Sign in to follow this  
xiehan

Make-up Swap Meetup!

Originally Posted by Turboweevel View Post

Btw, where does everyone live? I'm on the Upper East Side at 96th and Lex.

I'm on 116th and Lex. biggrin.gif Hi neighbor!

Jazbot suggested Bone Lick Park in the West Village and I'm OK with that if everyone else is. My only other suggestion would be West 3rd Common (near NYU) which is closer to Union Square if that happens to be more convenient for people. It's my go-to spot if I'm looking for a chill bar and they're super easy-going about reservations for small parties.

I'm happy to let the Brooklynites / people who live outside of Manhattan take the lead on picking a location based on what's more convenient for them in terms of subway/train access etc. Obviously I prefer the East Side but I'm fine with whatever since the 6 always runs, whereas I know trains out of Manhattan can get tricky after 10pm, in case things run that late.

Originally Posted by Jazbot View Post

I don't think a list is necessary. It's more surprising if we bring what we have.

I think we should leave this up to everyone based on how they want to do it. I mean, for example, I already have a public trade list anyway, so I was going to suggest that people look at it beforehand and let me know if there's anything in particular that they want me to bring (even if they just want to see it) because it's unlikely that I'm going to want to bring every single thing I have up for trade.

I do think there's something to the element of surprise though -- and in my case, even though I do have the publicly available list, I have a few other things not listed that I might bring.

So... (thinking out loud here) maybe instead of all posting lists of what we have, we could at least post a list/description of things we are most interested in. eg. for me it might be: "I'm most interested in make-up, especially eye make-up, and I like warm colors and greens. I also love shimmery/glittery nail polishes, but I only use brands that are 3-free. I'm not really interested in most skincare or bath/body products."

That way those of us who have more stuff than we can reasonably haul to the event can use that as a guide to know what to bring with us because we'll have some sense of whether there's even interest, though you're still free to bring whatever you want.

Originally Posted by Turboweevel View Post

Btw, where does everyone live? I'm on the Upper East Side at 96th and Lex.

I'm in Brooklyn...I haven't seen anyone post other spots other than the one I had posted above. Which is West 4th Street area.

I'm in for the 25th too.  I also prefer East Side.  I think Union Sq would be convenient for Brooklynites as well.  Lots of subway options. 

Originally Posted by reepy View Post

I'm in for the 25th too.  I also prefer East Side.  I think Union Sq would be convenient for Brooklynites as well.  Lots of subway options. 

We were looking for a place that is affordable and spacious to sit and chat, sip and swap. The village has the best prices. Union Sq is pricey due to the tourist and limited spacing for large groups. (I go out a lot) lol

Union SQ (Broadway and 14th street) is not far from West 11th street.

If you are taking a number train from Brooklyn you can get the D train from Atlantic Avenue/Barclays Center.

No, I'm in Manhattan, I was just saying that I thought it would be convenient and since so many people were preferring East v. West it seemed like a good choice.  But I'm open to whatever.

Originally Posted by reepy View Post

No, I'm in Manhattan, I was just saying that I thought it would be convenient and since so many people were preferring East v. West it seemed like a good choice.  But I'm open to whatever.

Do you have any specific locations? More options would be good!

Originally Posted by Jazbot View Post

Do you have any specific locations? More options would be good!

My favorite bars in the East Village / Union Square area: (Most of these are closer to the 8th St N/R and Astor Place 6 stops, but also easily walkable to Union Square. Also mostly walkable to the B/D/F/M at Broadway-Lafayette)

• As mentioned before, West 3rd Common. West 3rd St at Broadway. Super chill. Decent food at decent prices.
  • Revival. 15th St at Irving Place. Generally not too crowded and chill. Not sure what their happy hour situation is but their standard pricing is not any more expensive than the average ($6 beers, etc). Con: no food.
  • Ninth Ward. 2nd Ave between 11th & 12th St. Lovely themed bar (cajun!) but can get noisy. Food is cheap and delicious.
  • Bua. St Marks between 1st Ave and Ave A. Con is a longer walk to/from subways, but drinks are delicious ($5 cocktails!) and it's also generally chill.
  • Grassroots Tavern. St Marks between 3rd Ave & Astor Place. Noisier but also cheaper. $4 mix drinks and $5 top-shelf is their standard (not happy hour) pricing!
  • Phebe's Tavern. Bowery at 4th St. Can get a bit noisy but not too terrible since the place is huge so there's room for people to spread out. Also decent cheap food.

