Birchbox Criticisms

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, after my October experience and reading some of everyone else's responses. I thought it may be good to have a specific thread devoted to how Birchbox has disappointed and upset us. 

So, I'll start

1) Non-deluxe samples---i.e. foil samples with barely enough product for one use (and some not even that)

2) Birchbox responding to complaints by framing it as our fault/misunderstanding rather than taking any responsibility

Example of BB's customer service response

"Thanks so much for being in touch and I'm so sorry to hear you were disappointed with your Birchbox delivery. I'm so sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your Per-fekt sample. We do understand that this is a one time sample, but we were just so excited about the product itself! We thought it would be a great addition from one of our favorite brands, Per-fekt, and we wanted our subscribers to get a chance to try it."----Um, try it was given to us for free and we have taken on so many new subscribers we need to start decreasing quality to increase revenue

"With Birchbox you are also paying for a service. The value of your membership is that you don't have to navigate through the aisles, find the products you want to sample, and do all this while feeling pressured to purchase a full-size product. For the customers who do have a makeup counter nearby, we are thrilled to provide you with access to new and exciting brands that you won't find there." ----WHAT? Seriously, this is the first time I have heard or read Birchbox is a "convenience service" business. I mean your website doesn't say that, but it does say, "Every month, you'll receive a box filled with beauty, grooming, and lifestyle samples from both up-and-coming and well known brands. Each delivery will include a mix of categories, as well as lifestyle items. Samples are generously sized, with enough product to allow you to figure out if they're right for you."

Not to beat a dead horse or be completely unrealistic (I don't expect full-sized products every or even any month, although it's a nice surprise). But I do feel like Birchbox has been steadily declining since I joined 8 months ago

EXACTLY the reason why I no longer have a birchbox acct... customer service started to go downhill. i called when i had a problem and no one picked up EVEN when it was their hours. emails would usually take a day, now it takes 3-4... it's just a no.. ill stick with glossybox and myglam.

Birchbox Customer Service on what they provide their subscribers:

"Thank you for rephrasing your question - I'm so sorry for the trouble this has caused. First and foremost, Birchbox is a discovery platform. We believe that as consumers, we benefit from getting to try out products before committing to their purchase. Our "try before you buy" motto is reflected with the monthly shipment, as we curate samples that allow you to discover and try new products.

Additionally, our service acts as your very own personal beauty editor--as mentioned in my previous email--helping you suss through the world of products to help you find something valuable, tried and true. Of course we value your opinion and will always work to ensure that the service is a constant delight to receive. We believe there is delight in surprise and I understand that this simply hasn't been the case with what you've received over the past few months."

Seems very vague

Oct 15 02:04 pm (EDT):

I would like to give you a link to a blog solely for birchbox you will see your customers aren't happy and the excuses instead of fixing the issue are only making more and more of us leave. On top of that when I went to cancel I got this message:

You're leaving us? Oh no! We're bummed that you are thinking about canceling. We'd love to keep you as a subscriber. If we can help in any way — troubleshoot, reship, or write a love haiku — please let us know. You can always call us at 877-487-7272 or email us at[email protected]. We will do anything we can to ensure your satisfaction.

If your decision is final, we're sad but we understand. Please fill out this short survey to be automatically cancelled. If you ever want to resubscribe, you will need to purchase a new subscription.

P.S. To stop receiving all Birchbox communications, please click on the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of the emails.

So That is what I was trying to do and you have done nothing to try and keep my business.

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/128988/birchbox-october-2012/

Anastasia, Oct 15 09:47 am (EDT):

Hi Heather,

Thanks for being back in touch. I'm so sorry you felt this was misleading.

We definitely understand that sample impression is important and we always strive to give you an appropriate amount of product. We know that this is the only way to make a valid decision as to whether it's a product you would purchase in full-size in the future. I know your concern completely, and I will be sure to pass this along to our Beauty Partnership Team so that they are aware of how this sample was received.

If you feel this service is not for you, you cam cancel at any time. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

xo

Anastasia

Birchbox Operations Associate

230 Park Avenue S. 

New York, NY 10003

877-487-7272

Oct 14 11:21 pm (EDT):

As fas as I am concerned this is false advertising we do not get deluxe Beauty samples what I got is foil packets

Oct 13 02:29 pm (EDT):

Thank you for your reply. The photos on your site show deluxe samples in those boxes and what we get in no way equals those photos. I feel like I was mislead about the quality and size of the samples. Nowhere are pictures of foil packets that are free at sephora shown or free perfume samples. These are not deluxe samples. Food and plastic bags are not beauty samples. 

At this point unless something can done I will be canceling my sub. When I went to do so online it said to give u a chance to make it right including reshipping which is why I requested box 25. Please let me know what BB is willing to do for another chance. 

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Anastasia, Oct 13 01:07 pm (EDT):

Hi Heather,

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear you were unhappy with the contents of your box this month.

