I'm not so sure I fit well with Golden Tote. Loved my first tote, but bought 2 more since then and it just isn't me at all. I don't know if it is because it's summer and I don't really like summer, or if the surprise items in general I just hate, lol. I hated everything except the 2 items I picked for July. :/ So, it was really a huge waste of cash, even assuming the Puella dress would retail for... maybe $70? (I'd pay that much, anyway)

TBH, I'd rather spend $156 at anthropologie and get clothing I LOVE. Even if I get less, I'll love it more. :/

I think it's too much of a gamble for me, but it was super fun getting some totes!

I have been researching this for a few weeks now and I cannot decide whether or not to get one. I can only afford the $49 and it seems like most of the items I'm interested in are in the $149 tote. I love that I can pick out one of the items in the bag. And, I can find 2-3 items I like in the cheaper price range. But it's such a gamble. For the price, I want to get my money's worth.

From your experience(s), do you think the risk is worth the money? How hard is it to trade/swap clothes and are the sizes typically true-to-size?

By the way, if you haven't looked on Facebook, they have a whole album of August spoilers (as of July 29)!

I have bought one tote and had a REALLy good experience. I started small with the $49 tote. I picked a shirt in size medium and they sent me a maxi dress in size large based on my profile as my surprise item ($49 tote is a total of 2-3 items and usually if one is a dress it will be 2 items). I appreciated that they actually read the sizing information in my profile to send me the dress in large rather than just send me a medium since I ordered the shirt in a medium. The dress fits perfectly. Had they sent me a medium it would have been a dud. Glad they know the sizing of each of their pieces and whether or not an item is running small/large. Usually when you are picking your non-surprise item there is information in the description about the sizing for that item. I'd also like to point out that I specifically put in my profile that I love maxi dresses and they sent me one as my surprise item. I also called out colors is like and the maxi dress was specifically one of those colors. They really read your profile and try to send things you will like. I say give the $49 a try. It's not too much of a risk and if you don't like the items the trade thread is REALLY active. You don't have to trade, you can also sell.

Lastly, if the two items I got were at Anthro, I believe the top would be priced at $58 and the dress at $118 or $128 so I got a very good deal IMO.

I'm not so sure I fit well with Golden Tote. Loved my first tote, but bought 2 more since then and it just isn't me at all. I don't know if it is because it's summer and I don't really like summer, or if the surprise items in general I just hate, lol. I hated everything except the 2 items I picked for July. :/ So, it was really a huge waste of cash, even assuming the Puella dress would retail for... maybe $70? (I'd pay that much, anyway)

TBH, I'd rather spend $156 at anthropologie and get clothing I LOVE. Even if I get less, I'll love it more. :/

I think it's too much of a gamble for me, but it was super fun getting some totes!

Did you ever try the $49? Also are you in the trades group? I'm sure you can sell your other items and get your money's worth.

I will definitely say regarding Golden Tote, it does cater to one particular style. So, if that's not your style you probably won't like it.

So I held off mentioning my July totes because they were such messes. I ordered a 149$ tote (6 items) and a surprise tote (4 items), both in large. Each tote had one damaged item and one medium item, so out of the 10 items total I received; 20% were damaged and 20% were the wrong size. I contacted GT by email with pictures attached, website form and phone with no response to any method after almost two weeks. I then posted a comment on FB and within an hour got a response. I was emailed a pre-paid mailing label and told to send back 6 of the 10 total items and they'll refund me for the 149$ tote. The refund went on my card yesterday so I'm whole again.

I was very annoyed that it took so much effort to get ahold of GT about this. I like GT, I like their clothing but this isn’t the first issue I’ve had with customer service being MIA. I understand they’re still beta but the damaged items were obviously damaged; one was the black and white Cut & Sew shirt with the lace hem and it looked like the sewing machine had pulled the lace through/stitched across it and then someone took a stitch ripper to remove the threads.

