No longer a birchbox subscriber...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Besides the point system which i hope ipsy starts doing birchbox has been a major disappointment so I am fully an ipsy subscriber.

I just canceled mine. I went online to see what's in it and there's only 2 things from a disgusting LUNAR bar. One item is a perfume sample and the other is an Essie nail polish. Not even worth the $10. I've been with Birchbox 8 months and this is the first time gotten a full size item. While other people are getting beauty blenders, full size Stila liners and $30 mascaras or other full size items in every other both.

I'm debating if I want to give Ipsy (I was with them whey they were MyGlam) another try. But now I'm just subscribed to Glossybox.

Originally Posted by AngiexR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just canceled mine. I went online to see what's in it and there's only 2 things from a disgusting LUNAR bar. One item is a perfume sample and the other is an Essie nail polish. Not even worth the $10. I've been with Birchbox 8 months and this is the first time gotten a full size item. While other people are getting beauty blenders, full size Stila liners and $30 mascaras or other full size items in every other both.

I'm debating if I want to give Ipsy (I was with them whey they were MyGlam) another try. But now I'm just subscribed to Glossybox.
I don't think they've finished uploading the products this month yet...

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think they've finished uploading the products this month yet...

Mine is. It's under my box history.

Originally Posted by AngiexR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine is. It's under my box history.
Mine is too, but it only shows one product. Box pages are showing, but all the products in the boxes are not.

I'm debating cancelling too.  It hasn't really been worth the $10 spent the last few months, and to be honest, the fun is quickly going away for BB.  MyGlam has put them to shame the last few months with the boxes I've gotten.

I got my box yesterday. it had 6 items and only 3 are showing on my page. They just aren't done uploading everything yet. 

despite the fact that i'm getting essie this month (which i feel extremely lucky to get! the odds were obviously pretty low since it was only in like three boxes) i plan on cancelling my main birchbox account after i get my october box, and seeing how the boxes look for the next two months on my gift subscription i have. i don't know what the rest of my box looks like yet this month, but a LOT of the boxes look pretty pitiful sample size wise, and my past two months have been pretty disappointing too. their samples are just no longer cutting edge in my opinion.

i'll be getting my first glambag this month (which i'm VERY excited about) and i'll make that my main subscription for the next few months.

Mine goes further than this month.  I just haven't been really excited over a box in a while.  Here's my boxes since June.  There are a few good items, but for the most part, I can get the same samples from the mall or Sephora/Ulta with my purchases.  Maybe Ipsy just ruined it since they've stepped up their game the last few months? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

OCTOBER 2012 Shipping information available in your Account Settings.
Jouer Lip Enhancer
Buy

LUNA Bar
Buy

Supergoop!® City Sunscreen Serum
Buy

essie® goop picks Nail Polish Collection
Buy

SEPTEMBER 2012
kate spade new york Twirl - 3.4 fl oz
Buy

twistbandâ„¢ Hair Tie 12-pack
Buy

tili Bags Small Collection 1
Buy

WEIâ„¢ to Go Sleep Over Kit: Real Clean and Ideal Skin
Buy

21 drops Aromatherapy Blends
Buy

Birchbox and Color Club® Custom Collection
Buy

AUGUST 2012
Schick Hydro Silk Razor
Buy

Oscar Blandi Jasmine Conditioner
Buy

Noir Long-Wear Eyeliner
Buy

Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy La Fleur
Buy

DDF® Brightening Cleanser
Buy

JULY 2012
AHAVA Purifying Mud Mask
Buy

Oscar de la Renta live in love
Buy

Laura Geller Double Dipped Lipstick in Caribbean Kiss
Buy

Manna Kadar Cosmetics sheer glo shimmer lotion
Buy

Birchbox Exclusive Earbuds
Buy

JUNE 2012
Apothedermâ„¢ Stretch Mark Cream
Buy

John Varvatos Star U.S.A. 1.7 oz
Buy

Scalisi Skincare Anti-Aging Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30
Buy

theBalm® cosmetics Stainiac
Buy

CleanWell Hand Sanitizing Wipes
Buy

BAND-AID® Brand Adhesive Bandages by Cynthia Rowley Bundle
Buy

I cancelled after last month.  I was a subscriber since November and during that time, there was only one box that I got that I liked - the Gossip Girl box.  Every other month, I would hope for a good box, and I would end up with the lowest valued box of crap that they sent out (not even kidding - the GG box was the only time that I didn't receive the absolutely lowest valued box).  After repeatedly getting foil packets while seeing others get full size items month after month made me think think that my money might be better spent elsewhere since I didn't seem to be a valued customer.  After seeing the boxes this month, I'm not regretting cancelling at all.  There are a few good boxes, but I know that I wouldn't have received those boxes.  Birchbox used to be the gold standard in subscription boxes, but they seem to be slipping - fast.  I read their Facebook page this morning and it seems that they have a LOT of unhappy customers.

