Hurricane Sandy Update Email from Birchbox

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear Birchbox Customer,

Monday night, Hurricane Sandy landed on the Eastern seaboard. If you or your family live in the area, we hope you are safe and sound. Due to the storm, Birchbox’s New York office will be closed until further notice. Many Birchbox staffers are without power but those who are able are working from home. Our New Jersey warehouse is also closed, and UPS and USPS have suspended service in many areas. We wanted to update you about potential delays in your Birchbox service.

Due to the state of emergency, full-size orders placed on or after Friday, 10/26 will be delayed. Unfortunately, the November Women's Birchbox shipments may be delayed up to a week and many will ship after the 10th. Our customer service staff is working from home to answer emails but response times will be slower than usual.

We will keep you updated as we learn more. We are so thankful to have you as a customer and look forward to getting back up and running so we can deliver on our service promise to you.

Thank you,
Team Birchbox

Great idea to put this in a thread! Hopefully, sub members see it and it'll assuage concerns. If damage is that extensive, I'd understand November being delayed or doing a combo box in December. Can't speak for all, but I'd be cool with that.

I think there will be people who complain no matter what but a combo box might be easier for them. 

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great idea to put this in a thread! Hopefully, sub members see it and it'll assuage concerns. If damage is that extensive, I'd understand November being delayed or doing a combo box in December. Can't speak for all, but I'd be cool with that.
well I would be upset.... I didn't get my october box because they ran out of inventory.... AFTER they gave me a tracking number, it didn't work for a week, I emailed them. then they told me, oh yea we never shipped it and don't have inventory, sorry for not telling u. good thing you emailed. November will be free. I just want to get my freaking november box so I will never have to worry about birchbox again, I am cancelled. FOREVER. I will never sub with them again. Can't deal with the drama anymore. I don't care if there isn't power because of stupid hurricane sandy, I want my dang box and I want it on time. or else I think  I should get even further points added to my account for having to wait even longer for my box after I have already been waiting this whole time. 

Originally Posted by serendipity720 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

well I would be upset.... I didn't get my october box because they ran out of inventory.... AFTER they gave me a tracking number, it didn't work for a week, I emailed them. then they told me, oh yea we never shipped it and don't have inventory, sorry for not telling u. good thing you emailed. November will be free. I just want to get my freaking november box so I will never have to worry about birchbox again, I am cancelled. FOREVER. I will never sub with them again. Can't deal with the drama anymore. I don't care if there isn't power because of stupid hurricane sandy, I want my dang box and I want it on time. or else I think  I should get even further points added to my account for having to wait even longer for my box after I have already been waiting this whole time. 
I can certainly understand you being upset over the issue of not getting your October Birchbox, but it seems a little harsh to not be concerned about an issue that is beyond their control (the hurricane).  This is something that they obviously cannot do anything about and it appears that they are doing their absolute best in a tragic situation.  I have compassion for all of those affected by the storm and am glad that there are so many people who are understanding in this situation. 

I agree with MissLindaJean.  I think we need to be considerate of the situation.  I am fairly positive Birchbox will make up for it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's important to understand this is more than a power outage. I hope none of them are dealing with property damage. 

I think it's great they sent this email out. Everyone is always complaining about their boxes being late (myself included) at least this way we know why and should be considerate to the fact that there are trying their best to keep us informed.

The boxes haven't been that great anyway, hehe.

I think it's one thing to be upset over problems they caused themselves, but it really is unnecessary if people make a fuss over the hurricane. I'm sure they're doing everything they can. I really hope I get a November Birchbox and will be upset if I don't, but I'd blame it on the dumb hurricane instead of BB.

Anyone who gets upset over this is obviously someone who has never experienced a disaster of this extent. We were affected by sandy, but not like NY/NJ and it was scary enough for me. I hope all of birchbox staff is well and that they aren't stressed about fixing this when they have bigger things to worry about...such as the loss of their home. 

I also think the proactive email is a great approach...letting us know now instead of trying to make up for it and then having to deal with the issues is a smart move. 

