• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Ship for less!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the other day CAPSLOCK and I were talking about shipping and how expensive it can be to mail items. Most people take their boxes and bags to mail at the post office because it's cheaper than sending it via Fed Ex or UPS. She told me that Paypal is actually cheaper to ship! I used it yesterday to mail a package to mirandamanda and had I shipped that via USPS it would have been more than $3 and possibly about $5.15 had I used priority mail. Instead I used Paypal's shipping and paid less than $2 for first class mail but with tracking!

Now the catches to this method.

1. You have to have a Paypal account.
  2. The account might have to be a business account (I don't know it's available in personal).
  3. You have to have a printer to print the labels.
  4. You have to know the exact weight of the package you're mailing.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_bulk-ship

I knew I could ship from PayPal but I did not know it cost less. Thanks for the info. 

For what I shipped it was less. At the post office it was going to be nearly $4 with delivery confirmation or $5.15 if I did Priority for the tracking. First class with tracking through Paypal it ended up being $1.64 USD. UPS... crooks... they wanted almost $8 for a bag that weighs less than 3 oz. While first class is slower than priority I was still able to get a tracking #. I'm going to have to invest in a scale if I do more trades. I was looking into getting a stamps.com account but the fees associated with it just wasn't worth it since I don't do trades more often.

I can't really consider UPS crooks--free-market economy, after all. There are other ways of shipping than via UPS, so it's not as if they are a monopoly, and they can/do charge what the market will bear. Then again, I tend to use USPS to ship almost everything, because I WANT them not to go under, which is the direction they are definitely headed. If that happens, I have a funny feeling that ALL shippers are going to bump their rates like crazy.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So the other day CAPSLOCK and I were talking about shipping and how expensive it can be to mail items. Most people take their boxes and bags to mail at the post office because it's cheaper than sending it via Fed Ex or UPS. She told me that Paypal is actually cheaper to ship! I used it yesterday to mail a package to mirandamanda and had I shipped that via USPS it would have been more than $3 and possibly about $5.15 had I used priority mail. Instead I used Paypal's shipping and paid less than $2 for first class mail but with tracking!

Now the catches to this method.

1. You have to have a Paypal account.
  2. The account might have to be a business account (I don't know it's available in personal).
  3. You have to have a printer to print the labels.
  4. You have to know the exact weight of the package you're mailing.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_bulk-ship
Yes, you can have a personal paypal account.  I was helping CAPSLOCK with a trade using paypal ship.  This is usually the only way I ship.  I ship not only trade and sales but regular packages to friends and family this way too.  You don't have to have a balance in your paypal account either.  Whatever you have attached to your account (bank or cc), it will take payment out that way.  But if you have a money/ a balance in your paypal account, paypal will take that out first.  There's no option to change that so just be careful if you wanted to use that money on something other than shipping.  Another thing, you have the option to ship USPS or UPS, but if you ship UPS, you will have to set up a UPS account and I don't know if your setting up  a business account with them.  I haven't gone through with the steps for that.  Below are the instructions I sent CAPSLOCK (edited personal trade info).

If you have a paypal account, you can just type    www . paypal . com/shipnow    [remove spaces when typing this in...cannot get to the page through a link, not sure why] and enter your login info and proceed.  The next page should be what carrier you want to use (USPS or UPS) and choose USPS.  Then in the next page you will enter shipping info and shipping way...you will need to weigh your package (you need a scale that weighs in ozs and lbs for this)...and proceed to the next page for payment confirmation.  Next, when you are on the confirmation pay page you will see how much you owe.  You do need a printer hooked up to proceed.  If you are okay with everything and have paypal set up with funds (or cc attached) then hit pay and you will get a popup window asking you to review the mailing label you are going to print.  Go ahead and print but don't confirm the printed label until you've printed the label out and looked it over.  You can print on plain ol' computer paper.  If you're label printed out fine, then hit okay (forgot what's on the button) and you're done with paypal.  With the mailing label you've printed, cut along the lines and affix the label with tape (packaging tape) making sure not to tape over the bar code.  USPS need to scan the bar code and they can't scan it, I guess. if it is taped over.  Then just put the package in your mail box or go the the PO and drop it in the package drop box/shoot and that's all there is to it.  You don't need to wait in line or talk to your carrier.  It's really easy and the best part is the delivery confirmation is only $0.19 and is always added.  You can add insurance if you need that for any package your sending too.  This is how I ship most of my smaller packages and bubble envelopes.  And you can use this anytime without going through ebay ...just not for refunds/disputes on -outside of ebay- sales.  Very convenient.

Oh, an if your package (small box or bubble mailer) is under 13oz, it is advised to ship First Class.  Alot cheaper and very fast shipping.  Must have a scale though and always round up your ozs -example, 2.3oz you would enter 3oz.  USPS will make the receiver pay the extra postage to get their package, fyi.