I am cancelling this month as well.  Logged into my box page and 4 items.  I know I am only getting 4 items as it has the 4 items pictured and listed and that is all I can leave feedback for.  I am getting a Luna bar, goop sunscreen a candle and jouer lip moisturizer or something. (Highlight for spoiler) I plan on sending my box back to Birchbox and getting my money back.  I have been a subscriber for 9 months and have been pretty disappointed from the get go with my boxes but I stay subscribed for that hope that next month will be better and it never is.

I do not shop in their store (because it's over priced and limited in selection) so the points are no longer a lure for me either.

The points system just wasn't worth it for me when I never received a single sample I was interested in purchasing. I was one of the unlucky ones that always seemed to get the lowest value boxes too.

Yup, I cancelled my Birchbox on October 4 in favor of MyGlam. It's interesting, because when I cancelled BB my October box had already shipped. The CSR I emailed told me I could send the package back refused and they would credit my account. I just saw what I would be getting if I accepted the box, and it is so boring compared to the Ipsy bag: Orofluido, tea, some stupid expensive serum, some stupid expensive cleanser, some stupid expensive muslin cloths (I have a bunch of those from homebrewing), Jouer lip enhancer, and a luna bar.  It will be returned. 

Here's the way I see it when I compare BB and Ipsy:

Birchbox

Pros:

Point system

More sophisticated branding

Cons:

Boring products - lots of small samples of ridiculously high end skin products that I will never buy.

Variance in the boxes - it makes me really bitter when I see everyone else get an exciting full sized product, like the Stila Liquid Liner or the Stila Bronzer, and I don't get it. It's just not fun.

Ipsy:

Pros:

Great products - lots of makeup, interesting brands, fun colors. I'm actually excited to get my bag, and isn't that the point of all this?

Cons:

No points system

Jesus H-Christ, I loathe being called a "Glammie" or now an "Ipster." I am not your groupie nor your pet dog, stop giving me nicknames.

Originally Posted by randerso /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jesus H-Christ, I loathe being called a "Glammie" or now an "Ipster." I am not your groupie nor your pet dog, stop giving me nicknames.
lol.gif

I canceled one of my BB subs and got Ipsy and The look Bag way better!  The Look Bag actually has two full size product and 3 deluxe samples every month.  I am totally happy with that.

Originally Posted by heatwebb000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I canceled one of my BB subs and got Ipsy and The look Bag way better!  The Look Bag actually has two full size product and 3 deluxe samples every month.  I am totally happy with that.
Same with me. I canceled BB this morning and signed up with Ipsy. So I'm with Ipsy, Glossybox and I just signed up for Beauty Army. I'm getting my first box probably next week.

I need to wait to get my box to leave feedback, then cash in my points at BB before canceling, right ? That's all I'm waiting on.

I had signed up for Ipsy about 2 weeks ago, and will probably get a second account with the extra money from canceling BB. I have a teen daughter who "borrows" my makeup, so  doubles would be really nice.

I am debating waiting for my one year cold then cashing out my points.I have 367 (which will be 377 if I ever get a feedback button for the mascara).Part of me wants to just cancel now. I think they have just grown too fast and past their capacity. It also stopped being fun around the time they started squashing spoilers. You know it was on purpose and it felt kind of petty and mean to me

Just got my birchbox highly disappointed with it. It's like something i would get at a makeup counter at Filene's. I now subscribe to Ipsy and PopSugar. 

I canceled my Birchbox sub for all the same reasons as you all, just not enough things in my boxes that appealed to me, and there was no way for me to opt out of certain items like perfume or nail polish (items I don't use). I wanted make up samples, like eyeshadow, liner, blush, gloss, I didn't get much of those, I got 1 liner and 1 gloss over a period of 5 boxes.

Latest posts

Back