Hereditary dark circles..What is the best solution to reduce them for dark complected skin like mine?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a man and I was born with dark circles and it has been ruining my life ever since I was born. I know men shouldn't worry about dark circles but mine are hereditary and very dark compared to the rest of my face and look just plain awful. I have light brown skin. My skin tone is a tad darker than Jennifer Lopez skin tone. My dark circles are on my eyelids all around to my under eyes. Dr Seckell in Massachusetts says he can do the The Arcus Marginalis Release with Fat Repositioning but I heard it results in hyperpigmentation in the face.. So I'd be a little worried about having that procedure done. I went to several cosmetologists and dermatologists and their reply is "Well you have dark complected skin and their is no cure to fix your kind of skin, your under eyes are too thin and it is natural discoloration of the skin". Then they prescribe me creams that simply wont work like the vitamin C serum with eye cream whitener or they tell me to use hydroquinone on the eye area, which is ineffective also. I know there isn't a cure for dark circles, which is surprising to me, with all the brilliant cosmetologists out there that cant seem to find a solution for people with darker skin to help fix their dark circle or any skin pigmentation problems for that matter but they can do miracles for people with white skin, maybe i should've been born white, to make it easier on them. If you ask me, white people already have perfect skin, what do they need fixing?. Anyway, I am currently using products from bobbi brown which is a hydrating cream, malt colored eye shadow for my dark circle eyelids and creamy concealer with the finishing powder for my under eye dark circles and it works good but Its a regimen I would have to use every morning after taking a bath until the day I die and these products come in such small sizes and last for less than 2 months and would cost me money every 2 months. I am trying to find a cream out there that can be very effective in reducing the dark circles on my eye lids and my under eyes, so I wouldn;t have to be depressed to look at my face and see my dark circles appear after the make-up has rubbed off during the night, Look, I am not going to fool myself, I know cosmetologists are too busy finding solutions for for people with lighter skin and ignoring people with darker skin tones but all I'm asking for is a cream that can at least minimize the appearance and a very good concealer and eye shadow to put on that treatment cream to minimize my dark circles on my lids and under eyes. Please help me.. because this is effecting my everyday life. I look so much better when these dark circles are covered and when they're not, i look completely horrible. So someone out there, just tell me what I should do about this.

no way to get rid of them.  i even asked my derm.  thin skin and blood vessels underneath.  you can put a retinoid underneath to try to plump it.  but really, concealer is your only option.  the best one i've found so far is BOING by BENEFIT.  try it out and find a color for you.  it's not cakey, and actually blends with skin and covers at the same time!!  I use #3.

oh, and i too have upper and lower bags!!  well, mostly lower, but i have heavy lids.  thank GOD my dark circles are not thick (like my aunt's).  hers are thick, puffy and purple.  mine are just dark!! 

If what you've got are dark purple-blue circles, then you'll want a concealer that's peachy toned to cancel out the color under the eye. 

I agree with the concealer recommendations. Check out Graftobian HD Cream Corrector in Soft Orange. This is the best I've tried, and I've tried many. Set with a little powder if you're prone to creasing. You can also use it under a flesh toned concealer, if you prefer that extra coverage. Becca makes an awesome concealer that is compatable with Graftobian's formula (meaning they work well together, don't separate etc). http://www.graftobian.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=1893&catId=2147

hey as a white girl I will tell you I never leave home without my concealer on or I will look as if a magic marker attacked me.

How lovely would life be if we could wake up and be perfect but I fear we would find something else to fixate on.

There is no race with perfect skin. Have you tried rubbing the dark circles with castor oil? It might sound strange but that can help. Another product to try is Ambi fade creams. They are great and even out the skin.Try rubbing the castor oil twice a day, the Ambi, wear sunblock (please even in the winter), and try concealer. Anything you try will take time to work and I wish you the best.

I'm a white skinned girl with dark circles since I was 6!

I am also in the medical profession and through many years of study and research I have come to the conclusion that several factors are contributing to dark circles and each one needs to be addressed individually for best results.

1. Problem: Dark circles are more visible when under eye skin is thinner and blood vessels dilated.

Solution: Try a cream that stimulates collagen production and constrict the blood vessels of the skin (caffeine is one ingredient that can help).

2. Problem: Congested veins around the eyes are more likely to be visible. Nasal congestion is often a contributor to this. 

Solution: If you suffer with chronic nasal congestion, usually due to sinusitis or hay-fever, try intranasal corticosteroid spray- can be used long-term and gives good results.

3. Problem: Lack of sleep makes the skin look pale making dark circles worse by contrast.

Solution: Hit the sack early!

4. Problem: Lack of vitamins and antioxidants. 

Solution: Eat healthy and varied diet. Pay particular attention to iron, B12 and vit.K. 

5. Problem: Hereditary. Unfortunately, genes cannot be knocked out of our DNA (yet!).

Solution: Under eye corrector/concealer. Yellow/peach neutralises blue/purple hues.

I hope this helps. Let me know if any queries ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back