Sign in to follow this  
Nakshidil

Anyone else had a problem with mineral makeup?

I started using Meow Cosmetics because of my sensitivity to most chemicals. The foundation has mica, titanium Dioxide and iron oxides. That's all. And I was able to find an exact match at home where i'd be putting it on.
I love meow cosmetics. I cant wear bare minerals (face irritation/itching) but ive never had an issue with meow's foundation Concealer or eyeshadows.

I loved BE for a really long time, but I don't know if they changed their formula or what.  In the past year or two, BE has just been really making my pores look ginormous, and the Mineral Veil has been going too pink on me.  They used to work for me, but not so much anymore.

Hi everyone. I just wanna ask, has anyone had problems with acne when using mineral makeup? I want to know if it might cause a breakout before I try it out. TIA.

I have had no problems with mineral makeup. Check and make sure that are not a lot of additives in whatever brand u choose. Also if ur skin is oily, you may need a primer. Most brands offer a primer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenoa45 View Post

I have had no problems with mineral makeup. Check and make sure that are not a lot of additives in whatever brand u choose. Also if ur skin is oily, you may need a primer. Most brands offer a primer.

Thanks for the reply. Have you heard of Maribella (http://www.mirabellabeauty.com/)? I thought I'd try them out but I don't know if they're a good brand. Thanks.

I had the VERY SAME reaction to B.E. and Arbonne...and that is how our makeup company started! Bismuth Oxychloride is a large particle heavy metal. It has to be buffed buffed buffed into the skin. It fills the pores, which imparts a smooth look to the skin. It causes redness, itching, rashes, and cystic acne in many people.

While it may not bother you in small amounts, you have know way of knowing how much bismuth is in any particular product. Cosmetic companies are not o

bligated do disclose percentages of any ingredient in order to protect their formulations.

P.S. All of our products are free from Bismuth Oxychloride

Have you tried Sweet Minerals? There is no BO in their makeup and they also leave the "fillers" out - don't need them! 

Have you tried Younique? All of their products are hypoallergenic, noncomedogenic (not clogging pores), and naturally based. They also have a mascara that increases the length and volume of your lashes by 300%. I can give you more information if you'd like

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I came here to see why my sample of Bare Minerals was making my skin so red and itchy. Thanks to you all, I guess I know why! I've never looked out for Bismuth Oxychloride before, but now I will have to remember it, because my face was miserable. Ugh, red, patchy and itchy.

The mineral makeup I use regularly is from an Etsy seller called Arbor Rouge Cosmetics. I have been extremely happy with her products, the mineral foundation is only one of the many I've tried. Looks like I will stick with what I'm used to! ^_^

• Like 1

It's probably the bismuth in bare minerals makeup. It bothers a lot of people. Laura Geller's balance and brighten does not have it. Plus it's a baked foundation so no messiness with loose minerals. It's buildable coverage and easy for travel. I like tartes foundation too but it contains the bismuth in the lighter shades.

I usually can't wear mineral makeup, because sunscreens with titanium/zinc make me break out for some reason. You'd think that a powder form would be different, but even loose/powder foundation with a lot of titanium dioxide in it does. I think sometimes it's used for SPF and other times just for pigment. I don't have any burning or irritation, just huge cystic pimples after a day or two. I can sometimes avoid it if I wash my face extremely thoroughly at night, though. I have to first use an oil cleanser to melt all the makeup off, and then wash my face again with a regular cleanser.

I agree that it's most likely the bismuth oxychloride causing the burning sensation. It did the same to me, along with itching and redness and swelling. I also agree that too much titanium dioxide can cause reactions in your skin too. That is EXACTLY what lead me to investigate ingredients and start our company ;)

The famous glow can be achieved with other ingredients, like the boron nitride that we use. Much pricier, but no itching or burning your face off!

First consult a doctor as immediately as possible. And if it reacts, then better to drop an idea of using those products and ask your dermatologist regarding the use of products of which brand.

I usually can't wear mineral makeup, because sunscreens with titanium/zinc make me break out for some reason. You'd think that a powder form would be different, but even loose/powder foundation with a lot of titanium dioxide in it does. I think sometimes it's used for SPF and other times just for pigment. I don't have any burning or irritation, just huge cystic pimples after a day or two. I can sometimes avoid it if I wash my face extremely thoroughly at night, though. I have to first use an oil cleanser to melt all the makeup off, and then wash my face again with a regular cleanser.

I suggest applying with a latex sponge instead. all that buffing pushes TD or ZO into the pores causing breakouts. 

YUP! first brand I tried was Arbonne's and it's supposed to be so natural. Looked fantastic, but made my face itch. So i started looking into ingredients. It's the bismuch oxychloride. It's in MANY brands.

I use LA Minerals for years now...no problems - no bismuth :)

I love LaBella Donna mineral makeup!  I've been using it for four years and have not, in my life, found anything better.  I love that it's zinc-based!

Yep, bismuth oxychloride makes me itchy and break out too

Ditto! I wear mineral makeup all the time, and absolutely love it, but definitely watch out for certain ingredients.

• Like 1

Wow, I'm so glad I came to this forum, I've been wearing BM for about 5 years now and it makes my skin itch like nobodys business! It doesn't happen everytime (usually when it's hot out and I'm sweating) so I always thought that maybe it was the brush and that I was buffing too hard. My skin in my teens (when I wasn't using BM) was almost flawless and now it's just a jacked up mess. I don't know why I never put two and two together before but this makes a lot of sense.

I'm sure a lot of my problem is stress, but I had a lot of stress in my teens too and my skin never looked like it does now. Looks like I'm going to have to find another foundation to use.