Great Extreme Moisturizer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've never had very dry skin. I've had a little eczema on my leg and arms but nothing too horrible and my Jergens Ultra Healing body lotion cleared it up. Also, I've always had really oily skin on my face. But ever since I moved to Arizona my skin is so, so dry and I need to try something new. The Jergens isn't working anymore and my eczema is pretty bad on my leg plus my legs just feel dry a lot. Plus my face is super dry and barely even oily anymore which seems weird. Now I have flakey skin especially around my eyes and there's even a dry red spot on my cheek. I use Olay facial moisturizer for sensitive skin but it's not hydrating enough anymore. What moisturizers for face and body do you recommend?

Maybe you should consult a dermatologist for a prescription based cream. In the mean time, for your body, I'd suggest Eucerin...in the tub. It's rich and very thick, super moisturizing. Maybe add a serum or facial oil and heavier moisturizer for your face. Do you use a night cream? You want something thicker that'll really absorb into skin over night. Kiehl's has great creams for face and body. Probably stay away from perfumed lotions and creams to not irritate your skin.

I've tried Eucerin and I didn't like it. It seemed too thick to sink into my skind and didn't leave my skin moisturized. I only tried the original formula, though. Is there a better formula?

I use aveno. I have extremely sensitive skin and it doesn't take much to dry my skin out, because of how dry your skin is you should buy the 24-hour moisturizer, it usually help with my eczema too.

For your face i would recommend a cream cleanser  because its not going to strip your face of their natural oils. 

Jojoba oil for your face all the way... it moisturizes your skin wonderfully, it won't irritate your skin as it's 100% natural (no chemicals and harsh ingredients) and it's really affordable. Make sure it's 100% cold pressed jojoba oil otherwise it won't work as well. As for your body, coconut oil will do the job.

I used to have very dry skin. In fact when I started my TCA peel regimen, I was very scared as I'm afraid the acid will exacerbate by problems. But once I added the maintenance regimen of Positively Flawless serum in aloe, not only have I not experienced the usual extreme drying of the skin after the acid peel, I'm not experiencing dry skin on my face anymore. Yes, those dry skin is very annoying.

Hi,

Few suggestions:

1. Consider trying some natural oils that will reduce inflammation, moisturize your skin, and boost cell regeneration.

Here is a list of some oils that might help:

Evening Primrose Oil - Contains Linoleic acid - unsaturated omega-6 fatty acid, anti-inflammatory and moisture retentive properties when applied topically on the skin

Argan Oil - High levels of α-Tocopherol (a form of Vitamin E) - acts as a peroxyl radical scavenger, preventing the propagation of free radicals in tissues. (antioxidant)

Jojoba Oil - Reach in Gadoleic Acid - acts as a humectant which will attract moisture to your skin

Meadowfoam Seed Oil - Erucic Acid - acts as a emollient providing a protective layer to the skin, holds ultra-violet protection to block rays that will act as irritants

Babassu Oil - Lauric acid - has soothing, protective, anti-microbial and emollient properties

Shea Olein Oil - Oleic acid - Derived from shea butter, makes the external layers of the epidermis softer and more pliable

2. Use a room humidifier. It will help alleviate the symptoms of eczema, itchy skin, dry nasal passages, and cracked lips due to dry air, allergies or asthma.

3. Hard water (high mineral content) causes skin dryness too. Hard water contains minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and iron, which can dry and harden on the skin. Minerals drying on the skin can clog pores and cause flaking and itching. If this is the case, avoid hot and long showers, and wash you face with store bought water.

Hope, it helps.

For face I really love organic coconut oil, you can apply overnight. During the day you can mix a small bit with your daily moisturizer during the day for extra hydration. I use Simple moisturizer during the day. For body, you can try grapeseed oil, I have nickel eczema, and made a grapeseed and sugar scrub... It worked wonders for my sensitive skin. "Pretty is what you are. Beauty is what you do with it."

After the shower while I am still wet I apply argan oil. It's the most gentle and calming  of all the oils I have used, it dont sting and it regenerates skin. After I apply La Roche-Posay Lipikar Baume all over. I wait and then I put locally ointment with Silver or shea butter.

I apply 2Xday

For the face I use the oil cleansing method with argan oil. If I need Extra moisture I apply La Roche-Posay Effaclar. In the morning I wash only with water n I use a flower or witch hazel tonic water without alcohol or preservatives. An eye cream that is not irritant is Caudalie Eyes n Lips treatment.

A lie saver is also the Micellar water of La roche posay. It cleans the skin without irritating.

