How much do you spend on a handbag?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Usually, I spend about $45-50 on a regular bag, but I do like high-end bags like D&B, Coach, etc., as well. My dream is to own a Louis Vuitton bag. How much do/would you spend on a bag?

I usually spend between $75-$100 per bag, not including the matching wallet (which I always get). I have a handbag problem . . . .

I would spend up to $150 on a handbag and I dont like switching bags so I tend to buy a black one for every day.

This is kind of a two-part question for me: I like unusual bags of various sorts (one of my favorites is a Tillys bag that looks like a Warhol painting of Edie Sedgwick), but I'm generally not willing spend more than $25 for those.

Betsey Johnson, on the other hand? Oh my. She's my favorite designer and I have loved a lot of her bags--the most I've spent on one was $85 (the bag had a full retail of $288) and I'll be blunt--it was the first bag I ever purchased that had a dust bag. I felt so grown. LOL

I have spent $200+ on handbags before, but I don't usually spend too much anymore. I'm not concerned about matching wallets; I like to mix it up. Lol, I have a few handbags that came with dustbags, too lol. Plus, I find myself switching up bags or falling in love and wearing the sh#t outta one or two. So oftentimes, I'll look around TJMaxx, Ross or other discount stores. I'm not too concerned about trends when looking to purchase. I stick to what I like, buttery soft leather feel or patent and shiny, hardware, interesting patterns like ostrich or croc, and just recently trying to break out of neutrals. Big is always good, can't believe I turned into one of those ladies who carries a house in her bag lol.

I have a handbag problem, or more a kate spade problem. I try to buy them on clearance at nordstrom or lord and taylor or bloomingdales, or off of gilt.com when they show up there, but I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I have spent over $300 on a purse. The number of purses I have with dustbags that I never even carry is really sad. I should take them to a second hand shop, but I just find a lot of comfort in them. It's a bad habit.

Most of my bags are all $20-75 since they get beat up so quickly but I have been fawning over the Phillip Lim pashli satchel for MONTHS now. I would be happy with something cheap in a similar style but I haven't found any knockoffs floating around. I hope I can eventually own the real one though, if I still love the style as much by the time I graduate and cash my first engineering paycheck haha.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a handbag problem, or more a kate spade problem. I try to buy them on clearance at nordstrom or lord and taylor or bloomingdales, or off of gilt.com when they show up there, but I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I have spent over $300 on a purse. The number of purses I have with dustbags that I never even carry is really sad. I should take them to a second hand shop, but I just find a lot of comfort in them. It's a bad habit.
I have a new found love of Kate Spade!  I've purchased 2 in the last 2 months from the outlet.  Got each for under $80.  I used to buy D&B and Coach like crazy, but now I like to keep my collection under 10, and pieces that won't go out of style.  I sold a bunch of my old ones on ebay, got quite a bit for them too!

Originally Posted by Lisa N /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a new found love of Kate Spade!  I've purchased 2 in the last 2 months from the outlet.  Got each for under $80.  I used to buy D&B and Coach like crazy, but now I like to keep my collection under 10, and pieces that won't go out of style.  I sold a bunch of my old ones on ebay, got quite a bit for them too!
That is the best thing about kate spade to me...they are always "classic" never go out of style bags. And I find them to be less...idk how to put htis nicely...gaudy??? than coach, because I feel like coach is always covered in Cs.

That is the best thing about kate spade to me...they are always "classic" never go out of style bags. And I find them to be less...idk how to put htis nicely...gaudy??? than coach, because I feel like coach is always covered in Cs.
Actually, they have a ton of leather non-logo bags.

The most I spent was on my Louis Vuitton Speedy 35 (I have the Damier Ebene print, not the monogram). I wanna say I spent around $800, but it has been quite some time so I am not sure of the price. I have a lot of Coach, some Dooney & Bourke, and a few other brands. I did win a $2k handbag, a Chloe Paraty, but that doesn't count since I didn't actually spend the money on one.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, they have a ton of leather non-logo bags.
I know, but I rarely see anyone carrying those, and when I worked at macy's those were never the ones that sold, which is why I feel like all of their bags are tacky.

I know, but I rarely see anyone carrying those, and when I worked at macy's those were never the ones that sold, which is why I feel like all of their bags are tacky.
I don't even get that. I have seen ladies at the outlet looking for only the logo bags. I can't wrap my mind around it lol.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't even get that. I have seen ladies at the outlet looking for only the logo bags. I can't wrap my mind around it lol.
I guess its a (perceived) status thing, at least that is the only thing I can understand...kind of like.."I'm carrying a coach bag so everyone should know it".  It's weird to me too. 

I have two "sets" of bags, I have my lower end bags, most of which I get at Winners and stuff.. These are my daily bags that see the harshness of daily life they cost anywhere from $50-$100... And I use them everyday until they desintegrate lol

Then I have my higher end bags... I have a Michael Kors Large Hamilton bag that was $470 and I also have a used 100% authentic Louis Vuitton 25 Speedy that I bought for $200. I just bought a Diesel bag too, that I actually got for $50 (it was 70% off!)

I feel like its worth spending on my "higher end" bags because they're just of better quality (real leather and etc.) and I know that they'll last me a long time.. My Speedy is the perfect example, it was made in 2001, its got wear and tear (obviously) but it still looks/functions great! 

I will not buy a bag that's more than $50. The most expensive bag I have was a gift from Christmas and that was around $200. Eek!

I would spend any more than $85 on a bag.  I prefer the $25-35 range.  I don't like carrying hand bags, I like either a small messenger bag or something cross shoulder so I can multi-task... push a grocery cart, check my phone, hold children's hands etc.  

The most expensive I bought was $200 for hubby. Mine would be like $100 -- i am okay with it.

Originally Posted by iPretty949 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The most expensive I bought was $200 for hubby. Mine would be like $100 -- i am okay with it.
Lol, my husband uses a $400 Cartier wallet.  He's had it for 4 years, but that's why he can't complain about me buying purses.

I still have some bags left over from dating a really rich guy a few years back, I think the most expensive bag he bought for me was a $2000 one from Bottega Veneta in addition to all sorts of fancy designer clothes and other accessories. Now that I'm self-employed I only spend up to $150-200 on a single bag.

Hmm... The most I've spent is about 450. I'm a Coach and Michael Kors fan, all of which are leather. I own a Louis Vuitton bag, but that was a gift.

Latest posts

Back