Should Kids Get Part Time Jobs?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on having their kids work part time like delivering newspapers.  I don't see too many kids delivering newspapers in my area, mostly adults. 

Do your kids have a part time job?  If they do, do they get to spend the money they earn or do you save it for them in a bank account for future use like a buying a car or going to university?

I think teenagers working is a good thing... They learn responsibility, money skills, and a sense of pride and dedication. I've been working since I was 13, from cleaning motel rooms to waiting tables as a teen. I was able to have money and spend it as I saw fit. With the economy now, it's sad to see that so many people are competing for minimum wage jobs and therefore, competition is stiff and jobs very limited.

It isn't as bad in Canada. Newspapers are delivered by adults here because I live on a hill, every house in this area has a long driveway or a long hilly one and still having to climb stairs to get to the door.  Usually they pick the adults that can't speak English. 

My son is 15 now and I'm paying him to look after his sister after school while I'm at work. 

I think it's good for teenagers. I can't remember how long it has been since I saw a paperboy. Literally years. I started working at 13, babysitting, working at the snack bar at the local summer camp so I always had a little cash. My kids haven't mostly because they won't hire under 16 for much of anything around here. Also two of them have pretty heavy homework loads. Way more than I ever did. My oldest son frequently has 3 or more hours of homework a night and that is only on a normal night. Most of his classes are college prep so some of it is to be expected.

Once he is 16 he knows he has to start looking for at least a weekend job. I do believe learning money handling and responsibility is very important.

I had part time jobs by the time I was 14. I worked in the summer and throughout the school year.

Looking back, I think I worked too much during the school year. But I enjoyed the money too much to scale back. My parents let me spend my money whatever way I wanted to - but they did advise me to save some of it.

My son has pretty much followed suit. He was advised to save some of his earnings but I'm sure he spent most of it.

He finished high school in Dec. Since then, he has had the opportunity to make money that he now uses in university.

I agree with Dalylah - helps to teach a child about money and responsibility.

I was listening to a financial adviser - forget the name.

They advise giving a child money for each chore/task rather than a flat allowance to cover all chores for the week,

This way, the child learns that they have to do extra things or work extra hard, to be rewarded. Similar to how many adults earn their salary.

I think kids working is a wonderful idea. I was always raised to work for what you want/need. My grandfather delivered papers in his retirement to keep in shape, & I went with him every Sunday morning from the time I was probably 8 or 9 or so until he passed in 2009 (I was 15.) If I went with him on Sunday, he'd buy me that wagon I wanted. Things like that. When I was 14 I got a part-time job at a local roller skating rink, then at 15 I was hired full time at a local fast food place until I turned 16 & snagged a full time job as a front desk associate at a local Marriott hotel. All the while I had college prep/advanced classes in high school and now I'm in college. My family isn't the best off financially, but I can't complain because I have a job and we're not in any trouble. A co-worker of mine works part-time and her dad takes her paychecks and directly puts them into an account for her - this money has bought her her college laptop, dorm supplies & books. I love what her parents were able to do for her. She was saving all of this money and had no idea, but she knew she had to work for the down payment on her car.

Basically, speaking as an 18yr-old, I have to say that part time jobs are good for kids if they can get them. It teaches a wonderful sense of value, but the parents have to teach it, too. An ex-coworker worked, yeah, but his father would still come in from out of town every other week to clean up after him and buy him groceries to fill his kitchen. He also bought him a brand-new car & foots all the bills...I understand taking care of your child, but there's a point that you have to draw a line so they learn financial responsibilty.

My children earn their money thru chores that do not involve stuff they need to do for themselves like cleaning their rooms or clearing dishes.  They do chores like mowing the lawn or folding and putting away everyone's laundry or vacuuming and steam cleaning floors and cleaning bathrooms.  They are free to spend that money on wants.  We still buy clothing and other things when they need it.  They can do extra 'projects' that earn them extra like weeding or helping with renovation projects. 

I'm just thinking about when my son turns 16.  High schools in BC require would-be graduates to hand in a portfolio of experience which includes either a volunteer position or a part time job in order to graduate high school. 

I dont pay my kids for chores nor did my parents. I did get a job when I was 16. My car ins back then was 120 every 6 months so I paid my parents 20$ a month and the weeks I got paid i paid for the gas in my car and lunch. on weeks I didnt get paid my parents gave me lunch and gas money.

I think working is a good idea for most kids 16 and up. It is hard getting a job as a grown up with little or no experience in the work place. A lot of kids now a days have a sense of entitlement. So it is good to make them responsible at least for some of the fun things they want.

Originally Posted by KaraW /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont pay my kids for chores nor did my parents. I did get a job when I was 16. My car ins back then was 120 every 6 months so I paid my parents 20$ a month and the weeks I got paid i paid for the gas in my car and lunch. on weeks I didnt get paid my parents gave me lunch and gas money.
OMG, what I would give to have $120 cover 6mos. of car insurance!

I think the situation from household to household. Should kids gets jobs? Define the age on that? 10? 12? 13? Younger? No, I think kids should be kids at that age but once they're a teenager - well at least 14 - they should have some kind of job outside the house be it pet sitting, dog walking, mowing someone's lawn, raking leaves because I think it teaches the teen that there will come a time in their life that they will be dependent on someone else for money. At age 16 that "kid" should have a part time job some where be at the mall or a car washing place on the weekends.

A close family friend is struggling economically right now. It really helps her a lot that her daughter baby sits for the extra things she wants or needs. When she babysits she saves some money and then has a little bit left over to hang out with friends. It's a great way for kids to learn that not everything is just handed to them and that they should not be demanding everything that they see. They will learn that they need to pace themselves and wait until they have saved enough money for what they want!
claps.gif

Back