Sign in to follow this  
tinkerbll695

Birchbox January 2013

You're welcome. I resubbed in the middle of November and I got my box by the end of the month. If you add the sub to your cart it should show the estimated shipping date for your box.

I don't get all the hype around silicones. Would love to hear some of the benefits others experience from cutting them out.

I have no texture to my hair, so I like the smoothness silicone products give me. Makes my blonde super shiney and I clarify wash once every 10 days or so I don't really get "build up"

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic View Post

I don't get all the hype around silicones. Would love to hear some of the benefits others experience from cutting them out.

I have no texture to my hair, so I like the smoothness silicone products give me. Makes my blonde super shiney and I clarify wash once every 10 days or so I don't really get "build up"

I use silicones occasionally, but try to avoid them most of the time (don't really buy them, but I'll try a sample I get in a sub, for example). For me, it's because it coats the hair, so treatments and oils don't penetrate the hair and become a waste (so all those "argan oil" treatments that are full of cones might as well just be a silicone serum...will leave your hair smooth and shiny, but aren't actually nourishing anything), and yes, silicones cause major buildup, my hair starts to get dull and heavy feeling...and I personally prefer not to have to remember to use a harsh clarifying shampoo to remedy the problem, when for me, it is easier just to use other things most of the time. I generally try to avoid sulfates, as well, and they're just about necessary to really wash out silicones.

It's just a personal preference.

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld View Post

I use silicones occasionally, but try to avoid them most of the time (don't really buy them, but I'll try a sample I get in a sub, for example). For me, it's because it coats the hair, so treatments and oils don't penetrate the hair and become a waste (so all those "argan oil" treatments that are full of cones might as well just be a silicone serum...will leave your hair smooth and shiny, but aren't actually nourishing anything), and yes, silicones cause major buildup, my hair starts to get dull and heavy feeling...and I personally prefer not to have to remember to use a harsh clarifying shampoo to remedy the problem, when for me, it is easier just to use other things most of the time. I generally try to avoid sulfates, as well, and they're just about necessary to really wash out silicones.

Ah, yes, I use the clarifying shampoo to get off mostly styling products, and clarifying shampoos really do a number on all my blonde, it always makes my blonde so super luminous, but I guess generally people use a routine that works best for them. Sulfate free stuff gunks up my hair into a total greaseball, but really helps my boyfriend's thick dry curly hair. 

I guess i just judge based on performance and my reaction to it, not solely on the labels, I'll try anything once :P

Originally Posted by marybbryant View Post

I love my Orofluido and doubt I would change.  I know a lot of people love Ojon though.  I used another Ojon oil before BIrchbox introduced me to Orofluido and I liked the Ojon, but I love, love. love Orofluido. 

The thing about the Orofluido is that I have seriously crazy-lady hair.  It's part straight, part curly, and sticks up and out all over the place.  If there is even a hint of humidity in the air or precipitation in the forecast, my hair is even worse.  Orofluido is the ONLY product I have ever tried that tames my hot mess of hair.  I can honestly say that I now have pretty, sexy hair.  People actually compliment me on it all the time now.  

I also have crazy hair, and I have discovered several excellent products in the beauty subscriptions, which have transformed my hair into being much less crazy.  I would have never found all of them on my own, and if I did, the search would have cost me as much as I have paid for several of my subscriptions.  So, for me, the beauty boxes are worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld View Post

Ah, yes, I use the clarifying shampoo to get off mostly styling products, and clarifying shampoos really do a number on all my blonde, it always makes my blonde so super luminous, but I guess generally people use a routine that works best for them. Sulfate free stuff gunks up my hair into a total greaseball, but really helps my boyfriend's thick dry curly hair. 

I guess i just judge based on performance and my reaction to it, not solely on the labels, I'll try anything once :P

I too have pretty thick hair, that tends toward the dry side...I imagine that those with less sponge-like hair would indeed have fewer problems with the harsher detergents :)

Of course, I've worn my hair long for years, and as such, never really used any styling products, just various hair oils and the occasional cream. I just chopped off more than a foot of hair, into a short style that will obviously need some styling products...so we'll see if the sulfate free stuff is still sufficient...

Hair treatment has gotten so much more convoluted and complicated. Remember when we all just used shampoo and conditioner like our moms? I miss the days of just picking out whatever was on sale and smelled good. I guess when I was younger I never really noticed a difference. Now I'm kind of curious to know what women from older generations think about this stuff (silicones, sulfates, etc.). 