I’m waffling on August as I’m rebuilding my wardrobe due switching careers, but since I haven’t gotten a new job yet I don’t want to build a wardrobe and end up somewhere that’s super dressy or casual and I’m the opposite. I probably will get the August tote and if not then I’ll definitely have to get the September/October/November/December ones for cozy fall and winter clothing because I’m going to the Snowbombing Festival in Austria in April and I need to be completely on point for après-ski (après-snowboarding?) and all the hottie Bavarian boys there B)

Did you try on the mediums? I got a size other than what I ordered but it was because of them knowing that item ran differently size-wise.

Sucks about the damaged items. They seem to be EXTREMELY responsive on the Facebook group to any concerns. I have heard that contacting them the other ways usually takes a least 24 hours for a response though.

I have bought one tote and had a REALLy good experience. I started small with the $49 tote. I picked a shirt in size medium and they sent me a maxi dress in size large based on my profile as my surprise item ($49 tote is a total of 2-3 items and usually if one is a dress it will be 2 items). I appreciated that they actually read the sizing information in my profile to send me the dress in large rather than just send me a medium since I ordered the shirt in a medium. The dress fits perfectly. Had they sent me a medium it would have been a dud. Glad they know the sizing of each of their pieces and whether or not an item is running small/large. Usually when you are picking your non-surprise item there is information in the description about the sizing for that item. I'd also like to point out that I specifically put in my profile that I love maxi dresses and they sent me one as my surprise item. I also called out colors is like and the maxi dress was specifically one of those colors. They really read your profile and try to send things you will like. I say give the $49 a try. It's not too much of a risk and if you don't like the items the trade thread is REALLY active. You don't have to trade, you can also sell.

Lastly, if the two items I got were at Anthro, I believe the top would be priced at $58 and the dress at $118 or $128 so I got a very good deal IMO.

Thanks for all the information. Super helpful and you just convinced me to get the $49 for August!

I haven't gotten a tote since May. I get excited with the spoilers but then once it comes to deciding and I look at the quality and overall design, I don't bite the bullet. I have sooooo many clothes it is crazy but I really like the MerrickArt designs this month and am kinda in love with the blue swing dress. I know a lot of ppl are saying it looks maternity and is not flattering. I could see that being very true for someone that has a large chest or wide shoulders but I have not chest at all and find that swing dresses give me some illusionary "volume" and this length seems very work appropriate and may transition well into fall. The striped one is calling my name as well. I will probably pick the blue one in the $49 tote and if the striped one is still available in the $149 tote, I may get that one too along with the light blue button up top or the white with black detail blouson top. 

Did you ever try the $49? Also are you in the trades group? I'm sure you can sell your other items and get your money's worth.

I will definitely say regarding Golden Tote, it does cater to one particular style. So, if that's not your style you probably won't like it.

Did you try on the mediums? I got a size other than what I ordered but it was because of them knowing that item ran differently size-wise.

Sucks about the damaged items. They seem to be EXTREMELY responsive on the Facebook group to any concerns. I have heard that contacting them the other ways usually takes a least 24 hours for a response though.

I'm in the FB group and usually sell a few items from each tote to defray the subscription cost. The mediums were complete mistakes on GT's end. I'm a DD and sometimes their larges don't fit properly (or I look pregnant) so the mediums are just a no-go.

I have no problem with them being responsive on FB if they didn't provide other ways to contact them. If they want me to complain on FB I'll be happy to do so but then why are they providing a contact us form and a customer service phone number if those methods are ignored? I consider FB and Twitter my last resorts in terms of getting in contact with a company or if their response is garbage, public shaming usually works wonders in getting an issue resolved. The part of me that did marketing thinks it makes a company look completely shoddy if their Twitter feed is full of requests for customer service to contact them or the FB wall has a person complaining about customer service and then fifty-eleven other customers jump on that post with the same issue. I do prefer Twitter as the companies can't delete Tweets directed at them as opposed to companies that delete FB wall posts instead of responding. I worked for a company that would punish or discredit employees that complained about things in an effort to make it appear that everything was perfect so I have a very dim view of companies that aren't responsive to complaints.

But onto August's tote! I'm not seeing anything amazing, maybe the cardigan if it's in the 49$ tote but if not I'll just swap for it or buy it on FB. Come on fall/winter designs, I need my après clothing!

