I feel ugly without makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I feel like my makeup face is who I am, and how people see me as, this is my identity, but I know it's false.  I know the eyeliner and mascara and brows and cover up are just making me seem more beautiful than I really am and I feel ugly from the time I take off my makeup at night (9 pm) until I put it back on in the morning at 7 am.  

When I'm putting on my makeup in the morning, each step, from covering up blemishes to filling in brows to eyeliner to mascara makes me feel better and better until I'm completely done and I'm content again.  And taking off my makeup at night is almost like taking a part of me with it.  (crazy, I know)

I hate that I rely on makeup as much as I do, but I feel like an alien without makeup.   And I feel SO good with makeup and I like how people perceive me as.  I do have BDD so this is probably contributing to some problems.

Does anyone feel the same?  

I actually don't mind the way I look without makeup. I used to not like it, but now I do.

I think because it feels just good to not have anything on your face and it feels so fresh and clean (expecially after a wash). With makeup, it makes you feel better about yourself, it isn't that you are trying to be someone else or "fake" looking a certain way. Like definatly making those boring brows a little bit more bold or neat isn't a bad thng. You only should do with makeup what makes you feel comfortable and not a fake.

Also having blemishes can cause a big part of the problem of not liking yourself without makeup. You get used to those being covered that when you take it off its not so pretty! ):

I'm also pretty sure it is a self-concious thing. Everyone has it. Don't worry! And besides no one can really see you at night with your makeup off! :)

When I was younger I definitely felt the same. As I got older my skin grew more sensitive and I had less time for me after having kids I did it less. At first it was very foreign going outside without a full face of makeup. Now I find that I like to do my makeup but it is not the end of the world if I go out without a full face. I always had time to slap on some mascara and lipstick and I am ok with that.

I don't really know how to describe it, but a person's bare face and a person's face with makeup are two completely separate things, so you shouldn't really compare the two. One is what you were born with, and the other is how you present yourself. Just learn to accept who you are without makeup. I lived in a sorority, and I can tell you none of those girls looked the same without makeup--but what does that matter?

I mean, the same could be said about clothes. If an outfit makes my body look leaner and more proportioned than it is, that's the same exact thing--but people overlook that. Your body shape never looks the same in clothes as it does out of them. Business clothes give the illusion of professionalism, but you don't skip the powersuit for sweatpants at work.

Definitely!  You can look younger, older, shorter, fatter, thinner, taller or an entirely different person just with a change of clothing and makeup. 

In the end, you have to love who you are in order to allow others to love you as well.  It shows that you have self worth and worthy of being loved. 

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't really know how to describe it, but a person's bare face and a person's face with makeup are two completely separate things, so you shouldn't really compare the two. One is what you were born with, and the other is how you present yourself. Just learn to accept who you are without makeup. I lived in a sorority, and I can tell you none of those girls looked the same without makeup--but what does that matter?

I mean, the same could be said about clothes. If an outfit makes my body look leaner and more proportioned than it is, that's the same exact thing--but people overlook that. Your body shape never looks the same in clothes as it does out of them. Business clothes give the illusion of professionalism, but you don't skip the powersuit for sweatpants at work.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Definitely!  You can look younger, older, shorter, fatter, thinner, taller or an entirely different person just with a change of clothing and makeup. 

In the end, you have to love who you are in order to allow others to love you as well.  It shows that you have self worth and worthy of being loved. 
claps.gif

I am 19 and i love makeup however i kind of hardly put it on only if im going out making a makeup tutorial for you tube or get a random inspiration otherwise i do not wear any makeup of any kind, i don't think its really worth it now when i am young because lets face it makeup does affect our skin in many ways so i try avoid that now that i ave young skin maybe later when i do get a job or something i will apply makeup everryday. 

I believe that everyone should embrace their beauty, i do even though i know i have imperfections, i accept them because they are part of me   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Same sentiments. I cannot leave the house without putting on some make up. But once I am home I will remove everything straight, coz I need to let my skin breathe. But u will never catch me dead going out without make up. Guess I am too reliant on my make up XD

It makes me so sad reading all these comments here.

