Americans, If you are thinking about not voting...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalylah

Lacquer Lackey
Reaction score
I am here to encourage you to learn about your candidates both national and local and make an informed decision on voting day. When I tell people they should vote I often get the response "well my vote doesn't matter". Yes it does! While the electoral college is not a perfect system it does allow all of us to weigh in our votes to make the differences we want to happen. I am not here to sway your vote one way or the other, merely to encourage you to do so.

You can view Barack Obama's (Democrat) site here: http://www.barackobama.com

You can view Mitt Romney's (Republican) site here: http://www.mittromney.com

These are the two main contenders, although many others are running. Take the time to read up on these men and how they vote on taxes, gun control, economy, immigration, LGBT issues, religion, abortion, energy, war, national security, civil liberties, etc. Not just what they say but what they do. Their choices will undoubtedly effect all of us and we should never take that lightly.

So if you are considering skipping going to the polls, I really encourage you to take the time to read up on these men, your local propositions, and get down to those voting booths to make your vote count. Voting day is November 6, 2012.

Best believe I'm voting lol. My younger brother just turned 18 in September and he filled his ballot out last night. We had a Learn to break down the voters pamphlet 101: how to navigate through all the political jargon and bs. Lol. Educate yourselves and vote as your conscience demands.

Ever since being disenfranchised in the Bush/Gore election through no fault of my own, I have always made it a point to vote at the local AND national level.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ever since being disenfranchised in the Bush/Gore election through no fault of my own, I have always made it a point to vote at the local AND national level.
Disenfranchised?  What happened?

Originally Posted by Director /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Gore won the popular vote, Bush won on a count of technicality due to Florida and the electoral vote.

I'm cynical as hell, and have been since before I was able to vote, but voting is the only thing that puts us all on the same level. Voting is the only thing that makes my voice matter as much as the next millionaire's -- though with Romney's company buying up voting booths that might not so much be the case anymore.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Gore won the popular vote, Bush won on a count of technicality due to Florida and the electoral vote.

I'm cynical as hell, and have been since before I was able to vote, but voting is the only thing that puts us all on the same level. Voting is the only thing that makes my voice matter as much as the next millionaire's -- though with Romney's company buying up voting booths that might not so much be the case anymore.

That's not being disenfranchised, that's how our constitution is set  up with the electoral college.  It may happen this time as well.

That's not being disenfranchised, that's how our constitution is set  up with the electoral college.  It may happen this time as well.
Well, I wonder if she was referencing more of the court decision made in Bush's favor in that election. I was really too young to remember, though... I'd have been only 10 or so.

I already voted - yay early voting! I totally agree with the first post, but would also like to stress the importance of research all of your local elections, too. So many of my friends just pick random names, but these elections are just as important as the national elections, and in some cases, they might even impact you more! Rock the vote, and all that jazz!

I agree with wendy! I'm surprised constantly that people would just guess at local candidate options. They do directly impact people, as they make decisions that directly affect the communities we live in.

Originally Posted by thewendyyybird /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I wonder if she was referencing more of the court decision made in Bush's favor in that election. I was really too young to remember, though... I'd have been only 10 or so.

I already voted - yay early voting! I totally agree with the first post, but would also like to stress the importance of research all of your local elections, too. So many of my friends just pick random names, but these elections are just as important as the national elections, and in some cases, they might even impact you more! Rock the vote, and all that jazz!
Haha, I was also 10! But my dad is super into politics and so I am always up-to-date about the things. Not so much this year because of all the negativity... It's definitely gotten worse and I just want it to be over.

I mean, I think it also has to do with how you define "disenfranchised." If you mean you've had your right to vote (deprived of suffrage) taken away, then yeah, that's not what that Bush v Gore's decision meant, but it can also mean diminishing the power of a person's vote, which would be true of the electoral college system in general, but particularly poignant in 2000 because the popular-vote winner did not become the president. So there is a general sense of "disenfranchisement" in that the majority of voters did not have their political voice represented in who they wanted for president.

I do think people need to invest more in their local governments... I'm just as guilty. Legislation established on a national level generally affects the general day-to-day way less than local laws. In fact, people aren't even voting for reps and senators as much, and those are people who make the laws. o_O The President is powerful, true, but I think people are also giving more power to him by not voting for representatives, locally and nationally.

