All Things Natural Hair!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you have kinky, coily, curly, wavy, coarse, thin or straight natural hair, then this is the place to discuss All things about our hair. Let's talk about issues with our hair; share advice, your techniques, tutorials, product reviews, success with products you're using or not; along with any questions.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

claps.gif
Yay to the natural hair thread!!! lol

After using that dissapointing Nunaat (it made me lose most of my curls -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />), I used the dr. miracle conditioner and the cantu creme from previous boxes. i can't stand the smell of dr. miracle's products (they smell like cough medicine), but the good smelling cantu creme made up for it (it smells like coconut).  My curls look amazing with both of these products.

I feel you about the loss of curls, it takes so much work to make em' pop, we can't have any product help us lose it!

Wow! I tried the Nunaat deep conditioner and I have to say my hair loved it and it's finicky.  I like the cantu coconut curling creme; because my hair is very thick I have to use alot of it.  I get good definition though. 

I like the tingling sensation I get from the Dr. Miracle conditioner, I think there's menthol in it, but it needs more slip.

The smell doesn't appear to be super strong to me. I'm not so sure it really moisturizes my hair. Haven't tried the gel yet as I get enough hold from the Cantu creme.

I was a tad bit underwhelmed by my first CurlBox....I tried the Palmer's Coconut Oil Deep Conditioner. I thought it was ok, but in comparison to doing a Virgin Coconut Oil DC I prefer the virgin coconut oil. I haven't tried any of the other products as of yet.

If you're a natural, you must've heard of Curly-Nikki; Nikki Walton, a natural hair guru. 

She's got a great website catering to natural hair; www.curlynikki.com

She has a brand new book coming out called "Better than Good Hair", a curl girl's guide to healthly, gorgeous natural hair. 

It’s on sale for $9.99 (e-reader), physical copy, the pre-order price is $10.98. The regular price is $14.99.   Available for pre-orders, Publication date is January 29, 2013..

Quote: " So, I wrote a book, y’all…and it's (appropriately) titled, 'Better Than Good Hair,' ‘cause we’re not only rejecting the notion of ‘good hair’, we’re showing women that their own hair is BOMB and better than good -- it's the greatest."

Its a fresh new handbook on how to achieve and maintain stylish natural hair, from the savviest and most revered expert on coils and curls

These days there's a revolution going on. Relaxers are out. Weaves are so yesterday. Tired of damage from expensive chemical treatments and artificial enhancers, women of color are going natural thanks to Nikki Walton of CurlyNikki.com, the natural hair blogger and online hair therapy expert.

In Better Than Good Hair, this gifted "curl whisperer" educates women on how to transition from relaxed to completely natural hair, with advice and styles for every length—from Fierce Braid-and-Curls to Fancy Faux Buns. She also counsels those considering the "big chop"—cutting it all off at once to sport a bold and beautiful "teeny weeny afro." Here, too, is essential guidance for parents of mixed-race children dealing with new and unfamiliar hair textures and styles.

Combining Walton's expansive knowledge with tips from other experts in the field, Better Than Good Hair includes:

• Product recommendations
  • Home hair care recipes
  • Advice for parents on how to manage their children's natural hair
  • Tips for using henna on gray hair
  • Guidance on dealing with detractors
  • Step-by-step illustrated directions for nearly two dozen hairdos, from frohawks to twist-outs

Sounds fantastic!! I think I'm going to order a copy.  I like reading and holding books in my hands! I'm kindle and e-book challenged!

Let me know if you're going to order and what you think about it when you get your hands on it. 

Looking forward to reading this book and hearing from you! 
claps.gif

Originally Posted by iluvteffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was a tad bit underwhelmed by my first CurlBox....I tried the Palmer's Coconut Oil Deep Conditioner. I thought it was ok, but in comparison to doing a Virgin Coconut Oil DC I prefer the virgin coconut oil. I haven't tried any of the other products as of yet.
I usually mix my Palmer's Olive Oil conditioner with a hair cholesterol for my deep conditioning. Palmer's is thicker than most conditioners but can't be used as a base.

Does anyone have a steady hair regimen yet?

Yay to curls!

I recently got my hair cut it was down to my butt and now it is about 7 inches down from my shoulders. It is massively layered . But now that I've gotten it cut shorter the curls seem to clump together at the end? When I finger them it seems to separate them for a little bit but look really frizzy.

Any ideas what to do or what is causing this? I use to think I knew how to control my curls and take care of them but as I've gotten older my curls and hair are changing too and are requiring different things. Most days they have the " we are curls, we do what we want! " attitude LOL

This picture was taken after I finger combed in the morning trying to separate them. My curls are like big clumpy spirals but only since getting it cut.

For those with textured hair, there's a great new video tutorial to check out on MuT; it's all about how to use moisturizing products to get beautiful, natural curls, especially for African-American women. Check it out here!