I guess it's hard for me to talk about this, as someone who's had really horrible cystic acne for the last decade, and has had intermittent bouts of depression for the last five, so my self esteem is in shambles all over the place. It's more like sometimes I hate what I see when I look in the mirror, so regardless of whether or not I think I'm pretty, I don't like myself. Make up makes me feel pretty, but I don't expect other people to htink I'm pretty. I guess there are problems deeper than that.

Originally Posted by mizjmakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gifYou only should do with makeup what makes you feel comfortable and not a fake.
Thanks for all the responses girls.  This above is very wise and part of my problem.  Do makeup which makes you feel comfortable but doesn't cross the line into being "someone you're not" (i.e. looking totally different).

But that's the problem, I like to wear noticeable makeup.  I like bold brows, I like defined eyes, and long lashes, and bronzed skin.  But this is what I consider to be "fake".

I'm not content (as some girls are) with just a swipe of mascara and some blush.  I like the whole package. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess it's hard for me to talk about this, as someone who's had really horrible cystic acne for the last decade, and has had intermittent bouts of depression for the last five, so my self esteem is in shambles all over the place. It's more like sometimes I hate what I see when I look in the mirror, so regardless of whether or not I think I'm pretty, I don't like myself. Make up makes me feel pretty, but I don't expect other people to htink I'm pretty. I guess there are problems deeper than that.

cystic acne sufferer here as well.  (been on prescription meds/birth control pills nearly 1/4 of my life)

I have incredibly low self esteem and life long acne (due to horrible genetics) has contributed to some of that BDD......

Quote: Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif I lived in a sorority, and I can tell you none of those girls looked the same without makeup--but what does that matter?

It definitely makes me feel better when I see a girl with a bare face versus a full face of makeup,  to see the 'transformation' of makeup and all that.  Just looking at any makeup tutorial on youtube, one can see the effect of makeup and how it can enhance.  But I know I need to work on my own individual issues instead of just looking at everyone else .

Originally Posted by CharmedImSure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for all the responses girls.  This above is very wise and part of my problem.  Do makeup which makes you feel comfortable but doesn't cross the line into being "someone you're not" (i.e. looking totally different).

But that's the problem, I like to wear noticeable makeup.  I like bold brows, I like defined eyes, and long lashes, and bronzed skin.  But this is what I consider to be "fake".

I'm not content (as some girls are) with just a swipe of mascara and some blush.  I like the whole package. 

cystic acne sufferer here as well.  (been on prescription meds/birth control pills nearly 1/4 of my life)

I have incredibly low self esteem and life long acne (due to horrible genetics) has contributed to some of that BDD......

It definitely makes me feel better when I see a girl with a bare face versus a full face of makeup,  to see the 'transformation' of makeup and all that.  Just looking at any makeup tutorial on youtube, one can see the effect of makeup and how it can enhance.
Well, i've been thinking about it quite a bit since I saw her make up tutorial a few weeks ago.

Where does it cross the line from being a being yourself with makeup to being fake? Yes, she's faking having great skin, but does that make her a fake person who's faking herself?

Your model shouldn't be: be yourself. It should be: be the best YOU you can be. And if wearing a lot of make up makes you feel like the best you, then so be it. I wish I were better at make up so I could cover up all my scars as well. I wish there were things that make up could fix, like my teeth, which I will probably need braces for eventually.

I don't think that I look ugly without make up. Because it is your thought which make you ugly and beautiful. So If you will think that you are beautiful then you will see yourself like that and if you will think like you are ugly then you will see yourself like that. One other think is that if you are habitual to see yourself with make up then you will obviously not like yourself without makeup.

