the evening. If you are exfoliating more than once a week you might be overdoing it for your skin. If you are using harsh abrasives that may be the problem as well. They can actually tear at your skin.

The foundation I use for daily wear is a tinted moisturizer because it is light. When I go out anywhere I use Revlon Photoready and it seems to agree with my face.

As a fellow dry skin sufferer, I've tried just about everything to fix the problem. My dermatologist has emphasized washing my face with as little water as possible (I know how crazy that sounds). The Cetaphil face wash for gentle skin can be used with or without water and really locks in moisture. I also really like cleansing milks which you don't require you to use a lot of water and scrub your face really hard. Avalon Organics makes a great cleansing milk that smells like Lavender (amazing!). More important than a foundation, is what moisturizer you use. As people have mentioned, 10 minutes before you apply any face makeup is ideal. For my dry skin, I really like Kiehls or Cetaphil/CeraVe because they're moisturizing but also really mild. Always look for a foundation that adds moisture and stay away from mineral makeup that can make dry skin feel and look even more dry.

Dry skin can make you look and feel miserable.Low humidity  and Frequent showers and baths are cause of dry skin

• Several home remedies, such as decreasing bathing frequency and lubricating the skin with thick moisturizers after showers, can help control and prevent dry skin.
  • Apply a sugar scrub (even if you are a guy) to your face, especially the dry spots. 
  • Use a wash cloth to remove the remains of the scrub.
  • Drink adequate fluid, at least 8 glasses a day, including water, fruit juice, soup, etc.

Link deleted per Terms of Service.

I struggled a lot with extremely dry yet oily skin.  It was the oddest thing ever because my skin was flaky all over so I could not wear foundation yet I always felt really oily.  The idea is to find the regiment that is right for your skin type.  What you are using and think is helping could be making it worse.  As for exfoliating, if you have really dry skin you might not want to do that more than once a week.  You should try an intense hydration cream which it to be worn at night when you go to bed.  You can try something like the Mary Kay Intense Moisturizing Creme nightly until your skin is more balanced then just use it once or twice a week, depending on how you feel.

JP
smile.gif

Mac Mineralize Satin Finish Foundation is good for dry skin .. but the best solution drink plenty of water to get away your skin dryiness

Back