Originally Posted by Mss T /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I usually mix my Palmer's Olive Oil conditioner with a hair cholesterol for my deep conditioning. Palmer's is thicker than most conditioners but can't be used as a base.

Does anyone have a steady hair regimen yet?
Hi Miss T:  I mostly have 4a-b hair, but have some other textures going on around my head.  I wear a TWA that I coil with a boars hair brush.  It's really growing so it's not so teeny at this point. I'd like to grow it out and do twist outs etc.  I have straight patches in parts of my head and in the front of my hair, it's straight and spiky.  hmmmmmm.  My haircare regimen changes as I learn new and different ways to keep my hair moisturized (constant battle with dryness).  But this is what I do now:

I always do a pre-poo with oils on my scalp and hair and sometimes add conditoner to my ends.  Because of dryness, I shed alot when washing my hair, so this helps tone down the shedding.  I co-wash mostly using As I Am coconut cleansing cream to wash hair and then continue to cleanse with various conditioners (various Herbal essence conditioners).  If I do shampoo, I use shea moisture shampoos.  They are sulfate and paraben free; but my hair responds better to just co-washes.  For a quick deep conditioner treatment, I finger comb the conditioner through my hair and then put a shower cap for a few minutes.  I rinse the deep out and then add more herbal essence hair conditioner, then rinse w/ cool water.

I squeeze as much water out as possible, use a quick absorbing towel just enough so water isn't running down my face; then I add oils throughout my hair (seals in moisture,) then a leave in condiitoner ( I use Kinky-Curly knot today included in the Kimmaytube leave-in recipe on youtube,)  then I add a moisture cream (Elasta QP Oilive-oil & mango butter,) really good product. Not greasy, really mositurizing.  A little goes a long way.   I then use a gel for hold. 

I've experimented with alot of gels and curling creams (the product junkie thaty I am,)  looking for the holy grail.  What's working for me TODAY (everyday my hair responds differently to products, a challenge!) is the Olive-oil eco styling gel.  The hair loves it for now.  Thanks for the introduction Curlbox. I spread it throughout and then create coils with a brush.  My hair is very coarse; it doesn't show shine well.  I close with a lite oil mist and voila!  A lot of work.

When I experience product build-up and want an extra mositurizing treatment, I mix conditioner w/ amino acids and baking soda.  This helps cleanse w/o stripping the hair of moisture and opens the cuticle to help penetrate the conditioner into hait shaft.  I leave this on for 20 mins w/ a shower cap, then rinse, I then do a deep conditioner; rinse and then add a drop of cider vinegar per tblsp of conditioner I use to close the cuticle. 

I have to say this has helped with dryness.  Phew I know.  A mouthful.  Please share your regimen. 

Originally Posted by iluvteffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you received the December Curlbox and what did you think?

Originally Posted by Deenellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Miss T:  I mostly have 4a-b hair, but have some other textures going on around my head.  I wear a TWA that I coil with a boars hair brush.  It's really growing so it's not so teeny at this point. I'd like to grow it out and do twist outs etc.  I have straight patches in parts of my head and in the front of my hair, it's straight and spiky.  hmmmmmm.  My haircare regimen changes as I learn new and different ways to keep my hair moisturized (constant battle with dryness).  But this is what I do now:

I always do a pre-poo with oils on my scalp and hair and sometimes add conditoner to my ends.  Because of dryness, I shed alot when washing my hair, so this helps tone down the shedding.  I co-wash mostly using As I Am coconut cleansing cream to wash hair and then continue to cleanse with various conditioners (various Herbal essence conditioners).  If I do shampoo, I use shea moisture shampoos.  They are sulfate and paraben free; but my hair responds better to just co-washes.  For a quick deep conditioner treatment, I finger comb the conditioner through my hair and then put a shower cap for a few minutes.  I rinse the deep out and then add more herbal essence hair conditioner, then rinse w/ cool water.

I squeeze as much water out as possible, use a quick absorbing towel just enough so water isn't running down my face; then I add oils throughout my hair (seals in moisture,) then a leave in condiitoner ( I use Kinky-Curly knot today included in the Kimmaytube leave-in recipe on youtube,)  then I add a moisture cream (Elasta QP Oilive-oil & mango butter,) really good product. Not greasy, really mositurizing.  A little goes a long way.   I then use a gel for hold. 

I've experimented with alot of gels and curling creams (the product junkie thaty I am,)  looking for the holy grail.  What's working for me TODAY (everyday my hair responds differently to products, a challenge!) is the Olive-oil eco styling gel.  The hair loves it for now.  Thanks for the introduction Curlbox. I spread it throughout and then create coils with a brush.  My hair is very coarse; it doesn't show shine well.  I close with a lite oil mist and voila!  A lot of work.