While we always want everyone's Birchbox to be equal, it is hard for our subscribers to always perceive them as equal when everyone receives different items. We want to cater to everyone's Beauty Profile, while taking into consideration their preferences and sample history with us. This can cause quite a bit of differences in one Birchbox to another comparatively every month.

An item that you may have coveted from someone else's box may very well be yours next month (and vice versa). We hope you understand that we try to make this as fair, and as equal as possible every single month.

Please note that the product food item you received was your monthly extra! It fit perfectly with our GOOP theme this month and we thought it would be a nice addition to your beauty samples. Extras are in addition to the 4-5 samples you are promised each month and are by no means meant to replace them!

You also definitely should have gotten a 3 month 20% off code! If you would like to take advantage of this code on an order please give us a all at 877-487-7272 and we will place the order over the phone with the discount.

The only customers that receive welcome boxes are ones that were given a subscription as a gift, not our re-billable subscribers.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

xo

Anastasia

Birchbox Operations Associate

230 Park Avenue S. 

To this I sent

Honestly I just can't believe they are acting like this! They are losing customers everyday and blame us for there boxes being crappy.  I finally quit responding to the emails bc I didn't think it was doing anything.  

My tracking info still isn't working, and no package so far.  It was shipped about a week ago.

Originally Posted by BridgetPS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My tracking info still isn't working, and no package so far.  It was shipped about a week ago.
I had the exact same problem! They finally email me today with this: Thanks for getting in touch with us! It looks like for some reason UPS: Mail Innovations never loaded the tracking to the website.

Originally Posted by motherofall6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i canceled my BB now i have only 1!!! myglam thats it and im very happy with that
I am very close to canceling as well. I received the goop box this month and instead one of the 6 "Fall Pick" essie colors (listed on website and the attached card), I received a nasty color from essie's Resort 2011 collection! I need not subscribe to birchbox to get old products from more than a year ago. After asking me to send them photos proving the old color, they said they meant to send the old color. This sounds suspicious as the website clearly lists the 6 colors that they consider "Fall Pick" and the color I received was not one of them. If they do not remedy this by the end of this week, I am definitely canceling. 

lilneko69, Oct 16 09:09 pm (EDT):

In that case, why was "Fair Game" not one of the 6 colors that is listed on the website as a "Fall Pick" color? 

Paulina, Oct 16 09:08 pm (EDT):

Hi Jessie,

Thank you so much for getting back to be so quickly! This is great and I will be sure to take it up with my team immediately. In the past half hour, I was in touch with the the Partnership Team and they let me know that Essie Fall Picks are in fact shades from the brand's classic collection that are also favorites of Goop (hence why they were included!) It looks like it's a-okay! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention and I'm so sorry I wasn't ready with the information immediately! If there is anything else I can do to assist please let me know! I do hope that you are still able to enjoy the polish shade!

Very best,

Paulina

Birchbox | Operations Associate

Still no box and no answer to my email!  I'm so glad I cancelled, but I want the box I paid for!

I just received an order confirmation from BB....I didn't order anything.  However, I have still not received my box from this month.  I emailed them about it several days ago, and then got this email with this info:

ITEM:  Women's 1 month comp

Shipping November 10

So what does this mean???? Am I not getting my October BB????

Originally Posted by BridgetPS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just received an order confirmation from BB....I didn't order anything.  However, I have still not received my box from this month.  I emailed them about it several days ago, and then got this email with this info:

ITEM:  Women's 1 month comp

Shipping November 10

So what does this mean???? Am I not getting my October BB????
Your October BB is probably coming, but you will get November's BB for free.

Does anyone know how they handle damaged products in your Birchbox? My DDF Brightening Cleanser had leaked EVERYWHERE! It didn't ruin any of the other products, but I lost a lot of the cleanser :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  That was the item I was most excited about and I feel jipped.

Originally Posted by Bambam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone know how they handle damaged products in your Birchbox? My DDF Brightening Cleanser had leaked EVERYWHERE! It didn't ruin any of the other products, but I lost a lot of the cleanser :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  That was the item I was most excited about and I feel jipped.
They either replace the item or offer compensatory points.

Hey everyone -- So I already bumped the october BB thread, but this is particularly relevant to that, so I thought I'd give you a head's up.

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/128988/birchbox-october-2012/3420#post_1954457

I'm going to talk to BB on Monday (you can read the email I wrote them on that thread too. Other than what I wrote, is there anything else anyone wants me to say? (Polite, non-deragatory or flamey comments please XD)

I'm still waiting to receive my Oct box. I've sent TWO polite emails asking about the status of my box and have received NO RESPONSE from customer service.

Originally Posted by kat46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still waiting to receive my Oct box. I've sent TWO polite emails asking about the status of my box and have received NO RESPONSE from customer service.
I just received mine yesterday so don't give up.  I would be annoyed too though!!

Originally Posted by kat46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had tweeted them on twitter and they asked for my email and answered right away. Try reaching them through their social networks

Originally Posted by diana16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had tweeted them on twitter and they asked for my email and answered right away. Try reaching them through their social networks
Will do if it doesn't arrive on Monday, thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back