Official October 2012 No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...back on the wagon. I will say that I KNEW I wanted the OPI "Living Daylights", so I ordered right before midnight...let's see if I can actually DO IT this time!

=)  Good plan - head yourself off at the pass!  Now no worry you'll buy it during the month and think, "Oh, well.  Already blew it.  ULTA, I'M'A COMMIN'!"

I actually did pretty well in September...other than subs, I didn't buy any make up that I remember, really? And I wasn't even trying. I think in October I'm going to write it down if I buy anything so I can make sure I actually am on track, but yeah, bring it on this time.

I'm trying again this month.  I know Ulta F&F will hit at the end of the month, but I really don't think I need anything.  I'm hoping there aren't any good sales that pop up, and if there is hopefully I can talk myself out of them.

So this will be my first time not buying anything for a month, I always buy makeup whenever I go to the store. I am starting to get better at making a list of what i really need and keeping it, so far I dont need anything so I'll see how this goes. I also cancelled 2 of my BA subs, I have so many samples that I havent used and there really isnt a reason to keep getting more if I cant use up the ones I already have lol

i'm going on a low buy. My summer foundation is beginning to get a little too dark for me, plus I have some really nice coupons 
icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm setting a $30 budget for polish. I've been going crazy buying them and maybe the fumes have gone to my head lol. I did good on makeup last month and only restocked my HG Revlon foundation, which I bought on sale and saved 70% with coupons. The nail polish obsession is killing me, though! I haven't even swatched all my new colors and am ready to buy more. Control, girl, need to exercise some more control lol.

Linda, I feel you--nail polish is something I buy in far too great a quantity. I've reached the point where it seems like MOST of the new lines are stuffed with shades very similar to what I have already, so that helps, some, to only buy things that are substantially different from what I have already :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'll be joining you guys this month. I'll be doing a low buy this month since I spent way too much last month :/

Linda, I feel you--nail polish is something I buy in far too great a quantity. I've reached the point where it seems like MOST of the new lines are stuffed with shades very similar to what I have already, so that helps, some, to only buy things that are substantially different from what I have already :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I think I'm relatively happy with my makeup stash and am waiting for the holidays..which helps. But I constantly find myself browsing polishes and snatching one up lol. I can easily pick up new colors and make some excuse as to why I need it, despite having three similar shades lol. "that's more blue and opaque, mine are all dark and metallic"...blah blah lol. Polish has become my new craze and kryptonite...eventually it'll pass, but I'm hooked for now and need to curb the urge a bit!

About three months ago, I looked at my polish stash and realized I had like TWELVE red with gold shimmer, five or six navy jellies, etc.....that's when I set my new rule, that it needs to be substantially different from what I have before I'll get it. Thankfully, since I love obnoxious glitters and duochromes and metallics and such, there's a ton of things that I DON'T already have.

(Funny that since joining Julep, I've skipped all but once. And I no longer jump all over the mystery boxes.)

Yeesh.. Julep has been a disappointment for me, but I've done mystery boxes. I think I've skipped half my boxes, gifted one and forgot to skip one. So really four out of seven boxes I skipped, should have been 5 and bought 2 mystery boxes. Lol, still subbed and happily skipping another month, though!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeesh.. Julep has been a disappointment for me, but I've done mystery boxes. I think I've skipped half my boxes, gifted one and forgot to skip one. So really four out of seven boxes I skipped, should have been 5 and bought 2 mystery boxes. Lol, still subbed and happily skipping another month, though!
Dare I even ask the total number of your nail polishes? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Not a lot compared to some.. maybe 70? I'm still working on amassing my collection lol. I think I'm going to break down my purchases and make a list. Say two or three metallics in a specific shade and then no more. Do that for the rainbow of colors and various finishes. Poo, that leaves a lot of polish left to buy lol.. maybe just one a week. I can live with that.

I think in terms of Julep, I don't really love the quality that much. It's good, but I'd never pay retail for one of their polishes. Thanks to Dalylah, I've found a few sites that sell great brands like Orly, China Glaze and that's better value IMO. If China Glaze or OPI or Orly did a monthly sub... I'd be ALL over it!

I think in terms of Julep, I don't really love the quality that much. It's good, but I'd never pay retail for one of their polishes. Thanks to Dalylah, I've found a few sites that sell great brands like Orly, China Glaze and that's better value IMO. If China Glaze or OPI or Orly did a monthly sub... I'd be ALL over it!
I agree whole-heartedly about Julep. There have been a few amazing HITS, but most have been nearly-adequate misses. LOVE ORLY! (People seem to forget about them)

I never really cared about polish until recently.  I always have my toes done in the summer, but rarely did a mani because it would last like 2 days since I spend all my time bangin away on a keyboard.  Then the Zoya BOGO happened, then the Butter London deals last month, and now I'm swimming in polish.  Oh, and I picked up the Zoya blogger collection.  I did trade away/sell a lot of the polishes I already had on hand so I don't feel as bad.  I made a promise to myself that since I have all these new colors (I went with all colors I never would have tried before) that I would actually wear them.  So far it's been a little over a month and I've stuck to it.  Orly Bonder has helped greatly with the staying power, and I'm finding I love the nudes and darker colors, when before I was pretty strictly pink.  I shouldn't have a problem not buying polish this month, and I'm way stocked up on hair products.  The only thing that's going to get me is Ulta F&F.  It's so hard to resist!  I have over 1,100 BB points, so maybe if I place an order and use my points it'll curb the urge to go to Ulta.

Oh my WHAT?! over 1,100 BB points..for shame, I was excited to get to 200 and not spend them lol..on both accounts!! I admire your willpower!

The nail polish obsession is killing me, though! I haven't even swatched all my new colors and am ready to buy more. Control, girl, need to exercise some more control lol.
Same! There's a Walgreens right by my house that I pass by twice a day and it's so hard to not pop in at least once a week and pick up a handful of polishes and see if there's anything I want to try that just happens to be on sale.

I'm probably going to try to do at least a low buy this month - I guess it helps that I'm in the middle of midterms and don't really have the time to spare to shop excessively! I'll probably end up doing some major damage in November though.

Oh my WHAT?! over 1,100 BB points..for shame, I was excited to get to 200 and not spend them lol..on both accounts!! I admire your willpower!
Lol, my name is Lisa and I'm a point hoarder.  I've placed 3 full size orders with coupon codes, I've just been hoarding my points for some reason.  My neice wants a bunch of stuff for Christmas, so maybe I'll use them for that.

Latest posts

Back