Peeling polish?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys -- I was wondering what I can do to stop my nail polish from peeling all off?

I just painted them and today they are peeling off in big chunks. I buffed them, put on a strengthing top coat, painted 2 coats & put a top coat on! What's something that helps to make them not peel off like that?

Buffing isn't really necessary unless you're removing flakes. Also, over-zealous buffing can lead to thinning of the nail and you don't want that!

The most likely culprit for the peeling is layers are too thick? Try to keep your layers thin and only do as many as are absolutely necessary. The more layers - the more quickly it will peel.  Also, don't soak your nails or shower right before you apply polish. The nails are porous and absorb water so once they are dry they shrink back, which can cause chipping and peeling.

Make sure there are no oils on the nails before you start, so after you've filed and prepped, make sure you remove all oils again with polish remover or alcohol ('squeak' them!). Then apply base coat, colour and top.  Make sure you cap top of th the free edge of the nail with colour and top coat, this should prevent tip wear happening as quickly.  Also try and avoid getting any polish on the eponychium (what a lot people mistake for cuticle!) and side walls - anything that causes ridges or bumps can lead to peelage or the temptation to pick.

The other thing that can make polish peel is cuticle on the nail plate.  Really I don't feel happy to recommend anything for that though except getting a professional mani.

Hopefully some of that will be helpful.

I always recommend buffing the nails but be gentle and not over buff. As mentioned above the other culprit could possibly be that there is excessive oil or lotion on the nail. Do you wipe your nail down with nail polish remover or alcohol prior to buffing? If not try that. If it continues there could be other issues such as applying the polish to thick (as mentioned), not allowing the polish to dry long enough between coats or even possibly bad polish.

Back