• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Black Friday 2012!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some folks shop throughout the year for gifts and some wait til days like this one. I have endured three years of Black Friday shopping and don't plan on missing this one, either. I know it gets super crazy, but there really are fantastic deals to be found and a LOT of money to be saved. I've bought everything from clothes to computers to DVDs to household items and saved anywhere from 50%-90%+ off regular retail, which makes it worth it to me. Some tips... 1. Divide and conquer - I've never gone by myself. I usually go with a group of friends and family and we plan out locations. Because stores open at various times, it's nice to have extra hands on deck to snag your hot ticket items before they go. 2. Plan, plan, PLAN - Don't go to browse; it's too crazy and hectic! Figure out your most coveted or important items on your list and get them marked off first. Since stores are opening at different times, prioritize and maybe hit the stores with your largest deals or most sale items. Or go geographically..whichever works best for you. 3. Don't forget your ads - You can double check door busters and use coupons that typically come in Black Friday ads. You can also use them to price match. Last year, I wasn't able to find certain DVDs and video games for my two brothers at one store, but managed to find them elsewhere for a higher price. Whipping out a competing store ad and showing an associate, I was able to snag every item and get the same discount, which saved me over $100 on 2 video games and a few boxed DVD sets! 4. Ask a store associate - Or get a store map. For door buaters and super sale items, I find an associate and have them help. I'm not doing all the leg work and if the item's out of stock already, they can recommend something similar or comparable. 5. Shop online - Cyber Monday, anyone? Amazon and other retailers have great discounts, sales and coupon codes to be used for those who want to shop from home. 6. Start early, very early - Veteran's Day is just before and I managed to get some great deals, a few better than what stores and Black Friday offered. So start scanning ads to see what's available and what sales are happening. That's what I have, off the top of my head. I know it's early, but I'm one of those loons who start thinking and prepping ahead for this time of year lol. Saving that amount of money is incentive enough and I get a sick little thrill from it... Anyone else crazy/brave enough to join the mad dash this year?

I tried Black Friday once. I went to Fry's Electronics the night before at like 8pm. There was a line all the way around the store into the parking lot. There was no way in hell I was going to wait that long for an unlikely chance I'd get $100 off a TV.

I ended up getting a better deal on a bigger TV by just going to Best Buy randomly one day. (50" flat screen with 2 year warranty for $500)

In terms of buying tvs, I learned that Black Friday and Super Bowl week are the best times to make purchases, usually. Sometimes, you'll find sweet deals, but typically a rock bottom deal will be around those two times. I got my 50" TV Super Bowl week and the deal was better than Black Friday! Warranty and all...damn thing barely fit in my trunk!

My sis and I stood in line at target for 6 hours... Yes six whole hours! Last year and were able to get a 46 " TV for 350! this year the main item I need is a new living room set since I am set in the electronics area (bought myself a laptop and an xbox Kinect for Christmas last year). So I guess I will be looking at stores like Ashley, etc. Im also buying myself some makeup and clothes probably but nothing too important or that will need planning for.

where do you guys usually go on black friday? my family's never really been into it, so I never experienced a proper black friday--just some lazy weekend shopping and cyber monday deals lol. 

My friend's mom scored a Kuerig last year at Kohl's and got a good deal, along with cash back for a future purchase..but there was a minimum, I think. DId yours come with a warranty or anything? Maybe you can have it replaced. Otherwise, I'm sure there'll be good deals.

I don't really need to purchase anything for myself, but will take my two teen brothers with me. Last year, we bought some nice pearl and diamond earrings for the oldest teen's gf...going on two + years and they're seniors in HS. So I'll be looking again for her...lol. I give them around $200 to go clothes shopping and they have learned the value of a dollar and a great sale lol. The two guys are into it as much as I am! They still end up with a few gifts under the tree at Christmas, but they're old enough to make their own decisions and possibly hate what gifts are purchased...so I let them decide. Although, my taste is pretty spot on when it comes to shopping for them.. My big surprise will be some guys' jewelry for them...something monogrammed! 