Young hair, like young skin, is beautiful.  When you get older, your hair needs more attention, just like your skin.  My hair color has darkened over time, and the texture and wave are not the same.  Then, once the grays started, I had another color and texture to deal with.  So, I have welcomed products to keep my hair looking nice, and haven't given much thought to the chemicals in them.  I look at the beautiful skin and hair of my younger friends and relatives and tell them how beautiful they are.  I hope they appreciate what they have.

Originally Posted by queenofperil View Post

Hair treatment has gotten so much more convoluted and complicated. Remember when we all just used shampoo and conditioner like our moms? I miss the days of just picking out whatever was on sale and smelled good. I guess when I was younger I never really noticed a difference. Now I'm kind of curious to know what women from older generations think about this stuff (silicones, sulfates, etc.). 

I grew up using only shampoo, conditioner, and sometimes mousse or gel...and the shampoo and conditioner was whatever smelled good. BUT, I had long, thick hair that was always fighting tangles, it wasn't shiny...and knowing what I know now, my hair looks and feels so much better. Looking at childhood pictures, there is a noticeable difference in my hair when I was 10 and when I was 16, after I had discovered different hair products (I think the first products that really wowed me were Tigi Bedhead products...I thought they were such a splurge.)

Of course, that difference in my hair wasn't about the silicones and sulfates, as those things were still in products I was using, but more about using the right things for my hair and higher quality products.

Even things of similar quality...if we're talking mainstream drugstore products with sulfates and cones...I can use Suave Professionals, for example, and my hair looks and feels pretty okay...but I can use Pantene and it feels and looks awful. My hair does okay with Herbal Essences, but it hates Garnier.

I know people who can use anything, and their hair looks and feels nice. Others like me just have fussy hair with no apparent rhyme or reason to its preferences.

I avoid silicones because I conditioner wash, which doesn't get them out.  I can honestly say I don't miss the old days of whatever shampoo and conditioner, because I've had PITA hair my entire life (despite dropping massive amounts of money into every salon product made)--superfine, thin, won't hold style, damages easily, flyaways, greasy after a single day.  I've been really happy with my results, and if it means no silicone, well that's one less thing to buy.

As far as older women, I got my mom on the no-sulfate train and she is ecstatic.  She has a bit of a weird jewfro which tends to be difficult to manage (and she straightens it almost daily), and loses hair from stress.  Her routine is different than mine, but she loves all the new ways to take care of hair, and wishes it was around when she was a teenager and straightening her hair on an ironing board. 

what does having pita hair mean?  

also, i'm not looking forward to trying the Ojon either because of the silicones.  it weighs down my fine hair making it flat and i don't like washing out with harsh sulfates either.  i've been doing coconut oil masks to strengthen my hair while using gentile shampoos/conditioners that won't strip out the good oils.  my hair is a lot healthier than it used to be.

My hair is insanely thin and fine (I use child sized barrettes and such). I don't hate cones but in general prefer to avoid the heavier ones like dimethicone and stick with lighter, more easily removed ones like amodimethicone. I do clarify every few weeks, whether I use cones or not because I find that oils buildup too. I use coney serums most often on the last 6" or so of my hair, which is the part most prone to tangling. Sulfates don't really bother me -as I understand it, they aren't a problem unless you have a sensitivity to them but it has become fashionable to avoid them whether you do or not. I do dilute my shampoo in water before I use it - that helps me avoid using too much and stripping my hair of too much oil while still cleaning my scalp.

I've got thin hair and using hair products with sillicones over time made my hair really weighed down and dull; it felt super gross so I try to avoid them now. I use L'oreal eversleek and it makes my hair soft and shiny but not lifeless 

Originally Posted by LisaLeah View Post

That is hilarious!!!!! Did anyone notice if he was wearing a skinny knit tie?

Oh, god - that tie. My boyfriend loves the products he gets in his BBM, but we always have a good laugh at some of the pretentious lifestyle items like the felt wallet and that stupid tie. We refer to it as painfully desperate hipster fashion, but maybe since we're from the woods we just don't "get it" lol. He did love the Marlon Brando shirt and boxers though. 

I'd love to receive something comparable in the ladies' boxes like cool tights or a hair scarf on occasion. Can't be much more cost than those earbuds they sent last summer.

