Anyone else had a problem with mineral makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love this type of make up. The coverage, the colors, the flawless skin. The trouble is, that it burns my skin. Literally. As soon as I start to apply it my skin starts to heat up( my friend can actually feel the heat on my skin) it's really bizarre, and frankly, pretty unpleasant. Because of this I haven't used any minerals makeup since. Any ideas as to how to counteract this burning? Also, would you say that it's some kind of allergic reaction to the makeup? Thanks.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burning = allergic reaction. I don't know what you are using. It could be anything.
Well that's a real shame, because I don't think there's anything you can do about an allergic reaction. Do you know of any way you can shield your skin before hand, to protect it?

Originally Posted by Nakshidil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was using the Bare Escentuals
That stuff makes me itch like crazy. The kind with the Bismuth Oxychloride in it was the worst, but even the stuff without it rashes my skin out. Some people have sensitivities to some micas as well.

I have a few Everyday Minerals products that don't do that to me so you might try other companies like them that don't have B.O.

Throw it away, bismuth is used by that brand to add that famous" healthy glow", but it's also known to be irritating for the skin. Switch to another brand, the majority of them don't use that particular ingredient, so there's no reason you should stop using mineral foundation.

As a chemist, I would like to caution all of the gorgeous girls out there against creating a chemical reaction on your skin!  Many of you probably haven't thought about it, but depending on what type of cleansers, and especially moisturizers, you use before applying the minerals, you could cause problems.  I would recommend taking your clean face to a BM store and doing a complete makeunder there.  This will rule out anything you may be doing to cause yourself problems.

I'm a mineral makeup newbie with fantastic results! 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

What? I have no idea what you are writing here.

Bismuth Oxychloride is an allergen to many.  It is supposed to give you a healthy 'glow' that is why it is a popular additive to many brands.  Throw it away and find a formulation you like without it.  There are lots without bismuth. 

Originally Posted by Rebecca Mott /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As a chemist, I would like to caution all of the gorgeous girls out there against creating a chemical reaction on your skin!  Many of you probably haven't thought about it, but depending on what type of cleansers, and especially moisturizers, you use before applying the minerals, you could cause problems.  I would recommend taking your clean face to a BM store and doing a complete makeunder there.  This will rule out anything you may be doing to cause yourself problems.

I'm a mineral makeup newbie with fantastic results! 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Yeah, I apply "mineral makeup" such as Pur Minerals and Bare Minerals and I get a fire-y burning sensation anytime my face starts to sweat. Now that the weather is cooler I will continue to wear these products because I don't have a reaction, but I am starting to research the products from Meow Minerals. The prices are cheaper and you get way more product. The only downside I see it that they only offer loose minerals and I will have to order samples to find a match. However, they have about a zillion foundation shades in various undertones.

Oh, and by the way, be wary on taking advice from those who do not have any sort of presence in the make up community (i.e. posters with only one or two posts) there are many of internet trolls on this sites as well as other sites. A lot of advice I see on here I have to take with a grain of salt.

Ok, so many disagree with me.  That's OK.  I have science on my side and I may not know cosmetics (as some have implied) but I do KNOW chemistry.  Have a nice day!

Bismuth chloride is hydrolyzed readily to bismuth oxychloride, BiOCl:[2]

Bi3+ + Cl− + H2O → BiOCl (s) + 2 H+
This reaction can be suppressed by adding an acid, such as hydrochloric acid.[3]

Bismuth chloride is an oxidizing agent, being readily reduced to metallic bismuth by reducing agents.

List of reducing agents in cosmetics here http://www.makingcosmetics.com/inci-list/inci-reducing-agents.htm:

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I may not be a chemistry wizard but what I do KNOW is that it makes my face burn and itch. So, yes, have a nice day!
Agreed!

And I think many people one MUT are considering anything labelled as "natural" or "minerals" as mineral make up when it is not actually mineral make up and is full of additives.

Noone can disagree with something that didn't make sense. 

Originally Posted by Rebecca Mott /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, so many disagree with me.  That's OK.  I have science on my side and I may not know cosmetics (as some have implied) but I do KNOW chemistry.  Have a nice day!

Bismuth chloride is hydrolyzed readily to bismuth oxychloride, BiOCl:[2]

Bi3+ + Cl− + H2O → BiOCl (s) + 2 H+
This reaction can be suppressed by adding an acid, such as hydrochloric acid.[3]

Bismuth chloride is an oxidizing agent, being readily reduced to metallic bismuth by reducing agents.

List of reducing agents in cosmetics here http://www.makingcosmetics.com/inci-list/inci-reducing-agents.htm:

They are all considered additives.  You just cant apply pigment to your face and expect it to look good.  It'll look like you have mud on your face.  Additives like plain mica, titanium oxide and zinc oxide is what provides the coverage once it has been coloured by the oxides (pigments).

Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed!

And I think many people one MUT are considering anything labelled as "natural" or "minerals" as mineral make up when it is not actually mineral make up and is full of additives.

Sorry, I meant additives that weren't necessary like bismuth and other crap that is not is real mineral make up, but is in commercial mineral make up for some reason.

I think I'm going to have to look into the Meow Minerals 19ten20 mentioned. I do like mineral makeup apart from the burning. I love the way it goes on. I love the coverage and that you can look flawless whilst at the same time appearing like you don't have much makeup on.

I can't do BM either, because the BO makes my face burn as well.

Because of a tendency on the part of Everyday Minerals to constantly drop colors in their foundation line, change formulas without changing labels or giving warning, and then denying they have done so, and eliminating their OGlo foundations completely (I don't need heavier matte, semi-matte or satin finishes, nor do I want that much coverage), I am now looking at other foundations even though I have used their OGlo foundation for years. I have tried Lucy Minerals and liked the formula, but at this point they don't have a neutral shade light enough for my skin tone (although they are working on it they say). I will probably try Meow next from recommendations seen elsewhere, and will continue to read here looking for more recommendations.

So if anyone has any favorite mineral foundations that have a good range of BO free, fairly sheer, light neutrals, please let me know!

I've been advised by some ladies at Ulta to try a couple of other brands, and so far so good. The new ones I'm trying are Lorac (I don't think this is a mineral makeup, but It doesn't matter) Porefection baked perfecting powder, and Studio Gear Dual Identity Mineral wet/dry. They are both around $27 each for 9 grams, both have nice coverage. I like them. I don't like the coverage as much as the Bare Escentuals, but it's really nice to put on makeup that doesn't irritate my skin!

I have sensitive skin that is a little on the dry side. Liquid makeup on all day made my face feels tight and I couldn't wait to take

it off. I have used Jane Ardele loose mineral makeup and found it great. It takes a bit of getting used to, to avoid 

putting on too much. Usually I do half of my face first (from forehead to chin) and then I know how I am doing. Translucent is the colour for 

me as I am quite fair. I was really impressed with how well it stayed on and covered my rosy cheeks. What I didn't like is that I dropped alot of powder and went thought it really quickly. 

I am now using a compact mineral makeup by Thin Lizzy. Minx is good for my skin tone, and like Jane Ardele it has SPF 15.

After 6mths of using it I was so impressed I wrote to Thin Lizzy to thank them for such a great product. 

They replied immediately and sent me free products worth over $100. 

Latest posts

Back