Are there complete lines of 'dupes' out there?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering. Such as, is there a company who prides themselves as selling products with identical colours and formulas as MAC for example, but for half the price? Not just MAC though, any of the better brands and higher end products.

I don't think there is any one company dedicated to duping another, given the possibility of law suits. Obviously there are industry pioneers and trend setters, with lesser companies putting out stuff similar or inspired by.. I think that's more the consumer's end. Doing the legwork and educating ourselves on common ingredients, swatch searching, performance comparisons, etc.. Thanks to the internet, it's pretty easy to find dupes. We have our own section/gallery to search or share finds.

I'd say that Milani is the one company known for dupes, but not of any one company. Their mineral blushes are compared to NARS, their eyeliners are compared to Urban Decay 24/7, their concealer/brightener is compared to YSL Touche Eclat, the baked blushes and bronzers are more like MAC MSF, their glosses are also compared to MAC. If you do a google search for Milani dupes, you'll come up with a bunch. For the most part their mascara sucks, and their eyeshadows are hit or miss. So stay away from those, or do a search on reviews of the shadows before you buy.

Oh and surprisingly, Wet n Wild is known for a bunch of MAC eyeshadow dupes.

Originally Posted by DonnaJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh and surprisingly, Wet n Wild is known for a bunch of MAC eyeshadow dupes.
And WnW shadows also dupe Urban Decay shadows.

If you are looking for a wide range of color selection, you should try out Inglot. Tons of colors both matte and shimmer and it would be so easy to find a MAC dupe on that site. Plus it's cheaper than MAC and you get like twice the product. NYX is good too for lipstick dupes.  

Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ELF dupes Nars packaging.. not sure about the products though
They dupe a couple of NAR's products, but I don't think all of them. As far as I know, just a few.

All I know is that every blush ever produced since Nars "Orgasm" (blech, what a tacky and trashy name) has been claimed to be a dupe for Nars Orgasm.

I keep saying to myself that I'm going to slit my wrists if another YT guru claims that some blush by some-and-such brand is a dupe for Nars Orgasm.  But if I kept my word I'd be dead a million times over.

Seems to me that Nars Orgasm must be pretty mundane and ordinary if every blush ever produced since by any brand under the sun is a so-called dupe for it.

If you are looking for a wide range of color selection, you should try out Inglot. Tons of colors both matte and shimmer and it would be so easy to find a MAC dupe on that site. Plus it's cheaper than MAC and you get like twice the product. NYX is good too for lipstick dupes.  
I've heard a lot about this brand, but assumed it would be completely out of my price range. I was floored when I went to their website. What a selection! And what amazing colours! And more to the point, what amazing prices! I have to get me some of this brand when I get some money.i can't wait to try them. Thanks for all the replies!

I know that a lot of E.L.F. products are dupes for high-end brands, if that helps.
Really? Huh. You learn something new every day. I've never tried E.L.F before, but I will now!

Originally Posted by Nakshidil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really? Huh. You learn something new every day. I've never tried E.L.F before, but I will now!
Their products are hit or miss...I know their cream eyeliner is really good and also their hd blushes! Some of their eyeshadows are really pigmented too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

SOME of their stuff is good. The blush's are ok and pigmented(usually), but very shimmery. Some lip sticks are pretty, they have decent brush's too. But their mascara is terrible. The cream liner dries out so fast. But, it's cheap products so you get what you pay for.

Back