I think my experience is pretty similar to a lot of people who already responded.  I have long-ass hair (currently at my waist, eek).  It's naturally really straight, and I have a lot of fine hair.  I was using loads of silicone products (not on purpose, it's just in everything) and my hair needed so much conditioner.  Like, I couldn't comb it without tons of conditioner, probably plus a leave in or something too.  It was generally rather weighed down and kind of lifeless.  At some point, I read about how silicones can kind of dehydrate your hair - like it seems to make your hair healthier, but at the same time coats the strands and keeps moisture from getting in: short term nice, long-term damage, which was really in line with my experience.

I tried Lush, which is silicone free, and they tell you it has a bit of a curve at the get-go: the first week or so you're kind of like, eek, this sucks, as the silicones are washed out and your hair kind of has to start fending for itself again.  After that first week or so, it was awesome.  Anyway, that was about 3 years ago, and I love my hair now.  I can use really light conditioners - I no longer need the most intense conditioners known to man (like, I used to use weekly treatment style conditioners as a daily conditioner).  My hair dresser no longer tells me my ends are like straw.  My hair feels bouncier and thicker, generally much less weighed down.  

This is not to say that I haven't tried some silicone products accidentally that I've loved (that kerastate crystaliste serum - initially the BB site ingredients were incorrect.  Turns out it DOES contain silicone), but even if being non-silicone is kind of a pain-in-the-ass with sub boxes, I think it's generally a lot less of a pain in the ass, as I think my hair is overall way lower maintenance (and way cheaper) than it used to be.  

Huh. I have always had fine, greasy hair, but I find that as long as I stay away from shampoos that claim to moisturize, I'm okay. *small voice* I like my Herbal Essences shampoo...

Originally Posted by katie danielle View Post

Oh, god - that tie. My boyfriend loves the products he gets in his BBM, but we always have a good laugh at some of the pretentious lifestyle items like the felt wallet and that stupid tie. We refer to it as painfully desperate hipster fashion, but maybe since we're from the woods we just don't "get it" lol. He did love the Marlon Brando shirt and boxers though. 

I'd love to receive something comparable in the ladies' boxes like cool tights or a hair scarf on occasion. Can't be much more cost than those earbuds they sent last summer.

There are a lot of box variations. One time they did send out ModCloth Hair bands. I agree tho!

Some gloves maybe or other beauty related tools as a lifestyle product would be awesome. How about some Pencil sharperner ladies?

I just checked my account page and my shipping info has the number, but when I click on it it goes to the ups site with no info. frown.gif

Originally Posted by Jazbot View Post

There are a lot of box variations. One time they did send out ModCloth Hair bands. I agree tho!

Some gloves maybe or other beauty related tools as a lifestyle product would be awesome. How about some Pencil sharperner ladies?

Ooo I missed the head band. I was hoping they could do it as something they put in all of the boxes like the earbuds.

Originally Posted by CarmenVF View Post

On the plus side, BB sent me a 25% off code as a thank you for subscribing for 12 months. I won't quibble about the fact that I reached that milestone three months ago. The bigger problem is that they sent the code over the holiday and I was out of the country until today and the code expired yesterday. Do you think if I call and plead my case, they'll figure out a way to let me apply it?

Might as well try!

For the ladies that use silicone free shampoo/conditioners, is there any you recommend? My hair is really long and lifeless, I'm starting to think I need to change shampoo/conditioners. There's always this spot at the end of the head that gets really greasy for some reason no matter how I wash it. 

My hair is very thick, dry, and reacts crazily to the Houston humidity. I use Cynthia Sylvia Stout shampoo and Retread conditioner from Lush, and my hair loves them. I do use silicone styling products, though...they really help to keep my hair smooth and add some shine and depth to my color. I also feel that they make it easier to straighten my hair, and protect from flat iron damage.

Bring on the Ojon! 

Originally Posted by queenofperil View Post

Huh. I have always had fine, greasy hair, but I find that as long as I stay away from shampoos that claim to moisturize, I'm okay. *small voice* I like my Herbal Essences shampoo...

I found that my hair ended up being like my skin--when I was a teenager I had oily skin and nasty acne breakouts, and used a lot of acne products.  My mom sent me for a facial once and the girl gave me some gentler cleansers and a moisturizer (which I had always avoided since I was so oily) and my skin normalized (although nowadays it's very dry).  When I stopped washing my hair so much, it stopped getting so greasy.  It did look nasty for a while though, until my scalp adjusted.

(Also, yay my box shipped!)