Makeup Shopping- Need Advice

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am going makeup shopping this weekend. It has been some time since I have shopped for makekup so I would love to read your suggestions on what I am hoping to buy. Primer- Need suggestions Makeup- MAC Studio Fix liquid foundation Concealer- Need suggestions Translucent powder- I used to Prescriptive- it was a powder that felt like water when you applied it and tried with a faint shimmer. I have searched for it online and couldn't find it. Does anybody know the name? Blush- Nars Orgasm Eyebrow powder- Need suggestions Mascara- I love mascara and usually wear at least 3 coats- I would like to have a better brand- I am using an Avon brand now Nude lipstick- Need suggestions I appreciate all of you suggestions SuperLeerin

I dont know youre budget so im naming a few high end and my fave drugstore brands that are just as good if not better My new fave primer is Clarins Instant Smooth base, feels like butter on your skin, seriously worth every penny. Concealer, amazing brand is amazing haha, I hear hard candy camouflage is $7 and just as good as all other high end concealers Mascara - benefit they're real is my fave one. I always default to Loreal voluminous brand too I'd love to know what u end up buying, good luck!

Primer is so dependent on your skin type, I think.  I know many people's HG is Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, but it's quite expensive and I have never tried it personally.

My favorite concealer by far is the Cover FX cream concealer.  Sephora carries it now.  It's silicone based, but it has really great coverage, and better yet, it sticks to anything which is pretty amazing from my experience.  A tiny bit goes a long way.  Another great one is at Ulta, and it's the Laura Geller Real Deal full coverage cream concealer.  I haven't bought it, but I have heard great things about it and could tell from trying it in the store that it was a good product.  It just always seems to be out of stock.

I've heard great things about Milani's eyebrow kit, and that's a pretty cheap option.

What do you need/want in a mascara?  If waterproof isn't a need, for bold lashes with thickness and length, I like Lancome's Hypnose, but maybe you should get one of those crazy mascara makeup packs that has a ton of samples in it and figure out which one you want from there by trying a bunch.

What do you want out of your lipstick?  What finish do you want?  What's your skintone and natural lip pigment?  Is it important that it's long-wearing?

I really like Boots No 7 Photofix primer, Maybelline Fit Me concealer, Revlon Photoready translucent powder and ELF's matte lip color.

I don't use blush ever, and rarely use mascara since my eyelashes are naturally quite thick, full, curly and BLACK. I only sometimes do it for drama, and when I do, I use whatever mascara I find on sale...

For a powder I would highly recommend Tarte's Smooth Operator. I have tried a few different types then decided to give this one a try and wow. it is amazing. It is so lightweight and goes on so smoothly. It even helps reduce the look of your pores (very helpful) It also does not effect my dry skin. A little goes a very very long way.

Blush I am now in love with Tart's Amazonian clay blush. I got dollface a week ago and can not stop wearing it. I also love Benefit's Bella Bamba. lovely watermelon pink colour .

Mascara Benefit's Their real is awesome. I have also enjoyed Maybelline's Mega Plush (green tube) mascara.

If you need an eye primer ELF eye primer is good. I mainly use one by an indi company called Glamour Doll Eyes. The primer is called Control Freak. This is a link to it. There is even a vegan version. I have never had an issue with this one and i have been exclusively using it for about a year (when it came out)

http://www.glamourdolleyes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94_97&products_id=962

As far as mascara goes, I am really loving E.L.F.'s Lash Extending Mascara. So far this is the only mascara I have been able to apply to myself (MUAs have better luck) that does not clump and does lengthen. Plus it is quite inexpensive.

Hi All, Thank you for all of the great suggestions. Just a bit about me, I have an olive complexion with dark brown hair. I am looking for a good everyday work appropriate look. I love Kim Kardashian's nude look although I think her eye makeup can be a bit heavy. I love mascara andbut cannot find one that I am totally happy with. I use one to thicken my lashes and one to lengthen them. However, they can never be black enough. As far as lipstick- I like what I call a regular lipstick- not too shiny but not matte. I am looking for a nude lipstick but with a hint of pink. Feel free to keep the suggestions coming, they are greatly appreciated.

I think L'Oreal makes pretty good mascaras, the Voluminous ones or whatever they're called. If you like the KimK look, but without the dark smokey eye, try using browns and some taupes. I'd also recommend Ben Nye Banana powder. It's a great product and you get a lot for the price. Plus, it'll work well with your skin tone!

The key with nude lipstick from what I understand is that you should pick one only two shades lighter than  your natural lip color otherwise you're prone to looking ill.  I know that's not the most straightforward information, but it makes sense.

I'm light olive in complexion, and I picked up Lancome's Color Design  in Natural Beauty in a gift with purchase, and it's the closest to a nude lip that I can pull off since my lips are fairly pigmented.  I found some pretty good swatches of it here: http://www.beautezine.com/lancome-corno-collection-for-summer-2012-review-photos-swatches/

Something pretty close to that and slightly pinker and less browner that I also own is Wet N Wild's 902C "Bare it All.'  It's a surprisingly pigmented and lasting lipstick for around $2.

I think Kim has been rumored to wear Freckletone by MAC; MAC's Cherish is a similar color but more pinkish than peachy.  You can look for dupes of these colors if you want to play with something cheaper.  I think Rimmel Crush and the Wet N Wild Bare it All that I mentioned above are considered to be pretty close to Freckletone.

NYX lipsticks are also very affordable and good quality with a fairly large range of colors.  See if there are any of those that you like.

Hopefully that helps give you a starting point on your quest for a nude lip.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Speaking of primer, I've never used primer. Could you tell me what it does and is it necessary? Thanks!

Originally Posted by mermuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Primer is so dependent on your skin type, I think.  I know many people's HG is Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, but it's quite expensive and I have never tried it personally.

My favorite concealer by far is the Cover FX cream concealer.  Sephora carries it now.  It's silicone based, but it has really great coverage, and better yet, it sticks to anything which is pretty amazing from my experience.  A tiny bit goes a long way.  Another great one is at Ulta, and it's the Laura Geller Real Deal full coverage cream concealer.  I haven't bought it, but I have heard great things about it and could tell from trying it in the store that it was a good product.  It just always seems to be out of stock.

I've heard great things about Milani's eyebrow kit, and that's a pretty cheap option.

What do you need/want in a mascara?  If waterproof isn't a need, for bold lashes with thickness and length, I like Lancome's Hypnose, but maybe you should get one of those crazy mascara makeup packs that has a ton of samples in it and figure out which one you want from there by trying a bunch.

What do you want out of your lipstick?  What finish do you want?  What's your skintone and natural lip pigment?  Is it important that it's long-wearing?

Primer does what it says lol. It primes your skin (gets it ready to put makeup on, helps makeup last longer and go on more smoothly). It's definitely not necessary, but I prefer using it than not. My makeup looks nicer when I do.

Primer is designed/marketed to create a smoother surface for makeup to adhere to. For facial primers, they can contain SPF, maybe a color correcting option or something to help mattify or luminize skin's appearence. If I'm just using BB cream, I don't bother. But I do with foundation and always use something as a base for my eye makeup. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The Bare Minerals Flawless definition volumizing mascara is amazing! I am in love. I have very oily skin, but it stays on and lengthens and volumizes. I love the way it makes my lashes look. No one ever talks about it and I don't know why. Also, the Lancome Black Carat is great as well.

Latest posts

Back