Sausage and Apple Cornbread Dressing

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cornbread:

2 Packages of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix (or your favorite brand of cornbread mix or even homemade if you have time)

2 eggs

2/3 cup of Milk

Mix all ingredients together and bake in a 9 inch cast iron skillet at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool completely and break into small pieces into a 10 X 14 pan.

Sausage Filling:

1 lb. of Smoked Pork Sausage

​
1 Large White or Yellow Onion

1/2 cup Chopped Green Onions

32 oz of Chicken Broth

2 small apples or 1 large apple cored, peeled and chopped into small pieces

Salt and Pepper to taste

Slice sausage into small discs and brown with white/yellow onion until a nice

"crust"/brown stuff forms on the bottom of the pot.

Top Picture: Sausage and Onions - Bottom Picture: Apples​
 ​
While you are browning sausage, add green onions and apples to cornbread pieces in pan. When the sausage and onions are well browned add about 1 cup of chicken broth to the pot and deglaze the dripping from the bottom of the pot. Pour the mixture into the pan with the cornbread, green onions and apples and mix well. Pour the remaining chicken broth over the entire pan of ingredients. Give the mixture a taste and add salt and pepper to suit your tastes. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes covered with aluminum foil. Remove foil and bake and additional 15 minutes.

Thanks so much for reading!  Hope you have a very happy holiday season!!

Full Blog Post

This looks delicious! I really love good cornbread. I have found adding a drizzle of maple syrup into the cornbread mix makes cornbread amazing. Not a lot, just enough to give that hint.

Yum! I like to do a play on this and use chorizo sausage, then add bell peppers for color/taste. Thanks for sharing and personally, I'm a Jiffy girl if it's not home made.. Lol.

Oops...edited to add without apples...so not really that similar lol, oh well. still looks tasty and I may have to give this a whirl!

Back