Primer, powder, or setting spray?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to the Bahamas for a rave (exciting I know!) and I am looking for something that will make my makeup last, possibly all day and night (with minor touch ups if needed) through the dancing and the heat. I am in the search of a new foundation (leaning towards MUFE HD or MAC Matchmaster) but am more concerned with setting my foundation.

I have combination skin, oily in the T-zone after a few hours after washing and normal everywhere else. I have never used a face primer. Is this just for creating a smooth/perfecting base or does it make foundation last longer? Also, do you find that oil absorbing or matte primers extend your foundation wear? I am thinking about purchasing a translucent powder for everyday (work) makeup days? Does this extend foundation life? Any pressed powder suggestions? I am VERY interesting in try Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray? What are your thoughts? Does it make foundation stay longer? Which products or combination (not interested in using all three!) of products do you think will help make my foundation last longer? This is a lot. I know. I appreciate your responses greatly. THANK YOU!

You'll want an oil free primer or one made for oily/combo skin and yes, it can help create a nice smooth surface and extend the wear of foundation. I'd suggest oil blotting papers and maybe the UD deslick spray? Translucent loose powder can be used to set foundation as well and a pressed powder for touch ups throughout the day. There's a lot of great options, depending on which brands you prefer or want to try.

I live in kenya and here the weather can get extremy out of control and it gets really hot. i use powder to set my foundation and it works really well does not sun off my face or anything and i have mixed type of skin. but do try a primer because i think you are going to need it.

You could get the little size of UD all nighter or deslick at sephora. Where in Maryland are you? I can tell you alllll about the sephoras and ultas lol. Plus a lot of the Macy's around here have UD, too. 

hmm I live in MoCo so I don't know much about B-more, but if you can make it down to Tyson's Corner in VA there sephora always has fun events..so you could have some fun and give the UD sprays a try...and ask the sephora ladies if they have any other recommendations.

I have UD all NIghter and at Sephor they have a small size for 12.00...try it to see if you like it and hopefully it works well for you. I like mine. Have fun on your trip. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Here is my personal advice

First spray the skin with a setting spray then apply a primer and then concealer, foundation... etc and complete it with a very light coat of setting powder.. this works for me every time for very hot climates

In hot climates I use antiperspirant over the whole face, makeup, set with powder and then a setting spray.

There are many setting sprays on the market and the one I find that works the best is 'Model In A Bottle' or use cheap hair spray like Aqua Net. 

Does the antiperspirant keep your face from prospering? that's a good tip, first time I've heard it.  What kind of setting spray do you use?

Originally Posted by studiomakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In hot climates I use antiperspirant over the whole face, makeup, set with powder and then a setting spray.

There are many setting sprays on the market and the one I find that works the best is 'Model In A Bottle' or use cheap hair spray like Aqua Net. 
I am guessing here that you mean an antiperspirant spray...?

There is a product out there called Sweat Stop that's been around for about 8 years or so, which is a liquid. And I am guessing that you don't mean this?

So essentially you use a barrier product first, like you would before you would apply a full piece prosthetic appliance, yes?

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hair spray? On my face? No thanks lol
Yeah, that old-school method has been done for decades and that's how setting sprays came about.

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am guessing here that you mean an antiperspirant spray...?

There is a product out there called Sweat Stop that's been around for about 8 years or so, which is a liquid. And I am guessing that you don't mean this?

So essentially you use a barrier product first, like you would before you would apply a full piece prosthetic appliance, yes?

Yeah, that old-school method has been done for decades and that's how setting sprays came about.
I never use sprays I use liquid or a stick, as far as the sweat stop I go right for the stuff that works Ban, apply with a sponge, when I work on people that worry about labels I will put it into a small squeeze bottle.

If I am applying large pieces, yes.

Love my Aqua Net it still works better than any of the other setting sprays.

I had never heard of using antiperspirant on my face. I will have to remember that next summer. I never put anything but eye makeup on when it is hot because of the sweat. 

Originally Posted by studiomakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I never use sprays I use liquid or a stick, as far as the sweat stop I go right for the stuff that works Ban, apply with a sponge, when I work on people that worry about labels I will put it into a small squeeze bottle.

If I am applying large pieces, yes.

Love my Aqua Net it still works better than any of the other setting sprays.
Right, copy that, I've seen one MUA use Arrid Xtra dry, so whatever works.

I love using primer as a foundation.  As a woman of color I love the MUFE #4 primer.  With its use, I have no need for foundation,

Originally Posted by Ashitude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had never heard of using antiperspirant on my face. I will have to remember that next summer. I never put anything but eye makeup on when it is hot because of the sweat. 
When you use this trick you can wear more makeup than a female impersonator and it still wont come off.

What I love to do is take half a tablespoon of corn starch and another half a tablespoon of mineral foundation powder, mix them both together and I make the perfect loose powder for my oily skin! I absolutely love it. It's so cheap and effective too! You can get a 16 ounces of corn starch for a dollar! Mineral Veil from Bare E. is mostly made out of finely milled corn starch.   

hm, i'm headed to the cayman islands next week, might just use some antipersperant on my face!  Just have to get the unscented, i dont wanna smell like an armpit LOL!

Latest posts

Back