Does anyone here work in cosmetic retail?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Does any one here work in retail? I am thinking of appling for a job in cosmetic retail, what sort of experience does one need to work within the cosmetic retail business? Would i need to have a background in makeup?

Thanking you in advance for your replies xo

I know I touched base with you in the other thread, but I'll throw my 2c here.

It REALLY depends on the company. 

The one I work for, it doesn't matter if you have 10+ years of experience because if you're a diva, or a know-it-all, they won't hire you. I was fresh out of makeup school when I was hired, and I was in an interview with ten other people. A LOT of them had prior experience in cosmetics. The only two of us that got hired were myself (I worked in an office) and another girl who previously worked in a book store.

They obviously prefer people skills and customer service skills, as the artistry they can train and to be honest, many companies want you to do things -their- way. So they'll train you.

I am sure, however, this is not the case for all organizations. Some truly want to know what you can do, but since retail is mostly about selling, with a side-order of artistry, I expect they will be looking for customer service or sales related experience.

Jessa

Originally Posted by Jessybel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know I touched base with you in the other thread, but I'll throw my 2c here.

It REALLY depends on the company. 

The one I work for, it doesn't matter if you have 10+ years of experience because if you're a diva, or a know-it-all, they won't hire you. I was fresh out of makeup school when I was hired, and I was in an interview with ten other people. A LOT of them had prior experience in cosmetics. The only two of us that got hired were myself (I worked in an office) and another girl who previously worked in a book store.

They obviously prefer people skills and customer service skills, as the artistry they can train and to be honest, many companies want you to do things -their- way. So they'll train you.

I am sure, however, this is not the case for all organizations. Some truly want to know what you can do, but since retail is mostly about selling, with a side-order of artistry, I expect they will be looking for customer service or sales related experience.

Jessa
Do you think a company like, say, MAC would expect someone to have just come out of makeup school, like you did? Or would they give a chance to someone who does know a lot about makeup and can show off some of the work they've done, plus a knowledge of customer service/sales skills?

Originally Posted by Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you think a company like, say, MAC would expect someone to have just come out of makeup school, like you did? Or would they give a chance to someone who does know a lot about makeup and can show off some of the work they've done, plus a knowledge of customer service/sales skills?
To reiterate what Jessybel posted, most make-up brands will hire you if you have a strong or proven sales background with a side-order of artistry thrown in. Companies like this, (Estee Lauder Group for example) want you to do make-up "their" way. So too much make-up experience is actually a hinderance than an asset if you want to work in cosmetic retail.

Latest posts

Back