Something I try to do is to go one day a week with either no makeup or minimal makeup.  It reminds me that a full face of makeup is not a requirement, and I can look nice with less on my face.  I will still use a little bit if my skin is acting up that day or whatever, but I think it is important for women to remember that makeup can be used to completely transform our looks, but it can also more importantly be used to enhance and celebrate what we have naturally.  If you don't like the way you look without makeup, think about the things that you do like about your looks.  Focus on just a couple of products that you feel do the most to highlight your positives and make you feel more confident.  The rest of the week, I do like to play and try out different bold looks, so it isn't a matter of not allowing yourself to do that.  It can be really fun and can make you feel beautiful.  It's just a matter of experiencing both sides of the coin and learning to enhance your natural gifts as well as playing with more dramatic looks.  Consider just giving it a day once in a while to minimize your products and thoughtfully choose a few to enhance what you've got.  It can be a fun challenge and it can be an exercise in both self-confidence and variety.  That's just my approach to it- I know it might not work for everyone.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, i've been thinking about it quite a bit since I saw her make up tutorial a few weeks ago.

Where does it cross the line from being a being yourself with makeup to being fake? Yes, she's faking having great skin, but does that make her a fake person who's faking herself?

Your model shouldn't be: be yourself. It should be: be the best YOU you can be. And if wearing a lot of make up makes you feel like the best you, then so be it. I wish I were better at make up so I could cover up all my scars as well. I wish there were things that make up could fix, like my teeth, which I will probably need braces for eventually.

That's a great question....In my opinion, it crosses the line into being supposedly "fake" when after you have all the makeup on, it makes you look like a completely different person.  That's just my view on it.  And I'm not talking about covering up acne marks, I think acne is temporary and in most situations can be dealt with in some way, so covering up acne doesn't make one fake.

But wearing makeup, i.e. if you have sparse brows, and you wear very dark eyebrow makeup, or wear an inch of eyeliner that totally makes your eye shape appear different, or very thick false lashes every day, in other words, after you wash off everything from your face, if you look like a completely different person.

Yes, makeup is supposed to "enhance" who you are (cover up acne, make your lips appear fuller, make your eyes appear brighter) but if it's changing who you are (on an everyday basis) I think this  equates to.....fake..

Originally Posted by Bethesda1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Something I try to do is to go one day a week with either no makeup or minimal makeup. 

That is usually my Sunday =p  I would not DARE go without makeup to work on the other hand.

Originally Posted by mybeautyshops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love make up but unfortunately  dont have enough time to wear make-up daily.
LOL it takes me longer to wake up every morning than to do my morning routine (20-30 min vs. 15-20 min -- which includes washing my face, brushing my teeth, and getting dressed). Usually I just try to slap on some eyeliner. I assume it distracts away from some of my less flatter features aka my acne scars at least.

Hi Charmed! 

The most important thing in this life is loving yourself.  If wearing makeup makes you feel good about yourself then do it and love it! 

Hugs,

Debby

Originally Posted by CharmedImSure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, makeup is supposed to "enhance" who you are (cover up acne, make your lips appear fuller, make your eyes appear brighter) but if it's changing who you are (on an everyday basis) I think this  equates to.....fake..
That's the beauty about makeup...you can use it to camoflauge, enhance or create something totally different. It's not good or bad. The feelings associated with it are what need to be explored. I know I don't have to wear makeup, but I choose to. I feel more comfortable covering up things I'd prefer people not see. I have enough self worth and love for myself to know that it highlights the physical aspects of what I love most and want others to notice, but that's not all there is to who I am as a person, a woman..

I don't think makeup is really the issue here, but your feelings towards yourself. You may be using it as a tool to build yourself up, each layer adding a sense of security, but you're still yourself under the layers. I'm not a psychologist or anything like that, but maybe you just need to do a little soul searching and self discovery. I'm sure you're a beautiful person, with or without the makeup and there is more to your character than what's on your face.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess it's hard for me to talk about this, as someone who's had really horrible cystic acne for the last decade, and has had intermittent bouts of depression for the last five, so my self esteem is in shambles all over the place. It's more like sometimes I hate what I see when I look in the mirror, so regardless of whether or not I think I'm pretty, I don't like myself. Make up makes me feel pretty, but I don't expect other people to htink I'm pretty. I guess there are problems deeper than that.
Throw those negative thoughts out of your head. I have been doing makeup for almost 30 years and the most unattractive people are always the mean and vicious ones, what is in the heart projects to the face.

Latest posts

Back