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh and I need.a new coffeemaker, my keurig completely broke after 2 years.
Ooh, where can I get a new Keurig on black friday?

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

where do you guys usually go on black friday? my family's never really been into it, so I never experienced a proper black friday--just some lazy weekend shopping and cyber monday deals lol. 
Don't get me started...I go to everywhere from WalMart to Target....any big box stores...to the mall. A few years ago, I stopped at Old Navy for the midnight opening after getting off work at 11pm. Was in and out of the store in just over an hour...most of the time spent in line, no less. Went home, took a shower and hour nap and got up to start by 330am...finished around 7am. Last year, started at 10 pm..went to Best Buy for the midnight opening..took a 2 hr break and headed to the mall...Didn't finish til around 8 am. But I and my two brothers spent $550 total...maybe closer to $500 and saved close to $800-$1000.

It just depends on what u want to buy.. Some stores with good deals are Walmart, target, best buy, Macys.. And on and on. Its good to look thru the ads and then decide where u wanna go :)

My friend's mom scored a Kuerig last year at Kohl's and got a good deal, along with cash back for a future purchase..but there was a minimum, I think. DId yours come with a warranty or anything? Maybe you can have it replaced. Otherwise, I'm sure there'll be good deals. I don't really need to purchase anything for myself, but will take my two teen brothers with me. Last year, we bought some nice pearl and diamond earrings for the oldest teen's gf...going on two + years and they're seniors in HS. So I'll be looking again for her...lol. I give them around $200 to go clothes shopping and they have learned the value of a dollar and a great sale lol. The two guys are into it as much as I am! They still end up with a few gifts under the tree at Christmas, but they're old enough to make their own decisions and possibly hate what gifts are purchased...so I let them decide. Although, my taste is pretty spot on when it comes to shopping for them.. My big surprise will be some guys' jewelry for them...something monogrammed! 
Got it on qvc, now that I think about it, it was actually Dec 2009. Dont think its under warranty anymore.

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Got it on qvc, now that I think about it, it was actually Dec 2009. Dont think its under warranty anymore.
Well, definitely try Amazon if you're not wanting to brave the crowds! They always have amazing deals and do hourly ones..or any of the big box stores online or in person...Good luck on the furniture hunt. Maybe try around Veteran's day, too. 

I'm not sure if it's true, but I read that Target isn't doing a Black Friday sale this year. They have their collaboration with Neiman Marcus starting soon, and it said they were going to concentrate on that, rather than having the best price on TV's.

My husband and I always set out to wait in line for black friday deals and then we see the line and were like never mind. One year we wanted a PS3 bundle at Best Buy and finally wandered in about 2 or 3 in the afternoon and they had piles of them. Last year it was iPods and iTunes gift cards, wandered into target at 3 or 4 pm and they brought the last 3 iPods out from the back(some lady wanted them too, we let her take the black one) and we snagged the itunes cards with free gift cards that came with the iPods.

Originally Posted by Lisa N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if it's true, but I read that Target isn't doing a Black Friday sale this year. They have their collaboration with Neiman Marcus starting soon, and it said they were going to concentrate on that, rather than having the best price on TV's.
Nope..they're doing Black Friday. There was an internet rumor splashed around after one of the CEO's or super high up reps made a comment regarding sales for the sake of sales, but that was in no way related to BF2012. If you Google Black+Friday+2102+Target, it'll take you to a page on Target's website..Of course, there's little to  no info, but they've already put a page out to indicate they are participating. Stores make bank Black Friday weekend..I can't imagine NOT wanting to participate. 

Oh and I need.a new coffeemaker, my keurig completely broke after 2 years.
Call Keurig! My mom took my brother's Keurig but it wouldn't work so she called them inquiring about a certain part. They told her to just mail them the cupholder, and they mailed her a brand new, better model Keurig in return even though she had no warranty. It's worth a shot!!!

Back