moisturizing/hydrating makeup primer ?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
im a long time reader of this forum but i joined just so i could ask this question 
biggrin.gif

i was wondering if there is such a thing as a hydrating makeup primer. obviously people like to use a thicker moisturizer for winter time but my skin can only deal with oil-free & if its too thick its no bueno for my sensitive acne-prone skin. is there another hydrating product i could use as well as my normal moisturizer to keep my skin hydrated & my makeup not flakey or gross?

any tips or tricks would also be appreciated 
heart.gif

Hi !

Have you looked at the prep+prime primers from MAC ? They seem to have a hydrating primer serum, as well as a "natural radiance" primer and on their website it's said they provide hydration. This could be a solution if you can't tolerate any rich moisturizer. I use a cream during winter, but to be honest, i don't wear makeup on my working days, so when i do i can afford to wait until it has sunk in.

Another solution, if you haven't tried it already, is to use a richer moisturizer at night. I have rosacea so my skin gets dehydrated, and dry in winter, quite easily, so i have taken the habit of using a richer texture at night, just to compensate what it might not fully get in the morning.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi !

Have you looked at the prep+prime primers from MAC ? They seem to have a hydrating primer serum, as well as a "natural radiance" primer and on their website it's said they provide hydration. This could be a solution if you can't tolerate any rich moisturizer. I use a cream during winter, but to be honest, i don't wear makeup on my working days, so when i do i can afford to wait until it has sunk in.

Another solution, if you haven't tried it already, is to use a richer moisturizer at night. I have rosacea so my skin gets dehydrated, and dry in winter, quite easily, so i have taken the habit of using a richer texture at night, just to compensate what it might not fully get in the morning.
which prep+prime are u thinking of? i guess i would either look at the prep+prime skin or the prep+prime moisture infusion but im not sure if the moisture infusion would work with my sensitive skin. thanks for your help !! 
flowers.gif

I'm not sure if your have dry, sensitive skin like me, but I understand needing moisture but rich moisturizers causing break outs. I would say start with your skincare and use a hydrating toner and apply your moisturizer while your face is still damp. I have 2 hydrating primers that I use and really like. They're from Laura Mercier and Stila. The Stila one has spf in it, so I use that during the day. Also, if you use a powder and find that your skin looks dry, Makeup Forever's Mist and Fix works well with both of those primers. Pay attention to products that contain glycerin and hyaluronic acid in them.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if your have dry, sensitive skin like me, but I understand needing moisture but rich moisturizers causing break outs. I would say start with your skincare and use a hydrating toner and apply your moisturizer while your face is still damp. I have 2 hydrating primers that I use and really like. They're from Laura Mercier and Stila. The Stila one has spf in it, so I use that during the day. Also, if you use a powder and find that your skin looks dry, Makeup Forever's Mist and Fix works well with both of those primers. Pay attention to products that contain glycerin and hyaluronic acid in them.
thank u for that info! im going to look into the hydrating laura primer, & definitely will try to look at that mist & fix. i use witch hazel toner & thats the only one im truly comfortable with (or my skin is lol) so im gonna stick with my skincare routine but thank u

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thank u for that info! im going to look into the hydrating laura primer, & definitely will try to look at that mist & fix. i use witch hazel toner & thats the only one im truly comfortable with (or my skin is lol) so im gonna stick with my skincare routine but thank u

Back