We could also kick the theme up a notch and go to Beauty Bar on 14th St, but that's more expensive ($10 for a drink and crappy manicure).

There's also The Dove Parlour on Thompson St between Bleecker & West 3rd. That's Greenwich Village, so it's about equidistant between the West 4th, 8th St, and Broadway-Lafayette stops.

I've always figured that would be a great bar for a girls' night out. I think I can get busy during happy hour though. I don't remember. The last time I tried to go, it was too crowded and we didn't even try to go in. But that may have been a Friday or Saturday night. I think it was.

I'd like to suggest the Birch Coffee. I've been there before for another meetup and they have a very nice top floor. Also good drinks (I don't think they serve alcohol though, I just had a delicious chai latte).

http://www.birchcoffee.com/

It's on 27th St between Madison and 5th Ave and there's access to the 6 and NR nearby.

http://goo.gl/maps/lR3IY Here's a map of the location so you can see how to get there.

The 25th at 7pm works for me.  Any of the spots mentioned work for me, too.  I live in Astoria, so I will need to take a train regardless.  Drink specials sound fantastic!

I'm excited.  But lets keep in mind we will need room for each other and our samples. Crowded places would not be a good idea. People will probably not like the fact that we have abundance of makeup products out.

I chose the Village because its a care free zone (Literally, lol) the place I chose is large has good seating, good drink prices (all day), not noisy at all and easy to get too.

The 6 to 14th st and walk West one block and then south to West 11th St.

West 3rd has great places too and great prices but during certain times and after a certain time it gets really crowded.

If you guys want to go somewhere after the swap then that's great too! I do know a lounge free to get into on 15th and Broadway.

But Who like Chipotle??? If you guys like Chipotle I can ask my Brother who is a Restaurateur to see if he can get me Cards for free meals in his store its on 50th and Park Ave.

Let's be more specific as to what we want to do and remember that the group is growing and we are going to bring baggage...lol

Originally Posted by xiehan View Post

There's also The Dove Parlour on Thompson St between Bleecker & West 3rd. That's Greenwich Village, so it's about equidistant between the West 4th, 8th St, and Broadway-Lafayette stops.

I've always figured that would be a great bar for a girls' night out. I think I can get busy during happy hour though. I don't remember. The last time I tried to go, it was too crowded and we didn't even try to go in. But that may have been a Friday or Saturday night. I think it was.

Dove is really cute and is great for girls nights out.  It's right by my law school and there were loads of Law Women events there.  Keeping in mind that I graduated 5 years ago and my info is rather stale, it can get crowded on weekends but is generally pretty open on weeknights.  Not sure if Thursday counts as a weekend for law students now.  

And the 25th should be good for me!  We're moving next weekend so I've been super-busy and will be super-busy with that crap this week and next, but should be clear by then.

I think that is a good idea.  Turboweevel, do you know how to set up a Meetup?
I'm not sure I agree -- I'm generally not a fan of making people sign up for websites if they're already on another website, and I don't see what benefits we get from Meetup that we don't have here.

Dove is really cute and is great for girls nights out.  It's right by my law school and there were loads of Law Women events there.  Keeping in mind that I graduated 5 years ago and my info is rather stale, it can get crowded on weekends but is generally pretty open on weeknights.  Not sure if Thursday counts as a weekend for law students now.  
I know they're super easy-going about reservations so I'll give them a call this week. Or maybe if I happen to be down near the Village Thursday evening I'll go take a peak. You went to NYU Law? :) I went to NYU for grad school too! :rocknroll2:

Good point, plus they charge fees to create groups.

Maybe a thread that everyone can subscribe to that lists swap events is better? Or a shared google calendar? Something that notifies people of when new gatherings are set up so nobody misses any?

Good point, plus they charge fees to create groups. Maybe a thread that everyone can subscribe to that lists swap events is better? Or a shared google calendar? Something that notifies people of when new gatherings are set up so nobody misses any?
Oooh, I like the Google Calendar! Though for now since we're only organizing one upcoming event and we've already set a date and time I feel like we should just focus on that. Then after our first meeting we can talk about how frequently we want to keep doing this, and at that point a calendar would definitely be useful. I was planning on sending out a group PM next week to confirm the details and who's coming.

I wanna come. I already started sorting things out for the swap. Should I bring a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol for hygiene too? Are things swatched at swaps? I've never attended one so I don't know.