And one more thing, I use the paypal shipnow for US mail.  Sending international, I think you have to go to the PO.; I take my international packages to the PO because you have to fill out a form (forgot what it's called).

Another trader on here clued me into using PayPal for my shipping, too. I love it! But I get Delivery Confirmation free; I wonder why it is charging the trader above $0.19? My account is a personal account, not business, but I do go through the Merchant Services, Multi-shipping tool, Create Order. I wonder if that makes a difference.

I don't have a scale at home, so I weigh my packages at work, and I put them in the outgoing mail bin at work so I don't even have to drop them off, they get picked up.

I only use recycled packaging myself (from subs and trades), but if you want to buy new supplies, dollar stores are fab for this.

Another trader has a great way to pack nail polishes to protect them: Regular size nail polishes in the really big prescription bottles (fits two), and minis in the regular size prescription bottles. The bottles are lightweight, but great for protecting the polish. (I am paranoid, so I still wrap tissue paper or a thin layer of bubble wrap around the polish before putting in the bottle.) Thinking outside of the box in ways like this helps to save money, too, because you are re-purposing what you already have on hand.

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another trader has a great way to pack nail polishes to protect them: Regular size nail polishes in the really big prescription bottles (fits two), and minis in the regular size prescription bottles. The bottles are lightweight, but great for protecting the polish. (I am paranoid, so I still wrap tissue paper or a thin layer of bubble wrap around the polish before putting in the bottle.) Thinking outside of the box in ways like this helps to save money, too, because you are re-purposing what you already have on hand.
OMG That is a FANTASTIC tip!

Originally Posted by Sept Mbabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif And one more thing, I use the paypal shipnow for US mail.  Sending international, I think you have to go to the PO.; I take my international packages to the PO because you have to fill out a form (forgot what it's called).
A customs form.

Originally Posted by Sept Mbabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And one more thing, I use the paypal shipnow for US mail.  Sending international, I think you have to go to the PO.; I take my international packages to the PO because you have to fill out a form (forgot what it's called).
I love using Paypal for shipping! I just shipped a package to Canada yesterday and I used the USPS website. It does all the customs stuff for you. The downside is you still have to take it to the counter in the post office. You can't just drop it in the bin. 

Is there a cheapie (& reliable/accurate) scale available online somewhere? I can't recall if I've seen complimentary Or very inexpensive smaller scales for shipping online?

I should have been using this service a WAY long time ago. 

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Take a look at food scales from Bed Bath & Beyond. Some are designed to do postal weights as well (look for ones that specifically state that) and most are around $20 to $40 but with a 20% off coupon it's less.

Here's one for $25 and after coupon it's only $20. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=205189
I did go shopping for my scale at Bed Bath & Beyond based on your recommendation. I ended up getting the Biggest Loser one, and I had a $5.00 off coupon, so I paid around $15. It's been working out great for my trades.

That's great! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wish I could remember who turned me to Paypal to ship because it been such a fantastic way to ship. How has it been working out for others?

I've been using the PayPal (not the merchant page though...) USPS interface for a while, and it's saved me so much time and money. My post office always has a huge line and no automate teller thingy. 

Though, I've been trying to figure out how to buy regional rate flat rate priority mail postage on it. So...not the regular flat rate priority mail boxes, but the regional rate ones...

The regional rate boxes might end up being cheaper if your priority mail destination is relatively close....it's the same box type that I got my Urban Decay holiday shipment in....they shipped from LA, and I'm in the Bay Area so that's a zone 1 regional rate. 

I can order the (free) boxes from USPS, and see the rates on the USPS general site, but can't seem to buy the postage online. Thoughts?

oh yeah....is it just me, or did the flat rate boxes get smaller in size these past couple of months? 

It's not you, the boxes are smaller. I have a few from a couple of years ago and it's just slightly bigger but not by much.

Another trader on here clued me into using PayPal for my shipping, too. I love it! But I get Delivery Confirmation free; I wonder why it is charging the trader above $0.19? My account is a personal account, not business, but I do go through the Merchant Services, Multi-shipping tool, Create Order. I wonder if that makes a difference.

I don't have a scale at home, so I weigh my packages at work, and I put them in the outgoing mail bin at work so I don't even have to drop them off, they get picked up.

I only use recycled packaging myself (from subs and trades), but if you want to buy new supplies, dollar stores are fab for this.

Tracking now costs me 20 cents. Still better than the alternative.

Quote: Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tracking now costs me 20 cents. Still better than the alternative.

I have no idea why, but tracking was back to free the last time I used it.

Wow, I'm so glad I wandered over here tonight, I have some packages to ship and have wondered how the pay pal shipping worked. I've heard before that it was cheap! I mailed out a little bracelet wt 1 ounce on the USPS receipt yesterday. One state over, it cost me $2.97 to mail it. Next mailing, I use paypal!  Even if I have to go to the post office to use the scale in the lobby it's a great deal. THANKS!!

Latest posts

Back