Wow. Sorry a $10 box of beauty items means that much to you. More than compassion and empathy. "Stupid hurricane sandy" was a terrifying storm of monster proportions that has killed more than 100 people and the only way to describe what its done is devastating. I hope you and your family never have to deal with something like this.

https://www.facebook.com/JerseyShoreHurricaneNews

You can see what is going on over here. People are still trying to contact family members. Towns are destroyed. About 80 homes burned down in NY. Parts of NY and NJ were so flooded that there are literally piles of cars. Its going to take a LONG time to completely recover from this.

Maybe they will compensate you with points. You could be proactive and email them, stating you'd rather receive x amount of points for what you consider to be a hardship. Regarding your October box, which it appears to be. But Hurricane Sandy wasn't conjured by BB staff to spite customers. There is a state of emergency and people are not only losing homes, but their lives.

This storm was a natural disaster, and everything associated with it is beyond the control of Birchbox. It sounds like you have never been through such a devastating storm, thankfully. My city was hit hard by Hurricane Ike in 2008, and I can vouch for the devastation personally. When everything is at a standstill, it is what it is. I'm certain Birchbox will do what they can, but they might not be able to do much. 

I can see being upset about not getting the October box, but personally, I'd be more than happy to forgo the November box, and I really would not expect compensation for something that is in no way the fault of a company. 

Hope everyone made it through ok. It seems like things will never be the same, but they will. It WILL be ok. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As someone who cancelled BB myself I understand the frustration.

Having said that, what some of the Hurricane Sandy victims are going through is absolutely devastating. It isn't a power outage. Whole neighborhoods were wiped out, people died. This is more important than a box. I encourage you to find a way to have some patience with them and I am sure they will make it right with you.

Originally Posted by lunadust /img/forum/go_quote.gif

https://www.facebook.com/JerseyShoreHurricaneNews
Seeing the devastation like this always makes my heart hurt.
icon_cry.gif

Originally Posted by lunadust /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think there will be people who complain no matter what but a combo box might be easier for them. 
Sadly this is true. They didn't /have/ to send out an email stating what's going on, but they did. I think the safety of them and their loved ones is far more important than whether or not the boxes will be on time this month. And it's not just them getting  up to speed, it's everyone else around them.

I live in Maryland and even though we were hit pretty hard by the hurricane it was nothing compared to those that live in NY/NJ. My heart goes out to all of them. Even though I have had problems with Birchbox in the past, I completely understand if the box is delayed or even if they are unable to ship one this month. I really appreciated the email they sent out because it shows how dedicated they are to their customers. I am sure they have a lot more important things to worry about than shipping out our boxes, but they still seem dedicated to making sure we get our products. That is great customer service in my book. 

Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sadly this is true. They didn't /have/ to send out an email stating what's going on, but they did. I think the safety of them and their loved ones is far more important than whether or not the boxes will be on time this month. And it's not just them getting  up to speed, it's everyone else around them.
I think its wonderful of them to be putting in the effort and try and work from home and do what they can.

Living in a hurricane zone as I do (although I guess the entire eastern seaboard is now a hurricane zone, jeez!), I understand the chaos and catastrophe that hurricanes can cause and I'd expect it to be even worse in areas that aren't built for hurricanes and aren't used to dealing with them.  My heart goes out to all of those affected and I am thinking about all of the work that it will take to make things even a little better, although for over 100 people and their families, things won't ever be better and that is tragic indeed.  I hope Birchbox knows that most of us commiserate with all of the hardship that they have to go through and hope that they are focusing on their families and what they have to do now to make their own lives livable, much less worrying overmuch about sending out boxes and shipments.  I am being personally affected by it for sure, as it said in the email regarding full sized orders because I just checked and my order for a full size Clarisonic was placed on October 26th as it turns out.  They can take all the time they need to send that to me, it doesn't bother me in the least.  Human lives and stress levels are more important than beauty products.  Beauty is compassion, empathy and humanity.  They need that in spades now, there is much hard work to be done.  

Latest posts

Back