I think I found my HG

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been on the search for a perfect foundation for AGES, and I think I finally found my HG:

Revlon Colorstay for Combination/Oily Skin in 400 Caramel, applied over my blemishes/acne scars with elf's foundation brush, then a second layer with elf's Total Face Brush (I'm not really a flat top brush kind of gal), and set with NYC (New York Color's) translucent Smooth Skin loose powder.

I think it looks very natural but provides enough coverage, and it lasts all day.

I thought Estee Lauder Double Wear was my HG, but it's about 3x as much as Revlon Colorstay, and the Colorstay is actually a better match for my skin tone since it's more yellow, and the ELDW is more red...plus, Colorstay does stay on pretty well...

At first, when I tried Colorstay, I got the Normal/Dry formula in Cappuccino which I thought was okay but nothing too special (way too red for me, and a bit dark), so then I went back to the store and looked at the other colors available. I saw Caramel in the Normal/Dry, and it looked like it would be too ashy for me, and then I saw it in the Combination/Oily formula, and it seemed a bit darker and more yellow, so I decided to try it. (Honestly, my skin is kind of whatever, so formula doesn't matter too much to me). 

Caramel in the Combination/Oily formula is a perfect match for my skin! It is a tad lighter than I normally wear since I usually like my foundation to just be a liittle darker than my skin, but since the match is so awesome, I don't mind.

It's even a better match than the Natural Hue foundation from the Covergirl Queen Collection I bought the other day, and it looks much less cakey which is great.

I'm so glad I found something I'm happy with! It's so much more affordable, and as a college student, that's something that's extremely important!

I really like the Revlon ColorStay and PhotoReady foundations..they're my HG drugstore foundations and wear great!

I have to say about the color stay line from Revlon - there top coat no chip color stay is the best in preventing chips. For under $5 ( depending where you buy it ), it is better than any high end I've found !

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really like the Revlon ColorStay and PhotoReady foundations..they're my HG drugstore foundations and wear great!
A lot of people seem to like the PhotoReady, but I've heard it is shimmery and dewy which I don't want at all which is why I haven't tried it. (I like more matte finishes).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tevans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say about the color stay line from Revlon - there top coat no chip color stay is the best in preventing chips. For under $5 ( depending where you buy it ), it is better than any high end I've found !

I'm talking about their foundation haha. Never tried the nail polish.

I am so happy for you! If there were not a huge demand for airbrush foundation right now, and I were not in love with another product for that purpose, I would use Revlon foundations exclusively. They are such high quality. When people ask me, I always tell them that they are absolutely taking no risk when they buy Revlon. This is a foundation I think you will enjoy using for a long time--and so will your wallet. Oh, and your skin--I have acne, and it actually HELPS my skin. 

I agree. I think Revlon makes great and quality foundation, plus it's easy on the wallet and can compete with prestige brands.

My HG is Revlon Colorstay too, for months I was using Maybelline Fit Me and i thought it was good until I tried Revlon. I love this foundation so much!

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. I don't love it quite as much as ELDW, but it comes CLOSE!

Also, after watching a bunch of tutorials on YouTube, I decided to try stippling it on with a wet foundation sponge. And WOW! I love it even more now!!

Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. I don't love it quite as much as ELDW, but it comes CLOSE!

Also, after watching a bunch of tutorials on YouTube, I decided to try stippling it on with a wet foundation sponge. And WOW! I love it even more now!!
I started using it with a beauty blender and ever since I love the finish it leaves me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by diana16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I started using it with a beauty blender and ever since I love the finish it leaves me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I've been curious about the beauty blender, but it's so expensive...is it really worth it? I mean, I'm pretty happy with the damp sponge technique, and it's only about $2 for a pack of sponges...

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the liquid, but have switched over to the cream foundation for these colder months.
I tried the cream, but I don't really like it. The color is off (even in the same shade as the liquid) and leaves me a bit ashy, and I don't think the coverage is as good either. Maybe if I could get it 1 shade darker...but right now, Caramel is the darkest shade they have in the whipped formula (which I find strange since there are 2-3 darker shades in the liquid formula). Oh well. The liquid is cheaper anyway.

Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been curious about the beauty blender, but it's so expensive...is it really worth it? I mean, I'm pretty happy with the damp sponge technique, and it's only about $2 for a pack of sponges...
I havent tried out any other sponges so I don't know how to compare it. But I do see that it leaves my skin looking flawless and no other brush has been able to do that

Originally Posted by diana16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I havent tried out any other sponges so I don't know how to compare it. But I do see that it leaves my skin looking flawless and no other brush has been able to do that
Hmm...well, I think I'll stick with my regular sponges. They've always worked well for me, and now that I've tried using it damp, it's even better!

Revlon Photoready for me. Love that stuff. Thought it would be more sparkley but it isn't on me. I only use Colorstay when I know I have to endure  massive sweat or water.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Revlon Photoready for me. Love that stuff. Thought it would be more sparkley but it isn't on me. I only use Colorstay when I know I have to endure  massive sweat or water.
Interesting. I've just heard so much that it's sparkly, and that doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

Interesting. I've just heard so much that it's sparkly, and that doesn't sound appealing to me at all.
I wore Revlon PhotoReady for a few years. I didn't find it to be particularly sparkly on the face. If I swatched it on my hand and held it in the right light I could see it but I didn't look like a Cullen in the sun or anything. It's my favorite drugstore foundation hands down. I don't like a dewy finish so powder works well with it.

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wore Revlon PhotoReady for a few years. I didn't find it to be particularly sparkly on the face. If I swatched it on my hand and held it in the right light I could see it but I didn't look like a Cullen in the sun or anything. It's my favorite drugstore foundation hands down. I don't like a dewy finish so powder works well with it.
Maybe I'll try it sometime then, I don't know. I'm afraid of the shimmer, and I'm not sure about color matching since people say it's lighter than the Revlon Colorstay, even in the same shade...and Caramel is right for me in the Colorstay Combination/Oily formula, but too light for me in the Normal/Dry formula...and the next shade up, Cappuccino, is a bit too dark, and much too red for my skin tone...

Honestly if you found what you are happy with, keep it. A lot of people dismiss Revlon because it is drugstore, but both products are really good ones.

I'm just all about trying different things...I'm a total product junkie!! I have multiple face washes, facial lotions, and makeup products (I think I have somewhere around 7 foundations, just to give you an idea, and I have 2 BB creams, multiple eyeshadows and lip products, over a dozen nail polishes etc)...

The Colorstay in combination smells like paint to me and makes my skin texture look awful and seems to suck all life out of my skin and make me looked so aged.  I'm 33, so maybe 20-somethings can handle it, but I cannot, however.  The coverage is pretty good though, but that doesn't mean much to me if it makes my skin look worse than it was before I applied it.

The ELDW is the same problem, it makes my skin look like it's dying and needs a medic asap.  It doesn't smell like paint, but it has the same problem as the Colorstay in that it makes my skin look seriously ill and old.

If coverage is what you're after, then I  found the lancome tient idole ultra 24 to have better coverage than both ELDW and Revlon Colorstay, and have a really pretty, flawless finish.  It's not my HG, but I do keep it on hand for when I need extra coverage and staying power (water/sweat-proof) in my foundation.

Back