Juniper (Another "time of the month" box)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I loved the idea of getting a box of treats at that time of the month, not necessarily "supplies" but more of things to settle down the nerves and as always, chocolate.

Here is a new one, called Juniper.

http://www.getjuniper.com

Juniper is a tampons and treats subscription aimed at redefining the monthly period experience for women. Juniper wants to turn a woman's period each month from a cause of stress into an occasion for pampering. Every cycle, a Juniper package is delivered to the subscriber before her period begins. The box includes personalized selection of tampons and other backup protection products, as well as hand-picked gourmet treats like artisan chocolates and herbal teas.

Pretty expensive at $28 since I have a brand of products I like to stick to, but would be interested in seeing what they have sent out or will send out if anyone else subscribes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

$28?! Ouch. Makes My Cotton Bunny look VERY inexpensive in comparison. My Subscription Addiction did a review of the box. You do get a lot of stuff but it looks hand picked which is kind of sketchy to me. When I get samples from various tampon and pad companies everything individually comes in a sealed plastic package and these are not sealed which causes major concern for me.

To be fair that's only one pic from the review which caught my eye. Here's what was in her box.

Images from My Subscription Addiction.​

The gold bag had the pads and the box had the tampons. My concern is that the tampons were removed from their original box as were the pads. It just makes me cringe thinking that someone handled the products. When the products are made at the manufacturer these items are not typically touched by human hands as it's packaged but it seems from these images that Juniper repackages the items. I know, as I mentioned before, that when I get samples in the mail the samples are packages in a clear plastic - sealed - wrap and the pads in the fabric bag are not sealed in a clear plastic wrap just the normal wrap. I cringe at the thought of someone handling the pads and tampons to repackage the items but that's just me. When it comes to something THAT personal and that's going to touch my bodily fluids I DON'T want anyone else's germs. Did the person who touch it wear gloves? Did they wash their hands? Are their hands clean? No thanks. I pass on this subscription service.

Yeah, the fact that they're not sealed in their original package bothers me. I really don't like the idea of someone else willy nilly handling personal products before I do. The midol packets look like they're from the gas station.

Other than that, the food items included looked good.

Yeah, but that is no $28 box.

Originally Posted by shammycat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, the fact that they're not sealed in their original package bothers me. I really don't like the idea of someone else willy nilly handling personal products before I do. The midol packets look like they're from the gas station.

Other than that, the food items included looked good.

Just saw this on Juniper's Facebook wall. This one is a review of the Kotex pads/tampons from Juniper. Like My Subscription Addiction, The Fashion Bug in Florida's products are also repackaged.

Now compare the tampons sent from Juniper to the ones sent from My Cotton Bunny. The U by Kotex tampons sent to me from MCB are in their original packaging while the ones sent to FBIF are in a different box not the manufacture's original box. I've bought U by Kotex pads before and the box is similar to the tampons and the samples like the ones from Always are in the same wrapping but in a sealed in a clear plastic for protection.

​
Personally, if I had to choose between the two I'd get My Cotton Bunny (they just need to have more variety of absorbancy) which is only $13.75 per month versus $28 for Juniper.

Another thing I noticed, the exterior packaging. MCB has a fantastic shipping box and while that really doesn't play a huge factor in things packaging does play an important part to perceptions. The Juniper shipping box is a plain white box possibly from ULine while MCB has a custom box making it look more professional. To me, MCB seems like they're here to stay while Juniper comes off as a temporary one. Again, my perception based on the fact they repackage the tampons and pads. I don't believe for one moment that Kotex or Always or Tampax or Playtex would repackage their products in a gold box just for Juniper. These companies put in millions into their own package designs so why would they put their stuff in a generic box for subscribers of Juniper? Nope, to me they're repackagers.

It seems like the Red Carpet Box for periods

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just saw this on Juniper's Facebook wall. This one is a review of the Kotex pads/tampons from Juniper. Like My Subscription Addiction, The Fashion Bug in Florida's products are also repackaged.

Now compare the tampons sent from Juniper to the ones sent from My Cotton Bunny. The U by Kotex tampons sent to me from MCB are in their original packaging while the ones sent to FBIF are in a different box not the manufacture's original box. I've bought U by Kotex pads before and the box is similar to the tampons and the samples like the ones from Always are in the same wrapping but in a sealed in a clear plastic for protection.

​
Personally, if I had to choose between the two I'd get My Cotton Bunny (they just need to have more variety of absorbancy) which is only $13.75 per month versus $28 for Juniper.

Another thing I noticed, the exterior packaging. MCB has a fantastic shipping box and while that really doesn't play a huge factor in things packaging does play an important part to perceptions. The Juniper shipping box is a plain white box possibly from ULine while MCB has a custom box making it look more professional. To me, MCB seems like they're here to stay while Juniper comes off as a temporary one. Again, my perception based on the fact they repackage the tampons and pads. I don't believe for one moment that Kotex or Always or Tampax or Playtex would repackage their products in a gold box just for Juniper. These companies put in millions into their own package designs so why would they put their stuff in a generic box for subscribers of Juniper? Nope, to me they're repackagers.

