Sign in to follow this  
xiehan

Make-up Swap Meetup!

There seemed to be some interest in this on the Birchbox thread, so I figured I'd start a new thread for it.

Who's interested, and when/where would be good?

I'm definitely interested.  Easiest for me would be something in the evening (7 or so?)  in midtown or anywhere downtown.  

I've been giving this some thought and here's a couple of random things that I came up with:

- The place where I met up with FormosaHoney would be one potential good location. We met up at The Atrium near the 51st/53rd & Lexington 6 / E / M stop, which I know might not be as easy for everyone to get to. But it was nice because it had the set-up of a mall food court, but it was surprisingly quiet and good for actually having conversations.

- It would also be great to meet up during happy hour / after-work drinks, that way even if you don't get to swap anything, you can still hang out and it's not a wasted journey. That said, finding a semi-quiet and not-so-crowded bar in Manhattan (assuming that's most central for anywhere) during happy hour can be tricky. I know one or two possibilities, but only in the EV area (as an NYU grad, that's my obvious area of expertise...).

- I was wondering to myself what the value of this is, other than just saving on shipping, because I know I personally do pretty well trading on here, and I do like the relative anonymity as well as having time to think about offers and research products. But I did realize that one benefit is being able to trade larger things that might be too big/heavy to ship easily. (Just sharing a random thought.)

- On that note, it would probably be good to meet someplace with wifi (unless someone has a mobile hotspot they're willing to utilize), and for at least one person to bring a laptop so that people can quickly research products as needed.

I am down!  I know some cheap Happy Hours in the West Village. D,F,M,E,C,A to West 4th Street.

Somebody throw some dates out there! I'm not picky, although I'm *hoping* to start a new job next week so things might be a little hectic for me in October. Or not. It's really hard to say.

Originally Posted by xiehan View Post

Somebody throw some dates out there! I'm not picky, although I'm *hoping* to start a new job next week so things might be a little hectic for me in October. Or not. It's really hard to say.

I'm free after October 10th! Mid October is good.

Originally Posted by Musegirl View Post

I'm free any day except Mondays.  Can we do it this week or would that be too early?

After my Vacation would be better for me. Tight budget with rent and Puerto Rico trip.  Waiting on my loosebutton box as well. :-) Mid October would give me more options to bring!

Yeah, I would also prefer to wait a week or two since I have so much going on at the moment.

If we're aiming for after the 10th, I would suggest we meet before the 26th since the week/end after that is Halloween and I'm sure things will be crazy in the city. Musegirl said no Mondays, and I can't do the 19th-22nd because I'll have friends in town, and I'm assuming we don't want to do Fridays, so that leaves:

• Thursday, October 11th
  • Tuesday, October 16th
  • Wednesday, October 17th
  • Thursday, October 18th
  • Tuesday, October 23rd
  • Wednesday, October 24th
  • Thursday, October 25th

Any of those jump out to anybody as particularly good/bad? As of right now any of those should work for me, pending the new job.

Wow!! This is soo awesome of you guys... mind if I tag along?  Im in Jersey but Im a regular in NYC... so, its all good for me if you'll have me? hb.gif

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

Wow!! This is soo awesome of you guys... mind if I tag along?  Im in Jersey but Im a regular in NYC... so, its all good for me if you'll have me? hb.gif

Of course!! The more the merrier!

I'll be out of town 10/11-10/23, but don't base it on me.  If I can't make it to this one, I'll make it to the next one.  I'm sure there will always be more to swap icon_biggrin.gif

Of course!! The more the merrier!

marchmellow.gif Yay!!!

Thursdays are best for me... but this is soo far in advance I can make arrangments!  So, whatever works best for everyone!

marchmellow.gif Yay!!!

Thursdays are best for me... but this is soo far in advance I can make arrangments!  So, whatever works best for everyone!

Thursdays are my favorite day of the week. October 18th works for me! Are we doing a happy hour? I know a cheap $3 Mojito/Margita restaurant on West 11th and 7th Avenue.  I get off work at 5:30pm....

Either the A/C/E/L to 14th Street and walk down greenwhich towards West 11th

Or B/D/F/M/A/C/E to West 4th and walk up to 7th ave and cross the street.

Originally Posted by Jazbot View Post

Thursdays are my favorite day of the week. October 18th works for me! Are we doing a happy hour? I know a cheap $3 Mojito/Margita restaurant on West 11th and 7th Avenue.  I get off work at 5:30pm....

Either the A/C/E/L to 14th Street and walk down greenwhich towards West 11th

Or B/D/F/M/A/C/E to West 4th and walk up to 7th ave and cross the street.

The 18th works for me, but if we do the 25th, Ange can also make it.

I don't think I can make it before 7, and I think Brio also said after 7pm. I know that's after happy hour in some places, but I do know a few happy hours that go until 8 or 9pm.

The 18th works for me, but if we do the 25th, Ange can also make it.

I don't think I can make it before 7, and I think Brio also said after 7pm. I know that's after happy hour in some places, but I do know a few happy hours that go until 8 or 9pm.

The 25th is good too. The spot I recommend are those prices all day actually.

Bone Lick Park Barbecue Restaurant

75 Greenwich Avenue, New York, NY 50 ft NW (212) 647-9600

http://bonelickparkbbq.com/

This is an option!!

I'm interested too! As for researching the value, would it be too crazy if we all make a tentative list of what we plan to bring? Just an idea.

Wow, this sounds like so much fun and a great opportunity to make new friends :D

To me thursdays are the best days because it's when I don't have classes late.

I live on the upper east side so anywhere in manhattan is nice with me. And I can bring my iPad and tether it to my cellphone for some basic internet access too so reviews shouldn't be much of an issue.

Looking forward to meeting everyone :)

Sweet! Sounds like Thursday, October 25th works well for everyone, then?

The other good thing about meeting late in the month is that everyone will have most of their October sub boxes by then, so more stuff to swap! smile.gif

Originally Posted by GariDong View Post

I'm interested too!

As for researching the value, would it be too crazy if we all make a tentative list of what we plan to bring? Just an idea.

I don't think a list is necessary. It's more surprising if we bring what we have.

Yes we shall have our other October subs! and I plan on attending the Sephora event this Friday! I can't wait to meet all of you inspiring ladies~

October 25th... did we settle on a time?

Someone said 7pm.