IMATS Toronto 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeupbyomar

Professional Make-up Artist
Staff member
Reaction score
I attended this trade show this past weekend and it was a success from a vendors point-of-view, but not so much for card carrying Pro Members...

I submitted a critique to IMATS about having a "Pro Members only" access to the floor for at least 2 hours before the general public is allowed in. This is in response to having product being sold out within 2 hours of opening. Once again I have to pay outrageous shipping charges to get product from US suppliers... This is not just me, but from other Pro Members as well when we bumped into each other when we made our rounds and did a quick chat/review of the show.

Once again, the practicals that pros use on set (bags, cases, chairs, covers, tools) were all sold out by lunch time on the first day, and unfortunately the US vendors can only import so much product due to various reasons (having spoken to them about it).

The guest speakers were typical autobiographical in content, and the demos were your typical "how-to's" --- great if you have a begining interest in make-up and want to pursue it further. But for the really experienced, it was painful, because we all (Pros) could all relate and we all have the same stories about our set experiences as most of those guest speakers. So in other words, nothing new. However, there were a few side-tracked insights that made me at least think, now why didn't I think of that.

Some Pro Members I've spoken to, have all said that the LA and NY shows they've attended, are way bigger with a lot more vendors and products that don't sell out as fast and they have vendors that have demos which are industry specific. And they say that the Toronto show is a joke because it's geared more towards the general public rather than the Industry professional.

I can sort of see why, as I've spoken to most of the vendors and they have to go through a lot of red-tape and costs just to get their inventory into the Canada, they say they don't make a profit but just break-even, so they only bring in general purpose products and just a few industry specific products like tools. They want their products to sell out, as it costs money to ship any unsold inventory back into the US.

Didn't they offer a Pro day on Friday as they do for the LA and NY shows? Pro day is only open to pro card holders so you don't deal with the general public. IMATS LA this past June was my first IMATS and I was absolutely shocked by the amount of people on Saturday and Sunday compared to Friday which was so laid back.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Didn't they offer a Pro day on Friday as they do for the LA and NY shows? Pro day is only open to pro card holders so you don't deal with the general public. IMATS LA this past June was my first IMATS and I was absolutely shocked by the amount of people on Saturday and Sunday compared to Friday which was so laid back.
Now that would be smart... I wonder why they didn't do that?

The show was only Sat and Sun.

If it's possible have anyone you know who is a pro and attends the Toronto show to let them know a Pro Day is needed.

If it's possible have anyone you know who is a pro and attends the Toronto show to let them know a Pro Day is needed.
Oh absolutely! At least we can let the Union's Make-up Department Head let Michael Key know to have Pro Day for the 2013 show.

It's cool that he attends the shows, walks the floor and chats with certain people. I didn't get a chance this year to speak with him (he was mostly on his phone and he had an assistant shadowing him all the time) but I had a great one-on-one chat with him 3 years ago, and he seemed very open to new ideas about the show, so hopefully he has retained some of that and we'll get that Pro Day next year.

Ok, going to show my fangirl side but *squee!* I loved Michael Key and Michael Westmore work on Star Trek The Next Generation.

I thought there was a pro-only day on the Friday? I'm pretty sure that it gave me the option when I bought my tickets, but I could just be totally crazy.

I was highly disappointed with IMATS this year. Call me a snob, but I hate fighting through throngs of the general public looking to get a discount on mascara. Due to my work schedule I could only make it there on Sunday and I literally picked up the palettes and disposables I needed and left. I learned absolutely nothing new as everything seemed geared toward the beginner makeup artist. So disappointed.

Originally Posted by Jessybel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought there was a pro-only day on the Friday? I'm pretty sure that it gave me the option when I bought my tickets, but I could just be totally crazy.

I was highly disappointed with IMATS this year. Call me a snob, but I hate fighting through throngs of the general public looking to get a discount on mascara. Due to my work schedule I could only make it there on Sunday and I literally picked up the palettes and disposables I needed and left. I learned absolutely nothing new as everything seemed geared toward the beginner makeup artist. So disappointed.
Pro Day is free because the only ones allowed in are Make Up Artist Magazines Pro Card holders. If you're a Pro Card holder you don't buy your tickets and Pro Day is not open to the public so there are no tickets for it. If you don't have a Pro Card GET ONE because it's free and you get into ANY IMATS for free.

I thought there was a pro-only day on the Friday? I'm pretty sure that it gave me the option when I bought my tickets, but I could just be totally crazy. I was highly disappointed with IMATS this year. Call me a snob, but I hate fighting through throngs of the general public looking to get a discount on mascara. Due to my work schedule I could only make it there on Sunday and I literally picked up the palettes and disposables I needed and left. I learned absolutely nothing new as everything seemed geared toward the beginner makeup artist. So disappointed.
I didn't hear anything from my fellow peeps about a Pro Day on the Friday??? I could be mistaken, however at least someone would've kept some of us in the loop, as most of us work with each other... At any rate the show is done. And I agree with you on the show's assessment, as per my first post...

You're welcome. 

Hopefully if a petition gets going from working pros they would add one or at the very least have a pro morning with a couple of hours, which you suggested, to purchase items.

You're welcome. 

Hopefully if a petition gets going from working pros they would add one or at the very least have a pro morning with a couple of hours, which you suggested, to purchase items.
Yes I agree. I see it as a win-win for everyone involved with the show.

As a show vendor I think it would be awesome to have a Pro Day in EVERY city. And you hit the nail on the head, it is not only expensive for us to ship pallets of products across the border but it is also a harrowing ordeal to figure out exactly how much to ship out. Sometimes we have other retailers in the host city with whom we are friendly, and they will pick up unsold inventory. Sometimes (as in the case of Toronto) we do not so shipping products back home becomes a self-defeating problem.

We did however sell out of all of our cases and set bags by Sunday around noon, and we brought A LOT of them. A Pro Day would be great because we are here to support you.

Back