Birchbox: December 2012 (Gift Subscription box)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(I decided to post this on it's own since the Gift Subscription Welcome Box is not the same as the normal boxes.)

If you're looking to give someone a subscription to Birchbox or you're considering giving yourself a gift subscription to Birchbox, here are the items inside the Welcome box. Gift subscriptions for the women's subscription begins at $30 for three months, $60 for six months and $110 for a full year (which is like getting one free month).

​
  1. Juicy Couture perfume sample
  2. One Love Organics' Aromatic Body Serum
  3. theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer
  4. Atelier Cologne's Vetiver Fatal
  5. Miracle Skin Transformer Hydroactive Microderm Cleanser
  6. Oscar Blandi's Pronto Invisible Volumizing Dry Shampoo
  7. Chuao Chocolatier Assorted ChocoPod (Life Style Extra)

If you order a gift subscription today the Welcome box for the gift subscription will be sent out on November 28. You can choose when to have the first box - the Welcome box - shipped but the second box will not be shipped until January 10, 2013. If you wait to have the first box shipped on or after December 26 their second box will be sent on February 10, 2013. Note: The contents of the box may be different than pictured here if you choose to have the Welcome box sent in January.

​
Disclaimer: This was sent to me for free for product review.

Are there different welcome boxes usually? I signed up for a second sub the day before you posted the contents of this box and received a shipping notice today for it. On one of the other threads someone posted they received a welcome box yesterday that was completely different. Just curious if anyone knows the answer.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(I decided to post this on it's own since the Gift Subscription Welcome Box is not the same as the normal boxes.)

If you're looking to give someone a subscription to Birchbox or you're considering giving yourself a gift subscription to Birchbox, here are the items inside the Welcome box. Gift subscriptions for the women's subscription begins at $30 for three months, $60 for six months and $110 for a full year (which is like getting one free month).

​
  1. Juicy Couture perfume sample
  2. One Love Organics' Aromatic Body Serum
  3. theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer
  4. Atelier Cologne's Vetiver Fatal
  5. Miracle Skin Transformer Hydroactive Microderm Cleanser
  6. Oscar Blandi's Pronto Invisible Volumizing Dry Shampoo
  7. Chuao Chocolatier Assorted ChocoPod (Life Style Extra)

If you order a gift subscription today the Welcome box for the gift subscription will be sent out on November 28. You can choose when to have the first box - the Welcome box - shipped but the second box will not be shipped until January 10, 2013. If you wait to have the first box shipped on or after December 26 their second box will be sent on February 10, 2013. Note: The contents of the box may be different if you choose to have the Welcome box sent in January.

​
Disclaimer: This was sent to me for free for product review.
Sooooo my "gift box" came today (ordered it after seeing this box and reading this post.)  I only ordered it because I wanted another OLO serum, and was going to spend the points on that anyway.  Then I saw one was included in this box, and it said "here is what is in the box!" so WAY better deal, to get the OLO serum, plus 2 more boxes and the stuff included in this picture. Chocolate! I didn't get that in either of my regular accounts, my mother loves the Mary-Louminizer, and my sister loves Juicy perfumes - so this was just a no-brainer - perfect for me.

Yeah, no.

Pictures of what came in the mail, it did ship on the 28th and I got the notification just fine on both accounts (the one I sent it from and the new one I created for this gift sub) - the outside of the box was all prettied up and I had read earlier that they ran out of the OLO - still was holding out hope that they had put some aside for this box since they sent this out to Zadi SPECIFICALLY to say "this is what's in the box" - they even said "THE CONTENTS MAY BE DIFFERENT IF YOU CHANGE THE SHIPPING DATE" so I didn't mess with any of that, either. 

Not one single thing from that picture is in my gift box. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Not one.  I wish I had ordered the OLO serum instead, before they ran out. Totally could've gotten another one instead of ... this.

I hate to whine about it b/c I get soooo sick of reading the whining.  But - Even when they cancelled my original box and switched it out for something else, I didn't feel slighted. Even when I had to wait until the beginning of the next month to get a shipment, because it was super delayed, I didn't raise a stink.  But for BB to spell it out, and actually send a duplicate box so it will be posted here to entice us into getting it - That's kinda dirty, IMO.

Classic bait -n- switch.  
sadno.gif

I feel like a sucker.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about what IS in the box.  I get that this is a new sub, so I expect repeats in future boxes from many moons ago- and I'm not big on whether the items are the most expensive or most coveted or whatever.  Luck of the draw on regular welcome boxes and subscription boxes, I get that.

I'm upset with what is NOT in the box.  

If they're going to spell it out and say you WILL get these 7 things - and then you don't ANY of them -

Boo.

@jkwynn, @heartsandwhimsy, I am so sorry for both you you guys. I'm actually a little pissed off for the both of you. And frankly it does feel like a bait-and-switch. I hope you're both able to work something out with BB.

Originally Posted by jkwynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sooooo my "gift box" came today (ordered it after seeing this box and reading this post.)  I only ordered it because I wanted another OLO serum, and was going to spend the points on that anyway.  Then I saw one was included in this box, and it said "here is what is in the box!" so WAY better deal, to get the OLO serum, plus 2 more boxes and the stuff included in this picture. Chocolate! I didn't get that in either of my regular accounts, my mother loves the Mary-Louminizer, and my sister loves Juicy perfumes - so this was just a no-brainer - perfect for me.

Yeah, no.

Pictures of what came in the mail, it did ship on the 28th and I got the notification just fine on both accounts (the one I sent it from and the new one I created for this gift sub) - the outside of the box was all prettied up and I had read earlier that they ran out of the OLO - still was holding out hope that they had put some aside for this box since they sent this out to Zadi SPECIFICALLY to say "this is what's in the box" - they even said "THE CONTENTS MAY BE DIFFERENT IF YOU CHANGE THE SHIPPING DATE" so I didn't mess with any of that, either. 

