Beauty Tools on a limited budget:O

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okie, so here's my sorry tale of woe.

I love to experiment with makeup. the thing is, im not so great with what brush does what, nor do i have all the necessary brushes/spongers/applicators/whatnot to achieve some of the techniques i want to try. 

AND I don't have a lot of money to purchase said required tools.

Currently, I have about 6 Avon brushes ( don't knock them- they're AWESOME on my skin, and i love the look they help create. my favourite is the kabuki brush,) Sad, I know- i need more.

Anywho, I guess what I REALLY want to say- or is it ask?- is what tools do YOU love, where do you find them and Can you do it on a limited budget!?

if you want, list types of tools, the things you do with those tools, where to find etc and so on.

id love your input!

Peace and Love!

I was thinking about buying some Elf brushes too, many seem to love them and they're really, really cheap. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I actually like several of ELF's brushes, which can be incredibly cheap. Thing is, I probably don't use many brushes "as intended" since I just play around with them and see what I can do, ya know?

That said, this has a decent overview: http://www.ehow.com/how_4473084_use-up-brushes.html
I keep hearing about the Elf brushes, I am definately going to check them out. are they gentle?

I'll second ELF studio brushes, too. Gentle and effective, without breaking the bank. I'm going to get some Eco Tools next time I see them on sale, because I keep hearing great things about them and Real Techniques brushes.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm going to get some Eco Tools next time I see them on sale, because I keep hearing great things about them and Real Techniques brushes.
Get the bronzer brush. It's so soft and floofy!

Originally Posted by LoriAnnLV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have quite a few of the elf Studio brushes. I love them. I also really like the Makeup Geek brushes.
can you tell me about the makeup geek brushes?

Aren't MUG's brushes just Crown branded brushes much like Korean has Crown make his?

I have so many of the ELF brushes and love them however I have learned if I like one make sure I get it then cause it seems as though when u purchase again it is possible the quality will not be the same the next time... unsure why but I have a great Stippling brush and bought another and it was weak and not even the same quality at all... but overall great cheap brushes

e.l.f. brushes are very hit and miss for me. I love the studio line powder brush but not for powder. It's pretty dense so I like it for liquid foundation. The only problem I find is that it's very hard to clean, but then again I may just need a better brush cleaner.

Couple month ago I got Pro big Powder brush from Royal Care cosmetics for around $7 with shipping on Amazon, just to make sure of the quality. I have been using fot a few month. And I felt in love with this brush. And two weeks ago I ordered 12 brush set from the same company

it includes:

• Pro Big Powder Brush,Pro Foundation Blush Powder Brush, Pro Foundation Blush Powder Brush
  • Pro Big Blending Brush, Pro Flat Eyeshadow Brush, Pro Small Eyeshadow Blending Brush
  • Pro Angled Soft Eyeshadow Brush, Pro Round Blending Brush, Pro Double Ended Powder Brush
  • Pro Angled Eyeliner Brush, Pro Eye Liner Brush, Pro Lip Brush
  • And I have to admit I love it. I paid around $20 with shipping coast. I thought for $20 I'm not gonna get really good quality brush set, but it suprised me All of the is perfect :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And I'm really happy that I found it

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aren't MUG's brushes just Crown branded brushes much like Korean has Crown make his?
I've heard they are. I don't have any similar Crown brushes to do a side by side though. I have the MUG Crease Brush, Outer V, and the Cheek Highlighter. I use the two eyeshadow brushes more than the cheek brush. Most of her brushes are natural hair whereas the e.l.f. brushes are synthetic. Price range is typically $5 to $9. 

MUG Brushes

I have a ton of brushes and  most of them are high end like Chanel, stila, mac, and Nars. I love all of these brushes but for the money I would have to say the ELF STUDIO brushes are AWESOME!!! I an noticing that I grab those the most! They are so cheap you won't feel bad if you don't like one or two that you buy and when its time to replace you won't feel so bad tossing it and buying a new one. I LOVE my studio brushes the pointed foundation brush, pointed blush brush, angled foundation brush, flat big brush not sure what its called are my faves!!!!!!!!! 

I'm a huge fan of ecotools brushes, but I do have a few Sonia Kashuk ones. I know a lot of people are obsessed with getting the MAC brushes but they just cost too much and they are animal hair, I prefer synthetic brushes (I'm a vegetarian and would have to be a hypocrite when it comes down to beauty too) also I find that those are softer in some cases, especially the ecotools ones

Originally Posted by LoriAnnLV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard they are. I don't have any similar Crown brushes to do a side by side though. I have the MUG Crease Brush, Outer V, and the Cheek Highlighter. I use the two eyeshadow brushes more than the cheek brush. Most of her brushes are natural hair whereas the e.l.f. brushes are synthetic. Price range is typically $5 to $9. 

MUG Brushes

Looking at the brushes it does look like the ones Crown and their sister company Morphe has - the MUG deluxe foundation stippling brush looks like one from the Duo Fiber series for example. Nothing wrong with using Crown to make her brushes. They make decent brushes - I own several from their Italian Badger line but those shed because it's natural hair, I like their Duo Fiber series (I only own one at this time). Price wise... taking a look at her prices... a little higher than Crown or Morphe but that's to be expected. Even the Ve Neill brushes are more expensive than the normal Crown brushes (as in around $600 to $700 to buy her entire set at IMATS).

I like

1. Elf
  2. Eco tools
  3. Sonia Kashuk (instead of buying a brush one at a time you can get a great starter kit for 15 @ target it has 4/5 brushes)

Sonia Kashuk has great brushes for a good price! for 2$ more i order online at sigma. (not the kits) but the singles are affordable. It depends if you only need to get a few or start anew with a bunch. if you're looking for a lot i'd go with elf studio brushes! I love them...and SK of course

Latest posts

Back