Haha, I was also 10! But my dad is super into politics and so I am always up-to-date about the things. Not so much this year because of all the negativity... It's definitely gotten worse and I just want it to be over.

I mean, I think it also has to do with how you define "disenfranchised." If you mean you've had your right to vote (deprived of suffrage) taken away, then yeah, that's not what that Bush v Gore's decision meant, but it can also mean diminishing the power of a person's vote, which would be true of the electoral college system in general, but particularly poignant in 2000 because the popular-vote winner did not become the president. So there is a general sense of "disenfranchisement" in that the majority of voters did not have their political voice represented in who they wanted for president.

I do think people need to invest more in their local governments... I'm just as guilty. Legislation established on a national level generally affects the general day-to-day way less than local laws. In fact, people aren't even voting for reps and senators as much, and those are people who make the laws. o_O The President is powerful, true, but I think people are also giving more power to him by not voting for representatives, locally and nationally.
claps.gif

That's really well said and I definitely agree. If people were more into educating themselves and being involved, they'd realize that local county/state reps are very important, more so at times than casting that vote for who should sit in the Oval Office. Congress and the Senate are the ones passing and striking laws, and they also have the capability of vetoing the President(rarely done and usually just means presidential vetoes on bills get amended, but still).

I live in WA state and reps, bills usually are pretty open and more "liberal." So I suppose voters who identify with the conservative or more right wing area of politics could usually express feeling disenfranchised. While there are some issues with the electoral college system, it seems to be a more successful model than others. Just my two cents, though. 
wink.gif

Originally Posted by thewendyyybird /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This too. I wasn't about to find all 50 links for local propositions
icon_eek.gif

Hopefully these posts collectively will encourage members (or lurkers) to take the time to learn about what they are voting for and then go do it.

We were stationed overseas and the voting office on base made errors in their witnessing of my ballot that caused my ballot to be thrown out, as I found out  when the NYT called my mother (my home of record at the time), because I fell into an interesting demographic among folks whose ballots were discarded: 1) Miami/Dade voter

2) Military-witnessed absentee ballot

3) Voting for Gore

That wasn't how I was disenfranchised. I was disenfranchised by my vote not being counted due to errors on the part of the military voting office that witnessed my absentee ballot. 

I mean, I think it also has to do with how you define "disenfranchised." If you mean you've had your right to vote (deprived of suffrage) taken away, 
Exactly what happened.

Calexxia brings up something interesting, with the military vote. I don't know how skewed the reports are, but there's talk about military stationed overseas having resources and access to voting prior to actual Election Day. My first eligible time to vote, resulted in my ballot being returned and I had to recast my vote. My notice stated my signature was questionable and possibly forged.. dunno about that, since I was a fresh 18 year old and newbie to voting. So I had to fill out a new ballot and re-sign my signature. Lol, waste of time and resources since I had already done so. Same signature again, but no further issues arose and I assumed my vote was added to the count.

Baberanza, dunno if you can go to your county seat and register in person. You might try, if interested.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Calexxia brings up something interesting, with the military vote. I don't know how skewed the reports are, but there's talk about military stationed overseas having resources and access to voting prior to actual Election Day.

My first eligible time to vote, resulted in my ballot being returned and I had to recast my vote. My notice stated my signature was questionable and possibly forged.. dunno about that, since I was a fresh 18 year old and newbie to voting. So I had to fill out a new ballot and re-sign my signature. Lol, waste of time and resources since I had already done so. Same signature again, but no further issues arose and I assumed my vote was added to the count.
I voted in 2008 for the first time with an absentee ballot while I was away at school. I did everything as it said and then a couple of months after the election I received a notice that my vote was not counted with no explanation given as to why...It definitely made me upset since there was no apparent reason why my vote wasn't counted. I'm going to attempt to vote again this year, but I honestly don't really care this time around. 

Also, for the question about registering at the last minute, it depends on your state, but there are deadlines for how soon before an election you can register to vote. I would just google your state and find out that way. 

Latest posts

Back