Lipstick Color Adjusters

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a product that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but it seems to be like two years out of date and OOS! It's the "Sephora Color Adjuster Lipstick in Matte Gray shade 926". Basically, you wear it under your lipstick to transform the color. I found swatches on someone's blog:

(pic #1 is the lipstick adjuster alone, pics #2 and 4 are different lipstics, and pics #3 and 5 are combined with the adjuster)

I want to try matte lips with subtle color, and I think this would be perfect for fall. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything like this anywhere--I can't even find gray lipsticks, period. let alone a color adjusting lipstick like this :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Any suggestions? this product must be super old, since I can't even find it on ebay..

ohh thanks! the video/review was really helpful :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. it seems like the #15 is shimmery, do you happen to know if they have a darker, matte grey in the collection? still, it looks great over the tarte lipsurgence, I'll definitely have to pick one up now lol

Originally Posted by lechatonrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just picked one up tonight actually! Rimmel has an adjuster in the kate moss line. It's the Lasting Finish Collection #15.

Ooh, this is a great idea.  I'm going to be on the lookout for some color adjusters too, I have so many lipsticks that would be perfect if they were just a little darker, lighter, more matte, shimmery, less blue, more blue, etc, etc.  I have seen these around too, I want to say in a makeup artist's palette?  

Okay, you inspired me to do a search and I think I found exactly what you're looking for at a wholesale outlet website.  This is what it says - 

Sephora Satin Lipstick Adjuster 912 Sealed Discontinued**Low/Limited stock quantity item**SEPHORA Rouge a Levres Lip Stick Color 912 SATINSephora Satin Lipstick, Smooth and creamy, rich lip colorCreate your own lipstick color or modify your existing colors with these fun adjusters from Sephora! Will discount shipping on more than one of these purchased.....discount will be applied after purchase has been complete. Black LIPSTICK ADJUSTER: Will make the lipstick shade darkenerWhite LIPSTICK ADJUSTER: Will make the lipstick shade lighterGreen LIPSTICK ADJUSTER: This adjuster offsets the red in a lipstick and slightly darkens it, depending on the darkness or lightness of the shade of green, the overall tones in a green. The corrected lipstick tends toward hot pink, fuchsia, magenta, raspberry.Yellow/Orange LIPSTICK ADJUSTER will change lipstick that is too blue/purple into a rust/brick shadeBlue / Purple LIPSTICK ADJUSTER: Will have a muting effect with yellow tones and turn a "too yellow"& "too orange" lipstick into a plum/brown colorNew and Sealed

Me again - here is the link to the website - I'm pretty sure it's okay to post since I have no horse in this race other than wanting to help a fellow MuTalker and possibly getting these babies myself, lol.

http://wholesaleoutletwarehouse.ecrater.com/p/12556564/sephora-satin-lipstick-color-adjuster-912

Lipstick seems to have a decent shelf life so even though these are discontinued, I personally wouldn't be worried about using them myself, especially as they are being marketed and sold as such and sold at a discounted price.  I know I have lipsticks in my collection that are older than these.  This could really make some of my almost perfect lipsticks perfect for me.  It looks like they are around $3.99 - $4.50 each.  

I hope this helps!  Let us know if you end up getting them and I'll do likewise.  I would get them right away but my sample closet is getting kind of out of control and I have some giving away to do before I should make any more purchases . . . 

Ah ha!  I found the exact shade you were looking for.  I haven't ordered from this site before, so I can't vouch for it, but it looks pretty good.  Here's the link - hope this works for you!

It's $3.99 plus $2.50 for shipping and handling and only has sales tax if you live in Florida.

http://wholesaleoutletwarehouse.ecrater.com/p/12556905/sephora-matt-lipstick-color-adjuster-926

Sephora Matt Lipstick Adjuster 926 Sealed DiscontinuedSEPHORA Rouge a Levres Lip Stick Color 926 MATTSephora Satin Lipstick, Smooth and creamy, rich lip color

New and Sealed

Haven't any of you had any art background changing colors is sooooooo simple, go and but a color wheel from the art store and you will learn all about, tint tone, and shade.