Wel.....I wasn't going to get a tote this month, but then just got reimbursed for expenses today & have had a hellacious week, so did it. I usually have great luck selling things that don't work for me and recouping my "losses" or trading for items I do want. I really REALLY wanted the Garden Blooms dress but they only had a large left and I think it would be just too big. Hoping that because others snatched up mediums, more will be FSOT this month with the new tote coming in. 

Went with:

The Airy Pocket Dress

post-105007-0-16053900-1407169438.png

and the Summer to Fall Dress

post-105007-0-86017900-1407169447.png

Edited by rachelshine
  • Like 1

The pants I wanted are out of my size and the shirt I wanted is out of the color. I logged in at 9:05 Pacific. Five minutes and what I wanted is already gone! Super disappointing. :angry:

I haven't gotten a tote since May but I GOT TWO TOTES today!!! I got the $49 tote with the Blue Merrick Swing Dress and the $149 tote with the striped Merrick Swing Dress and the Dream Daze Blouse all in small. Hope you all are getting the items you were eyeing!

Woo hoo, the paisley printed pants were finally available in blue in medium. My shirt wasn't available in the color I wanted, but I got one of the pleated printed ones from a prior month that I'd been wanting for a while instead. Happy birthday to me a day late!

Wel.....I wasn't going to get a tote this month, but then just got reimbursed for expenses today & have had a hellacious week, so did it. I usually have great luck selling things that don't work for me and recouping my "losses" or trading for items I do want. I really REALLY wanted the Garden Blooms dress but they only had a large left and I think it would be just too big. Hoping that because others snatched up mediums, more will be FSOT this month with the new tote coming in. 

Went with:

The Airy Pocket Dress

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-08-04 at 9.23.23 AM.png

and the Summer to Fall Dress

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-08-04 at 9.23.12 AM.png

Both of those are super cute. I feel like it's already starting to cool off here and the items still seem super summery to me so I think I'm going to pass this month...

i want the chambray polka dot and merrick blue swing dress, but i already got the stripped/navy shirt and the summer to fall dress. they are both out of stock which is probably a good thing. 

I wasn't sure if I was going to do a tote this month but I broke down and just got one!  I ended up ordering the Folklore Tassel Top and the Moroccan Maxi Dress.  I REALLY wanted the tile kimono but they are completely sold out, all they have is the red large.  I might end up getting two totes if they restock since that one is in the 49.00 tote as well.

Can't wait to see the surprise items!

Does anyone know how small the XXS small is supposed to be for the Merrick dress? I actually kind of want, so I might get the small tote... but they don't have measurements. I'm tiny, but I don't want the dress to be too big. sigh.

eta: it seems like XS is supposed to be 0 -- I frequently wear 00 for tops (which mostly the dress would affect). I'm sure XS would be fine so I'm waffling. :S

Edited by Kyuu

Does anyone use this list anymore to discuss Golden Tote? Is there maybe a new one I don't know about?

Does anyone use this list anymore to discuss Golden Tote? Is there maybe a new one I don't know about?

I think this is the only one. There seems to not be much GT discussion on MUT.

I am mostly dying of curiosity to know what people get in their monthly selections and especially the recent Mystery Totes.

I am mostly dying of curiosity to know what people get in their monthly selections and especially the recent Mystery Totes.

Have you not joined the Facebook Trading Group? Tons of reveals on there. 

• Like 1

I ordered a Mystery Tote in medium on the 7th and have not received a shipping notification yet. I guess I was under the assumption that the Mystery Totes were packed at random and non-curated, so I figured they would ship pretty quickly. Do they usually take this long to ship totes? I know they state that they started shipping on the 15th and ship out in the order that they receive the orders, finishing either tomorrow or Friday. So I find it strange that I'm still "processing"...

@@jumpnshout5 they mentioned a few times in that Facebook group I posted that the mystery puella item would not be ready until the 15th and that's when totes would start to ship out. However, you should either call them (number on their site) and leave a message OR send a Facebook message. I wouldn't bother with emails. 

Yeah, I received my shipping notice on the 15th, like they said, but it didn't actually leave the warehouse until the 19th. It's due to be here tomorrow, so at least the shipping is quick.