The 2 period boxes I've seen reviewed both seem like rip-offs to me.

I know menstrual cups are not for everyone, but I've been using them for years and they save money, you don't throw them away like pads and tampons. They're not great for some situations (imagine trying to change it at work) but they are great for night time and weekends. You only have to deal with it about twice a day. I don't know why they're not more popular in the (environmentally conscious) US. The one I use is Lady Cup. http://www.ladycup.eu/ which is super soft and comfortable.

Looking at the review and is it just me or is that chai truffle thing also repackaged like the tampons/pads? It looks like they used strips of cardboard for padding... yuck. It's like they've bought a bunch of stuff in bulk from Costco and ripped it all apart and tossed it into individual boxes to sell at a mark-up.

for that matter I keep my pads/tampons I know work for me and just get a love with food or any of those other food subs and stash it away for my time of the month :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by suenotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know menstrual cups are not for everyone, but I've been using them for years and they save money, you don't throw them away like pads and tampons. They're not great for some situations (imagine trying to change it at work) but they are great for night time and weekends. You only have to deal with it about twice a day. I don't know why they're not more popular in the (environmentally conscious) US. The one I use is Lady Cup. http://www.ladycup.eu/ which is super soft and comfortable.
Right on! I use a Diva Cup and would never look back. It's a little bit messier, but you only have to deal with it two-three times in a 24 hour period, don't have to worry about leaks or waking up to change a tampon when you're asleep. I've even emptied mine at school a few times and actually not had an issue at all, because it can just be wiped out and you can rinse it next time. And no TSS risk! and no chemicals in your junk :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I bought mine the day I read this: http://jezebel.com/5897186/horrifying-moldy-tampon-story-will-haunt-your-nightmares

Man, I wanted to love the cup so bad.  I really did.  I could always feel it, and I had to 'dump' it too often to make the mess manageable.  I do have a pretty high-maintenance reproductive system though.  It likes to make my life difficult in multiple ways.  Not difficult enough to spend money on overpriced repackaged tampons to avoid going to the store.

Originally Posted by BrittneyMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Right on! I use a Diva Cup and would never look back. It's a little bit messier, but you only have to deal with it two-three times in a 24 hour period, don't have to worry about leaks or waking up to change a tampon when you're asleep. I've even emptied mine at school a few times and actually not had an issue at all, because it can just be wiped out and you can rinse it next time. And no TSS risk! and no chemicals in your junk :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I bought mine the day I read this: http://jezebel.com/5897186/horrifying-moldy-tampon-story-will-haunt-your-nightmares
I actually wanted to try Diva Cup for the longest time, my skin is not really happy with pads and just a few tampons are comfy for me... is the Diva Cup comfy? like do you "feel" it a lot when you walk/bend down/sit down

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I actually wanted to try Diva Cup for the longest time, my skin is not really happy with pads and just a few tampons are comfy for me... is the Diva Cup comfy? like do you "feel" it a lot when you walk/bend down/sit down
I really only feel it for the first minute or so that it takes to settle in, and then if I squat it can mess up the placement a little bit, but bending over, sitting down, walking, cant feel it at all.

Originally Posted by BrittneyMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by suenotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It made me happy reading this! I'm on year 3 with cups and not looking back...my meluna is a lifesaver. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And as someone with a heavier period some days, I actually find the cup LESS messy...believe it or not :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How does the cup make you any less likely to get TSS (not that you ever hear about it anymore, its basically been eradicated through education) but I would think there would be more germies on a cup you washed in the sink than in a hermetically sealed tampon. 

Like cloth diapers, I consider them to be of the housewife leisure category, much much easier to deal with if you are around your house all day, not exactly convienent in anywhere but your own home.

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by BrittneyMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I started with a Diva and sometimes I could feel it, on days that my cervix was lower...but it wasn't horrible. But when I lost it and had to get a new cup, I got a shorter one (a meluna) and I never feel it at all! Especially the soft model1

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How does the cup make you any less likely to get TSS (not that you ever hear about it anymore, its basically been eradicated through education) but I would think there would be more germies on a cup you washed in the sink than in a hermetically sealed tampon. 

Like cloth diapers, I consider them to be of the housewife leisure category, much much easier to deal with if you are around your house all day, not exactly convienent in anywhere but your own home.
Tampons absorb and alter the PH /the environment of the vagina.

Cups don't absorb, they just collect.

There have been no cases of TSS associated with menstrual cup use.

I use mine exclusively and I'm far from a housewife, I don't find it difficult at all and it;s worth a small amount of inconvenience (I carry a small pack of homemade wipes to clean it when needed) to help my pocketbook and the environment.

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

TSS is more common with tampons because of bacteria growth in the synthetic materials. Menstrual cups are made from medical grade silicone, and there aren't any porus surfaces for the bacteria to grow in. A lot of people boil their cups between cycles, too.

(but I also cloth diaper my kids, and I'm a full time nursing student, certainly not a housewife, and I found cloth to be substantially more convenient than disposables, so maybe our minds are on different tracks, lol)

Editing to add that TSS is far from eradicated. It happens all the time, despite increased awareness and education

Back