Originally Posted by studiomakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haven't any of you had any art background changing colors is sooooooo simple, go and but a color wheel from the art store and you will learn all about, tint tone, and shade.
No, art isn't a subject that I had in school. It is easy to find out information about how color theory, but to those of us who haven't had training, it can still be a newish concept.

This is a serious question: Why would I need a special lip stick/color to just change the color of other lipsticks? Why not just mix two or more shades I already have?

Originally Posted by KimberlyP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a serious question: Why would I need a special lip stick/color to just change the color of other lipsticks? Why not just mix two or more shades I already have?
I'd have to guess these are sheer, so the other color could show through.  They make eye shadows that do this, too.  For instance, theBalm has their "overshadows" that put a bit of sheer shimmer over top.  I have them in honey and champagne, and they're nice.

I've recently been getting some of the beauty sub boxes, and they seem very keen on sending everyone hot pink llips all the time.  I'd LOVE an adjuster that could tone 'em down a bit!  And I'd get a lot of use out of it, too!

Somehow I quoted myself in a second post...  Ummmm - sorry!  Edit to get rid of that!

I posted some links to color theory as it applies to makeup in another thread, for anyone to whom this is new info.

Originally Posted by sweetiegirlll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah ha!  I found the exact shade you were looking for.  I haven't ordered from this site before, so I can't vouch for it, but it looks pretty good.  Here's the link - hope this works for you!
thanks soo much! lol I'm a littttlle sketched out by the site, but they have paypal/google wallet so I think I'll go for it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> yayy

Originally Posted by studiomakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks, but I'm not looking for the opposite of a color to tone it down, I'm just looking for something that will make any lipstick more matte and less vibrant :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Originally Posted by KimberlyP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

in order to have a shade mixed from two colors you have, you'd need to already own the colors that would make that shade--which I don't. I'm just basically looking for a matte, dark gray lipstick, to mix with other shades; what I want is less vibrant, darker, matte versions of the lipsticks I already own. I'm not looking to mix colors, so much as make them less vibrantly colorful, which you can't really do with two colorful lipsticks.

MAC and OCC sell these tubes of lip paint in different colors, which you mix with your own lipsticks. Like, they have a white one for making any lipstick lighter and more pastel-like. Conversely, they have a black one that makes lipsticks much darker. It's not really so much mixing colors, as it is altering one lipstick :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

haha I'm in the same boat--I keep getting these really bright, bold red lipsticks and lip glosses, and it's just not my thing. I mean, they're great lipsticks--suuper pigmented, long-lasting, etc. if the color was a just a tad toned down, I would totally wear them.

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've recently been getting some of the beauty sub boxes, and they seem very keen on sending everyone hot pink llips all the time.  I'd LOVE an adjuster that could tone 'em down a bit!  And I'd get a lot of use out of it, too!

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ohh thanks! the video/review was really helpful :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. it seems like the #15 is shimmery, do you happen to know if they have a darker, matte grey in the collection? still, it looks great over the tarte lipsurgence, I'll definitely have to pick one up now lol
I'm sorry, I don't think they do. It looks like you've found what you're looking for though. I hope it's everything you hoped for!

to be honest I am not to impressed with the sample pictures.. you get get the same if not better effect using lip liners + a light coat of lipstick.. 

I'm assuming the pigmentation is buildable; the sample pics are exactly what I wanted, so I'm content. I know I could get the same effect with a lip liner or regular lipstick--the type of product is irrelevant, since it's more an issue of color. :/ I just can't find any matte, dark gray lip products. I want to essentially mute most of the color in lipsticks, to get a dark, ashy subtle lip for fall :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by smashinbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

to be honest I am not to impressed with the sample pictures.. you get get the same if not better effect using lip liners + a light coat of lipstick.. 

Funny!  I have never heard of such a thing.  I have about 5 lip liners that I can wear with just about any color.  I use these to adjust the lip colors. 

Estee Lauder came out with at least 4 color adjusters a couple months ago. out of my price range lol but maybe it's exactly what you're looking for. Best wishes!

Latest posts

Back