Everything should be fragrance Free even if they are essential oils! Avoid using perfume! Dont wear wool or synthetic clothes! use a mild laundry detergent, i use soap flakes or soap nuts. Go to the doctor! 

Cold pressed sea buckthorn oil - it should appear very dark orange - mixed with evening primrose oil. You can start with a 50/50 mixture. If you don't mind paying a bit more, add borage oil to this. Try 40% sea buckthorn, 40% evening primrose oil & 20% borage oil in this case. Try to buy all of the oils cold pressed. One place you should be able to find them all is New Directions Aromatics, online. These oils are really high in essential fatty acids & very healing for dry skin anywhere on the body. You can research all of them yourself using Google. NDA also has a fair bit of info on their site. If you're concerned about oils causing breakouts, it's a myth. A very big one. Oily or breakout prone skin does very well with straight oils massaged in, especially overnight while the skin is naturally healing & regenerating itself. This blend of oils is also absolutely phenomenal for anti-aging purposes. I'd highly recommend avoiding any products with petrolatum, mineral oil, silicones & other such nastiness. Meaning most products found on store shelves, including in health food stores. Better to avoid any pre-manufactured products you'd normally find in the stores. They just cause more problems in the long run.

Everything should be fragrance Free even if they are essential oils!
Sorry, but I have to point out that this is incorrect/misinformed advice. ALL essential oils are going to have some type of natural 'fragrance' to them, dependant on which plant/root/resin etc they've been extracted from. Some more noticeable than others. The topic is far too much to get into here as a whole, but I guarantee you that this is a fact. But, yes, you SHOULD avoid all products with FRAGRANCE or PARFUM listed in the ingredients as they are very often synthetic, or plant derived & diluted with solvents etc, which can further irritate your skin. In addition, essential oils are NOT carrier oils. Not even close. The oils I mentioned above - sea buckthorn etc - are plant based 'carrier oils'. Not essential oils. Many essential oils can be incredibly helpful for skin conditions, but it's best to avoid them if you're not sure which skin condition you're dealing with, or if you haven't been using & researching EOs for quite some time. Using the wrong essential oil could very well inflame your already irritated skin. FYI oils like grapeseed & hazelnut, to name just a few, are astringent type carrier oils & not what you want to be using for 'extreme moisture'. Best to do some research so you can understand these differences yourself much better & make an informed choice based on fact.

I also suffer from eczema and rosacea like redness on my cheeks. Look for products approved by the National Eczema Association. I recently tried Cera-Ve moisturizing cream, it comes in a 16oz tub for like $14 at walmart or target. Cera-Ve also has a wide range of cleansers and other moisturizers to chose from.

Here is a great article from the NEA all about choosing moisturizers and other products.

/http://nationaleczema.org/eczema-products/moisturizers/

P.S. I like olay, and even neutrogena moisturizers but I save those for the warmer months and really lather up in the winter. Another great thing to do is use a thick night cream, I like the Neutrogena naturals one in a glass jar. Its sorta pricey (around $13 for a small jar), but a little goes a long way. Also look for any hydrating serums to add under your regular moisturiser, just stay far away from any perfumes or fragrances!!

For the purpose of moisturizing my dermatologist recommended me to use honey. Preferably, Manuka honey and if that is not possible then go for Propolis. Earlier, I doubt using Propolis as moisturizer but then after using it for 2 weeks, the results were fantastic. Read more about Propolis here.

For the purpose of moisturizing my dermatologist recommended me to use honey. Preferably, Manuka honey and if that is not possible then go for Propolis. Earlier, I doubt using Propolis as moisturizer but then after using it for 2 weeks, the result were fantastic. Read more about Propolis here.

I had this same problem when I moved to the desert from rainy Washington. My hands would crack and bleed from the weather! I tried everything I could, and the only thing that worked was the original L'Occitane hand cream in the tube. They make a body cream in a tub but I've never tried that so I can't comment on its effectiveness. It's expensive (approx. $10 per ounce), but my mom bought it for me cause she considered it a medical expense. If you want something cheaper, try Gold Bond. It doesn't smell good at all, but it works, so maybe try it at night?

Have you heard a HydraFacial? I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like something you might be interested in.  It put antioxidants, peptides, and hyaluronic acid into the skin. It's also non-invasive. Says it's supposed to moisturize and sounds like an extreme moisturizer  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

For a natural product I recommend extra virgin coconut oil. For brand product try Dr Jart's Ceramidin (available in liquid or cream)

start to drink plenty of water...
here is exact quantity:

3 liters/day for men

2.2 liters/day for women...

I am sure it will help enough....

Latest posts

Back