When I experience product build-up and want an extra mositurizing treatment, I mix conditioner w/ amino acids and baking soda.  This helps cleanse w/o stripping the hair of moisture and opens the cuticle to help penetrate the conditioner into hait shaft.  I leave this on for 20 mins w/ a shower cap, then rinse, I then do a deep conditioner; rinse and then add a drop of cider vinegar per tblsp of conditioner I use to close the cuticle. 

I have to say this has helped with dryness.  Phew I know.  A mouthful.  Please share your regimen. 
Hi Deenellie. I'm not sure what my hair texture is but honestly I've made it 12 and 1/2 years (im feeling like an old head, lol) without knowing and I don't really care. Hope you don't think I'm rude but I just find it very unneccessary and divisive. But anywho, I also have straight areas in my head. My regimen has change so much over the years because when I started, being natural wasn't popular and there was zero info about our hair. Everything i've done and still do is based on what my hair likes and just experiementing with my fingers crossed. For the past 10 years, I kept my hair cut in a small fro but decided to grow it out in 2012. I've tried cowashing but it doesn't really work for me anymore. So here's my hair regimen:

Every week, I deep condition and give my hair a warm (or hot) oil treatment. I dampen my hair with a combo of aloe vera juice and water than layer two oils (olive + grapeseed or sunflower), then a conditioner (combo of hair cholestoral, Shea Butter Deep treatment mask, and Palmer's Olive Oil Conditioner), and than seal with honey. I sit under a heat cap for 30 min to an hour depending on how I feel. I let my hair cool for about 30 to 45 minutes that rinse out. I now shampoo every week because I started working out and cowashing hasn't been agreeing with my hair for the last couple of months. Shampoo's: Palmer's olive oil smoothing shampoo, Elasta QP conditioning shampoo, and if I have major build up i'll use a VO5 shampoo. Conditioner: I use to use Herbal Essence hello hydration but my hair has been saying goodbye to the hydration; it hasn't been hydrating. I currently use Sauve professionals in sleek and almond+ shea butter. I like the Tresemme naturals but the price was raised and can't spend $6 on a conditioner. I might try H.E. hydrolious or L'oreal hydro conditioner next. Leave In: Giovani leave in and seal with coconut oil. I oil my scalp with black castor oil, two strand twist it and let dry. That's it.

Your hair will change and the products you use now may not work years down the road. Its normal; i've been through it. You just have to have patience and listen to your own hair.

I'm so glad others are natural. I'm not alone anymore!!! LOL

You are not alone!  Remeber that song by Michael jackson?  Yes I'm experinecing the hair change constantly as I age
icon_rolleyes.gif
 !  But slowly but surely, I'm learning patience.  Bye the way I tried the  H.E. hydrolious.  I can't say it did anything for me.  I have to try it again before I kick it to the curb.  Keep us posted!

You are not alone!  Remeber that song by Michael jackson?  Yes I'm experinecing the hair change constantly as I age:icon_roll  !  But slowly but surely, I'm learning patience.  Bye the way I tried the  H.E. hydrolious.  I can't say it did anything for me.  I have to try it again before I kick it to the curb.  Keep us posted!
I'm finding that my changing hair is a blessing and to look at it that way. The things that I'm going with my hair as an almost 30 yr old I couldn't have done when I was 17 and newly natural. Have fun with it. It's good to know about the H.E. hydrolious. I haven't heard many people talk about it but will post when I try it.

Happy New Year Curly Gurlies!!

I'd like to share with you the news about a new Natural Hair subscription box service called Boombox.

Your Rhythm. Your Beauty. Your Beat. This subscription box is an exclusive offering from Nappturalite Radio, and offers you the hottest products for natural hair, natural beauty, and the natural lifestyle. BOOMBox puts you in touch with brands that care about you and your natural journey.

A monthly sub is $14.00 or if you just want to check it out and not commit (like me,) it's $19.99 including shipping.

There's a different theme everything month. This month's theme is Reinventing the Natural You.

" We've found that those who have embraced their natural hair, desired to go natural in other areas of their lives as well. Our box will allow you to explore the products and resources available to help you on their natural journey."

http://www.mynaturalbff.com/#!boombox/c1axdhttp://www.mynaturalbff.com/#!boombox/c1axd

Just what I need; another monthly sub; argggghhh!! So much for the New Year's resolution! 
satisfied.gif

Lemeno if you're subbing to Boombox or buying (1) box and please review it! Looking forward to hearing from you.

​

Here goes another new hair sub:  Shedontlye;  it's similar to curlbox and curlkit but they provide a few beauty products as well. They allow you to choose the regular monthly box which is $10 or the VIP for $20. She Don't Lye and you can also view videos on youtube.  Just what I don't need, another hair sub.  I'll let you know what I think.  Let us know if you sub and what you think!

Latest posts

Back