Not one single thing from that picture is in my gift box. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Not one.  I wish I had ordered the OLO serum instead, before they ran out. Totally could've gotten another one instead of ... this.

I hate to whine about it b/c I get soooo sick of reading the whining.  But - Even when they cancelled my original box and switched it out for something else, I didn't feel slighted. Even when I had to wait until the beginning of the next month to get a shipment, because it was super delayed, I didn't raise a stink.  But for BB to spell it out, and actually send a duplicate box so it will be posted here to entice us into getting it - That's kinda dirty, IMO.

Classic bait -n- switch.  
sadno.gif

I feel like a sucker.

This is my fault. I'm sorry. I was under the impression that the box sent to me was the Welcome Box that everyone would get because of the card in it that talked about the gift subscription.

I don't understand. I thought there were several different gift sub or welcome box options?

I think, and I'm not 100% positive, that you're right and there are different welcome boxes so each welcome box will contain different items. I was under the impression that it was like how it use to be where there was only one type of welcome box (much like how there use to be a single pink box each month). So it was my mistake in my original post thinking there was only one welcome box and not a variety of welcome boxes.

It makes sense there's going to be a variety, but smaller, as opposed to 20+ for regular boxes. With the amount of customers and from word on the regular BB threads with the OLO serum being depleted..Plus, they've always had a few variations on a welcome box, which is why I'm surprised some are having this reaction. As a gift sub, I'm sure the recipient(s) will still score some great stuff! jkwynn I have an OLO serum in Lavendar I sniffed. I'll be happy to send it to you, if you want. I dug out some product from the greasy bag it came in lol, so the sample is relatively untouched. You can have it; lavender is not really my thing and I have other oils/lotions to use up. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I still like my box and its not really a big deal. I was hoping for the oscar blandi dry shampoo but I got the lulu organics which I like also. The card inside my box had the OLO serum listed but it wasn't included. What I received was lulu organics dry shampoo, j.r. watkins cuticle salve, harvey prince perfume, a twistaband, a mini color club nail polish in muse-ical, and the chocolate. The only thing I won't use is the nail polish, I got it last month in my BB and have a lot of dark grey polishes already.

I still like my box and its not really a big deal. I was hoping for the oscar blandi dry shampoo but I got the lulu organics which I like also. The card inside my box had the OLO serum listed but it wasn't included. What I received was lulu organics dry shampoo, j.r. watkins cuticle salve, harvey prince perfume, a twistaband, a mini color club nail polish in muse-ical, and the chocolate. The only thing I won't use is the nail polish, I got it last month in my BB and have a lot of dark grey polishes already.
Well, people have mentioned the OLO serum being OOS, so email and BB will probably compensate with points? I have the Lulu, but haven't used it yet. Next time I flat iron my hair, I'll give it a whirl. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jkwynn I have an OLO serum in Lavendar I sniffed. I'll be happy to send it to you, if you want. I dug out some product from the greasy bag it came in lol, so the sample is relatively untouched. You can have it; lavender is not really my thing and I have other oils/lotions to use up.
smile.gif
That is sooo sweet of you, I'll pm you right now, surely I have something you would like in a trade. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

While this whole situation is apparently just a big misunderstanding - I wanted to put it out there that I do know "welcome boxes" are not usually set in stone, and come with various items just like the regular box lotteries each month - I feel like it's kind of implied that I am complaining about something I should know - I assumed Zadi knew the same thing, and was differentiating this one from the regular ones.  

The way the first post was worded, I honestly thought they sent her a SPECIAL gift box specifically to show us what we would be getting if we ordered it before Dec 1.  It was posted as "this is what you get if you don't change the delivery date."  Normally, welcome boxes are just the first box of any sub, ordered at any time.  I had no idea this was her interpretation, I thought it was worded straight from BB like that. 

I have sent two gift subs to my sister and my mother, so if that had been my understanding of this offering, I never would've risked it.  I would've smelled that tili bag a mile away. 
ninja.gif

Regardless, it's not the end of the world.  

Now that I know it wasn't a bait and switch, I have a different attitude - obviously this is not my beloved BB's fault, and we aren't going to break up.  

I'll just double check before I decide not to buy something outright next time.

Oh I'm so disappointed!! I ordered a 3 month gift sub just cause that box looks awesome- I really have wanted to try the Mary Lou balm highlighter. I'm going to stay positive and hope for the best!!

Well, people have mentioned the OLO serum being OOS, so email and BB will probably compensate with points? I have the Lulu, but haven't used it yet. Next time I flat iron my hair, I'll give it a whirl. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I actually did email them! I figure what the hell, right? No big deal either way but if they wanted to give me some points i would happily take them and spend them!

Originally Posted by heartsandwhimsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the same box as you.I gave myselft a gift sub because I didnt want to wait on the waiting list forever. Im not really impressed, and kinda bummed I got a one year sub. I hope next month is much better.

Color club nail polish in muse-ical (it says status update on my card)

Harvey prince eau flirt

lulu organics lavender and clary sage hair powder

gray twistband

Chuao Chocolatier choco pod in caramel

One Love Organics aromatic body serum ( this was supposed to be in my box according to the card but was not there and I really wanted to try it)

Maybe because it shipped in November it's a November welcome box? I have no idea I ordered myself a gift sub, with the request it ship on the 12th I think

My mom just got the welcome box for the 6 month sub I bought her, have to say I'm disappointed! She received a tili bag, a twistband, the color club nail polish, a foil packet of hair mask, a perfume sample and the mary lou manizer. I guess I had hoped for a better box for her and this seems like a lot of leftover items throw together. Wish they allowed you to pick an age range for the welcome box.

Back