I want to become a Pro MUA, please read and help.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a former beauty school graduate looking to get back into makeup artistry. I would like to propose an offer to you for a little help and assistance in getting back into the learning and building up of my craft in makeup artistry. You can contact me to better get to know me. If you can donate any tools or/and makeup that you aren't using and wouldn't mind to donate to me so I can start building a look book of my creations. I am willing to pay half on shipping or even the whole shipping if its affordable enough for my student budget. I am currently in Berkeley, CA area and my name is Diamond I am 24 y/o and trying really hard to get into my craft but finances keep holding me back. I hope to hear from you even if you can't donate maybe we can learn from each other. I am also looking to assist a professional MUA on shoots and sets pick up some techniques and help someone out in the process.

Thank you,

Diamond

Have you considered applying for an internship at a local cosmetology school, spa, etc to potentially get your foot in the door?

Since you graduated, maybe you have some contacts you can reach out to for assistance and networking? You can always do makeovers on friends to get started and photograph them to get a portfolio going.

The best thing to do instead of asking for used products which you don't know if expired or if it's contaminated is to go to your local Sephora and get samples. Work with the products you have and practice. If you really want to become a pro MUA you might want to apprentice with someone or go to school for it. You can also write to companies to ask for samples and some will actually send freebies to people who ask. Good luck!

Since you live in Berkeley, CA you have plenty of opportunities to work freelance or as an apprentice. 

Have you already started building a portfolio? If not a lot of photographers are willing to give you the unedited pictures if you do the makeup for free on their shoots. And if you're looking for more inexpensive makeup allwholesalecosmetics.com has a wide selection of discounted and tools that can help you build up your kit.

I'm in the same boat.  I graduated from Miss Marty's in San Francisco in 2008.  I left the industry for a bit to be a mom, but am making a comeback - as a MUA rather than a cosmetologist.  I used to do freelance work and loved it.  

I'm slowly starting up again.  I'm pulling out my old kit and looking at what I need to replace.  

I hope you're still on this site.  Your post is a bit old and hopefully by now you are a MUA. I live really kinda close to you.  I used to work in Emeryville and am now in Union City. 

Are you working now?  Did you find someone to assist for?  

Back