Drag Queens and Rockstars

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Everyone knows I'm not an "industry insider", even though I am occasionally invited to fashion launches (LipService, Hellkats LA, VARLA Magazine, etc.) However, I've always believed that you can get input from ANYone, and I have picked up a few bits of advice from some of the performers that I know.

The first bit of advice, I take with a grain of salt (considering that the source is an absolute boor): Joe LeSte (singer from the 80s--Bang Tango and Beautiful Creatures-did a spread for VOGUE back in the day, too) swears by lightly powdering the skull with black pigmented eyeshadow to make hair look fuller. Granted, he colors his hair black, but it does seem to work fairly well.

Steven Adler (original drummer of Guns n Roses): If you've seen him on CELEBRITY REHAB, you know he's got gorgeous skin...he swears it's all due to Cetaphil. Considering the abuse he's subjected his body to, it's rather amazing how clear and glowing his skin is. He's also a big proponent of not "over-washing" your hair, if you want it to be full-looking.

Bret Michaels (vocalist for Poison): Wet n Wild lipstick. It's what he wore on the cover of Look What the Cat Dragged In. He still uses their clear lip glosses, too, to "perfect the pout".

DJ Ashba (current guitarist for Guns n Roses): Uses cake mascara as eyeliner, because if it runs a bit under the lights, it gives the nice, messy kohl look. Also a HUGE proponent of eyebrow threading to get a much better line than waxing or tweezing. Much more precise, he says.

Chad Michaels (Finalist on RuPaul's Drag Race and #1 Cher Impersonator in the world): Open-toed shoes, if you're gonna wear big heels. Much more comfortable if you're going to be doing any sort of dancing or moving around, especially if there isn't a whole lot of platform in the base of the shoe (that one is a tip straight from RuPaul). Nude fishnets under tights to distract from any cellulite and make your legs look better-shaped, due to the illusion provided by the diamond patterning of the weave. Also, cake eyeliner for anything under the lights, because it sets better and is more precise. Foiled La Femme eyeshadows--they're heavily pigmented and have great staying power. He doesn't worry about whether it's baked or not, just wets that puppy down and paints up. Not a big fan of MAC, and feels their brushes are a bit overrated. Sadly, I was the only person in the room who got the joke about "La Mer on my toast in the morning". Ah well.

And pretty much every musician I know that does wear mascara swears by Great Lash, no matter how much I swear at them that it sucks.

Guess I'm on the right track. I'm all over Cetaphil and Wet n Wild
claps.gif

Great post. I'll never understand why Great Lash is so popular... Never. I personally hate it.

Michael Thomas (guitarist for more bands than I can probably even count) said it's because it's what his mom used. Eric Brittingham bassist for Cinderella) says he wears it because his wife likes how smudgy it gets when he's sweaty, even though he thinks it looks awful (Inga jumped into the conversation there to say, "oh, no, baby, it's HOT!")

Lol, what an interesting thread. Steven Adler does have great skin, especially considering all thejnk he put in his body! Dunno on the Great Lash, I've still never used it. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I feel like great lash is just a habit. Its the only mascara my mom has ever used. I will never understand it, but to each their own, I guess. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Everyone knows I'm not an "industry insider", even though I am occasionally invited to fashion launches (LipService, Hellkats LA, VARLA Magazine, etc.) However, I've always believed that you can get input from ANYone, and I have picked up a few bits of advice from some of the performers that I know.

The first bit of advice, I take with a grain of salt (considering that the source is an absolute boor): Joe LeSte (singer from the 80s--Bang Tango and Beautiful Creatures-did a spread for VOGUE back in the day, too) swears by lightly powdering the skull with black pigmented eyeshadow to make hair look fuller. Granted, he colors his hair black, but it does seem to work fairly well.

Steven Adler (original drummer of Guns n Roses): If you've seen him on CELEBRITY REHAB, you know he's got gorgeous skin...he swears it's all due to Cetaphil. Considering the abuse he's subjected his body to, it's rather amazing how clear and glowing his skin is. He's also a big proponent of not "over-washing" your hair, if you want it to be full-looking.

Bret Michaels (vocalist for Poison): Wet n Wild lipstick. It's what he wore on the cover of Look What the Cat Dragged In. He still uses their clear lip glosses, too, to "perfect the pout".

DJ Ashba (current guitarist for Guns n Roses): Uses cake mascara as eyeliner, because if it runs a bit under the lights, it gives the nice, messy kohl look. Also a HUGE proponent of eyebrow threading to get a much better line than waxing or tweezing. Much more precise, he says.

Chad Michaels (Finalist on RuPaul's Drag Race and #1 Cher Impersonator in the world): Open-toed shoes, if you're gonna wear big heels. Much more comfortable if you're going to be doing any sort of dancing or moving around, especially if there isn't a whole lot of platform in the base of the shoe (that one is a tip straight from RuPaul). Nude fishnets under tights to distract from any cellulite and make your legs look better-shaped, due to the illusion provided by the diamond patterning of the weave. Also, cake eyeliner for anything under the lights, because it sets better and is more precise. Foiled La Femme eyeshadows--they're heavily pigmented and have great staying power. He doesn't worry about whether it's baked or not, just wets that puppy down and paints up. Not a big fan of MAC, and feels their brushes are a bit overrated. Sadly, I was the only person in the room who got the joke about "La Mer on my toast in the morning". Ah well.

And pretty much every musician I know that does wear mascara swears by Great Lash, no matter how much I swear at them that it sucks.
Loveeee this thread. And I hope one day to be at least 1/8 as fabulous as Chad Michaels.

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great post. I'll never understand why Great Lash is so popular... Never. I personally hate it.
Ditto. Major ditto.

Been on the cetaphil train for over 25 years! and wet n wild colors last for about 2 days I tell all my students to load up on them, first two ingredients are wax and wax.

Maybelline great lash is a staple in the industry because of tight shots, it does not flake and you never have chunks all things you need to avoid.

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Loveeee this thread. And I hope one day to be at least 1/8 as fabulous as Chad Michaels.
Did you go see her perform in Tucson Saturday night? I went Friday in Phoenix :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think the success of Great Lash has to do with it's distinctive green and pink packaging.  Like you said, people remember their moms wearing it and that has positive associations.  I've also seen it on the aisle near the candy as you're checking out at Target, so it seems to be the go to generic type mascara marketed to everyone.  I think the pink and green makes it stand out and that made me think of rock stars stopping in to pick up their eye makeup, I can't see them standing in front of all of the new mascaras and reading the backs and figuring out which ones are the best, lol. Of course, they probably have people to do that for them, or their makeup artists do it, but I'm sure they have some at home to use on their own too.  They'd definitely be the ones to put mascaras through the ringer with the hot lights and physical effort that goes into their music, along with long hours.  Maybe a mascara company should try a tagline - "tested on rock stars" like they do "only tested on supermodels".  I'd definitely buy an eyeliner that I know could last through a concert and afterparty on a guy who played his heart out under the lights and sweated like a guy and it still stayed put!

Originally Posted by sweetiegirlll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the success of Great Lash has to do with it's distinctive green and pink packaging.  Like you said, people remember their moms wearing it and that has positive associations.  I've also seen it on the aisle near the candy as you're checking out at Target, so it seems to be the go to generic type mascara marketed to everyone.  I think the pink and green makes it stand out and that made me think of rock stars stopping in to pick up their eye makeup, I can't see them standing in front of all of the new mascaras and reading the backs and figuring out which ones are the best, lol. Of course, they probably have people to do that for them, or their makeup artists do it, but I'm sure they have some at home to use on their own too.  They'd definitely be the ones to put mascaras through the ringer with the hot lights and physical effort that goes into their music, along with long hours.  Maybe a mascara company should try a tagline - "tested on rock stars" like they do "only tested on supermodels".  I'd definitely buy an eyeliner that I know could last through a concert and afterparty on a guy who played his heart out under the lights and sweated like a guy and it still stayed put!
Um, if they're doing a club tour (the level of most of these guys these days), they don't have makeup artists and are doing/buying their own. LOL And, yes, "Can you drive me to Walmart for socks and eyeliner?" is usually the first words out of their mouths when they pull into town. Hell, even the ones still selling decently in sheds (Poison, Def Leppard) that I know do their own makeup IF they're using any.

I absolutely adore Chad Michaels!!! <3  And I still can't understand the Great Lash love.  Even though my BFF adores it! (Just checking to see if you're reading this, Princess2010!)

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm with you on that one! I remember a few years ago reading how the makeup artists use Great Lash on the models. So I tried it then asked myself why? lol

What a great thread!  I agree with the comments on Chad Michaels, I would love to look an eigth as good.  As for Bret Micheals...love his look and I always thought he was cute! 
lovelovee.gif

Maybelline great lash is used soooooo much because in a close up you don't see chunks and it does not flake as well as it lasting all day.

Look at how close you see faces in print, film and television, with so few frames to tell a story no distractions allowed.

Originally Posted by studiomakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybelline great lash is used soooooo much because in a close up you don't see chunks and it does not flake as well as it lasting all day.

Look at how close you see faces in print, film and television, with so few frames to tell a story no distractions allowed.
Oh, I can't deny it photographs well; I just don't think that it works well in a live performance setting, ya know?

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Um, if they're doing a club tour (the level of most of these guys these days), they don't have makeup artists and are doing/buying their own. LOL And, yes, "Can you drive me to Walmart for socks and eyeliner?" is usually the first words out of their mouths when they pull into town. Hell, even the ones still selling decently in sheds (Poison, Def Leppard) that I know do their own makeup IF they're using any.
Wow, that's awesome.  I guess I had them kind of built up in my mind when of course they're really just people like you and I and put on their socks and eyeliner the same way. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I think I was thinking of that one guy who is a guitarist, too, who has the inflated girlfriend, the one who is more plastic than human, you know who I mean?  I think there was talk of them on another thread.  Anyhow, I was thinking of her and how she's his girlfriend (wife now I suppose) but is also a makeup artist.  But these guys are pros and have been doing what they've been doing for years, I'm sure it's just second nature to them by now to line their eyes if that's part of their routine.  Cool insight, thanks for sharing your tips.  There's just something about guyliner . . . 

Originally Posted by sweetiegirlll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, that's awesome.  I guess I had them kind of built up in my mind when of course they're really just people like you and I and put on their socks and eyeliner the same way. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I think I was thinking of that one guy who is a guitarist, too, who has the inflated girlfriend, the one who is more plastic than human, you know who I mean?  I think there was talk of them on another thread.  Anyhow, I was thinking of her and how she's his girlfriend (wife now I suppose) but is also a makeup artist.  But these guys are pros and have been doing what they've been doing for years, I'm sure it's just second nature to them by now to line their eyes if that's part of their routine.  Cool insight, thanks for sharing your tips.  There's just something about guyliner . . . 
Are you talking about Josie (Pearl) Stevens? (We were discussing her on another thread) If so, I wasn't aware she was an MUA now, as when she was with Jizzy, she was pursuing photography.

Back